car covers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: car covers

car covers

Another drizzle of rain and another cause for a heart attack when seeing my 4 wheeled pride and joy in the morning.

While newly washed my black car can shine even at night. What I saw this morning resembled my car in shape but the desert camouflage was playing tricks on my eyes. Im sure a lot of my Sydney fellow drivers will agree that the cars tend to be more fitting in Rommels's Tigers outfit than on Sydney roads in the last few feeks.

So a question.

Has anyone used a car cover that does not rub the corners on the roof stripping paint bare with constant movement caused by the wind?
    Friend of mines Fiat124 developed ugly wear through marks in just 6 months of use of the K-mart item. So what will it be... weekly washing or a car cover?

mallet

<small>[ 27 November 2002, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>

Advertisement
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

UFO
    Sounds like you should get a custom cover made or do some serious shopping around for a quality lined and water proof cover. Could save you a lot of grief.

Make sure though that you can lock it onto the car using a cable and padlock underneath the car.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

its really hard to make a decision weather to cover a black car or not....firstly if u do want one then u must buy one thats fully lined (autotechnica do a good one, comes in a red box)they are not cheap app. $170 for medium size..
    but there are some precautions that u must take into account...firstly...the car (especially black)must be pretty much spotless before u cover it otherwise dirt (grit) builds up which can possibly scratch the car,,,the car must be dry, it must be cool and the cover can only be folded and unfolded on the car itself...ie u cannot allow it to fall onto the ground...if u buy one try and wash the car cover ocasionally....they last longer,...personally i would recommend regular WAXING (good quality carnuba or FIREGLAZE,if u can find it anywhere)at least the grime will wash of much easier and may not penetrate the paint surface....
    ps it helps to know the exact measurement of your vehicle so u can pick the right size...
    cheers

dino:
    ,,,the car must be dry, it must be cool and the cover can only be folded and unfolded on the car itself....personally i would recommend regular WAXING (good quality carnuba or FIREGLAZE,if u can find it anywhere)at least the grime will wash of much easier and may not penetrate the paint surface....
    cheers for that,
    When you said the car must be cool... you mean when the cover is put on and removed? Is that because the paint is softer when its hot?
    And the "waxing" you did mean the car not the cover.... wink (just checking).

Im really in two minds right now about the carcover with the overcast days the car can look like a sandpit overnight. Makes the washing exercise a waste of time. I tend to carry a waterbottle everyday now to apply to the windscreen before i drive off to stop sand scratching the windows.
    Wish I had a garage frown

Voytek,

I really wouldn't bother with a cover, I did for a while on my Micra and the car was dirtier for using it. They're really hard to keep clean, so once you cover a dirty car, the cover gets direty and will continue to leave streaks on your car. Also, overnight your car "sweats" and when this mixes with dirt on the car and cover, the car, more often than not is dirtier for it. FYI, I had a dark green metallic car, so not as bad as black, but pretty close.

I'd recommend that you give the car a decent polish...as I recall your finish isn't that bad, but I'd look at investing in some detailing clay from Mothers or Meguiars and using that to take the grit off the car. I can show u how to do this if you like. Then follow that up with a polish, like Meguiar's Medallian Glaze (might have to get this direct from Meguiars) followed by something like the Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax. I'll be getting some Pinnancle stuff from the US soon as it's "da bomb" for black cars.

Then when you have the car with a nice polish and wax on it, the dirt just slides off. Get yourself a lambswool mitt to wash the car, and a good wash product(anything from Meguiars in this regard is good, I use the Hi Tech Wash, as it doesn't strip the wax, Gold Class wash is good too, but I've seen no huge benefit over Hi-Tech). Wash the car and chamois (again Meguairs chamois is on the the best u can get on the market in Oz) it down, once a week. Yep, with a black car, even when garaged, needs to be washed once a week.

If you have a good coat of polish then the washing task becomes very easy. Much easier that scratching your car with a car cover (ok, if it's lined you might not scratch it as much, but I just don't think it's worth it).

You're more than welcome to come around to my place and I'll help you out with it. Meguiars is just around the corner from me, so you can pick up your stuff direct from them.

I sound like a real Meguiars junkie, but on the Australian market there is minimal quality choice available, and at this stage it's the only stuff I know. I'll be switching to some more exotic stuff soon, though.

- Lincoln
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

I've had the luxury of being able to park my car undercover in Sydney for the past 3 or so years, but we are moving to Maroubra soon.

The thought of parking my car on the street, exposed to theives, weather and salt is freaking me out!

Makes me just want to buy a 504 shitheap.

macquered:

HEHE I can see severe case of bashing coming on from those 504 owners.
    mallet

Lincoln,
    My car is washed and waxed at least once every two weeks. The "rain" we have been having is nothing more than an excuse to drop sand on my car. Not heavy enough to wash it off, just enought to make it wet and ready for the sand. Check out all darker cars on the roads today eek!
    I might have to invest in some quality wash that doesnt strip the wax off though. Thanks for the tip.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Wow, I am impressed, your black cars last for a week before looking dirty?? Mine last about 1hours before I can see a coating of dust on it

I'd like to get some cheap car covers, to cover the cars around the yard so 'her inside' doesn't get sick of looking at them

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

My car is parked under cover at work and at home. Although with the weather being so hot the under cover spots at work fill up quickly, so I have had to park on the roof away from trees (my building is in a forest, it's very hard to not park under a tree, so prefer direct sunlight than tree sap and bug poo). I drive about 400kms a week, and it needs a wash by Sunday, but it's not too bad by then...it definately needs a wash by Tuesday if I skip the weekend wash.

