Calling Melbourne-ites + GP fans
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Calling Melbourne-ites + GP fans

I'm going to be coming over to the GP in March next year. Gotta support the Yellow and Blue.
    GO renault_ Go Alonso

It's going to be a brillant guys weekend away, four of us, me, one Jag supporter, one Toyota supporter and one McLaren boy.

Anyway just wondering if it's going to be cheaper to go with a package or try and do it myself. Flights and GP tickets are not problems, the issue is accomodation. What are our chances of getting some? Does the place get booked out? I'd prefer something close to the track so we dont have to stuble around transport problems. Oh yeah and it'g gotta be cheap. hehe

Advertisement

Oh yeah, and on the off chance that we dont want to spend 4 whole days at the track, what other cool things are there to see and do in/around Melbourne. Especially car related.

Cheers

nJm
    Motor show is usually around the same time of year isn't it? Might be late Feb, not sure. If you go, make sure you go during the day on the first day (usually a thursday or friday?), as that is when all the city workers come down to have a look - therefore all the nice BMWs etc are open. They lock most of them on the weekends to stop kids playing around with them.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

The Fox Motor Museum is great
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Izza:
    Oh yeah, and on the off chance that we dont want to spend 4 whole days at the track, what other cool things are there to see and do in/around Melbourne.

Cheers
    Well, on the off chance that you don't feel like watching the race itslef, or the final practice sessions, you'll probably find that there is a pre-season match of real football on!

You know, the game that requires skill and athleticism, rather than just a bunch of blokes sticking their heads in between other peoples bums? evil

Another alternative might be to spend some time comparing the way Australia treats refugees from sinking boats, compared to the NZ approach. I'm sure our Immigration head honcho, Phillip Ruddock ,must have organised a ritual roasting of some Iranian or Afghani family for that day somewhere.

Cheers

Rod wink

<small>[ 04 September 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!
    There are several bacpackers around St kilda, not sure how much space would be available, I suspect the motels close to the track get booked out, there will be some accomodation somewhere in the city.

Access to the track via the tram system is excellent, so if you found a place close to a tram you would be ok for transport. Don't rely on cars as you can't park within co-ee and the parking inspectors are like flies.

The motor show is excellent, and always co-incides with the GP, the trackside displays are great also, so you can easily spend a day at the track without seeing any GP cars and not be bored.

I personally have a much lower opinion of the Fox museum than that mentioned above, some of the classic car dealers have almost as good a show in their showrooms, and its free !

I live within walking distance of Alber Park, and each year watch the race on TV with the sound effects coming in the window. You get much better view and coverage of the actual race. I would definitely suggest going Thu, Fri and Sat. A

Also, don't expect to see much of the GP cars unless you have a pit pass, the V8 supercars are the most accessible of any meeting i have been to

Fellow Frogger!
    Does anyone know what date the 2004 Melb GP is ?

The official Australian Grand Prix site says the 4 - 7 March 2004 subject to FIA confirmation.

More info here:

<a href="http://www.grandprix.com.au/cars03/" target="_blank">Foster's Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne</a>

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Fellow Frogger!
    Having been a Rally fan for ages, I'm used to getting right up close.
    Guess that's gonna have to change.
    Truth be told I aint going to the GP to see the cars, you can do that every 2nd weekend on TV. What I'm going for is the sound, the smell and the atmoshpere. There is nothing else on this planet that sounds quite like 20F1 cars screaming past.
    Even if I only ever go to one race, it's just something I gotta do.

Rod:
    And as for football? You dont mean that silly sport where they wear shorts that would embarass males strippers? bounce the ball every few steps and with refs that make silly pointing gestures? ahh no thanks, none of us coming over are really rugby fans so I dont think Oz rules would be our thing.

At the moment were gonna spend a couple of days either side of the GP to have a look round Melbourne. So keep these ideas coming guys.

You dont have some spare lawn for a tent do ya Peter? just kidding

Fellow Frogger!
    hiya izza, i live in an apartment, the balcony has just about enough room for a single matress, great view though !!

1000+ Posts
    Izza:
    And as for football? You dont mean that silly sport where they wear shorts that would embarass males strippers?
    Maybe twenty years ago...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information