Voytek, yep, there is a lot of dirt in the air still from that dust storm, so a little bit of rain and mix it with that dirt that settles on the car, and you get that horrible speckled stuff. I've been tempted to just hose the car down when it looks like that. First spray it hard to dislodge the dirt and then rinse the car down (with solid water, take the nozzle off and hold the hose close to the panel and cover the panel with water). With enough wax, the dirt should lift off and the water should bead away.

Anyway, in this weather, it wouldn't be hard to wash it a couple of times a week. Use a gentle wash though, and you'll keep that coat of wax. Waxing every two weeks is completely unnecessary, if you find you HAVE to do that, it would normally mean that your detergent is too abrasive. Try something gentler.

Oh, and one more thing, ALWAYS wash you car when it's cool and wax out of direct sunlight on a cool car. This is so the detergent doesn't dry on the car, resulting in water marks (especially on a black car) and so the wax doesn't set too quickly. If you have trouble doing your car out of the sun, then I'd suggest looking into polishing the car as a 2 step process.

- Lincoln
    - Lincoln

macquered:

There are no "504 shitheaps"......only loved and less loved 504s .....

All 504s need some love
    ________
    Headshops
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 05:18 AM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    rain ?????????????
    can someone tell me what this is
    all we get falling out of the air is dust
    we look out over the town and all we see is a red fog
    add that to not allowed to wash a car here
    equals brown cars that used to be diablo red and the other blue
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

DTwo:
    There are no "504 shitheaps"......only loved and less loved 504s .....

All 504s need some love
    Too right!

I reckon I could love that one currently in the for sale section. What a weapon!

i too suffer from black car syndrome, black leather, black racing seat, i even got balck allen studs on my wheels...
    my 7 year old S16 is very pampered, its only driven once on thrice a week washed twice (car lovers close buy) and i too use the Gold Class and Zymol stuff. But ussually mix a little metho in the water bucket for the initial rinse, rub hot water into the wax (zymol) as i take it off. According to the pug logg books, im 25000 k's under expected milage for the age of the car, but even so black cars are just hard to keep black only..
    a good car cover can be from terry toweling purchased from a manchester store etc. but do as the others suggest tie it down (velcro straps???) and please get and alarm/immobiliser!!!!
    xqisid
    ... ptui!

What Zymol product are you using? Are you happy with it?

Pugrambo, yeah, we haven't had much rain over this way either, the dam near me that is used for recycled water is the lowest I've ever seen it. Sorry to sound so flippant about water on the east coast here, but my suburb recycles all it's water and is reused for watering lawns, etc. I'm pretty proud of that! (BTW, I live in the old Athletes Village at Olympic Park).

<small>[ 28 November 2002, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

I have used most of he Zymol gear tha stuff i the white bottles and the stuff in the silver bottles, except for the leather cleaner as a soft solution of tanex and sunscreen with hot water works best, a good trick from my comercial cleaning days.
    Is that NEWYNGTON or near by?? i live real close and my mate lives in Lyberty Grove.
    xqisid
    ... ptui!

Where do you get Zymol from in Sydney?
    - Lincoln

and the other question (3 years later ) is what's the story with car covers that are like portable tents that you move around as you need them and you just drive undernearth them. Where exactly do you buy them from and what are they called?
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    and the other question (3 years later ) is what's the story with car covers that are like portable tents that you move around as you need them and you just drive undernearth them. Where exactly do you buy them from and what are they called?
    Try this:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DVXA,DVXA:2005-04,DVXA:en&q=portable+garages
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Best bet if your renting would be to keep an eye out for supercheap specials on those single carport/tent things that have zip on walls (couple of hundred bux ?)

I would NOT, EVER, ever, ever put a car cover on a black ca (unless it's parked in a shed). Personally I think they do far more damage than good.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Of course you could always stop buying black cars.
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    Of course you could always stop buying black cars.
    Seams like we are slowly reverting back to the days of the Model T, when all you could get was black.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

It's an UAV so what's wrong when it looks like one?

i spoke to someone with one of those portable garages and it just eems to move away when it's windy - that doesnt sound too exciting

I think I'll just have to do more detailing and then use my car cover when the paint's clean. It's a lot of work though...
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

"The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

I have had a black car for two years. While it looks great when it's clean, it very rarely is. I never bothered getting a car cover for mine as I was worried about getting scratches from dirt already on the car.

My car is always garaged, but I really think when you buy a black car you have to factor in the extra hours of maintenance that it requires. I religiously wash mine each weekend, but even then it really only stays clean for a day or two before a fine coat of dust/dirt can be seen.

If you can keep it polished nicely you should be able to keep it clean a lot easier, it takes about half the time as most of it just runs off.

The best solution is to not buy a black car.
    2005 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

Thread Information