Your automotive bookshelf
  • Register
  • Help

Your automotive bookshelf

One of my other fetishes (apart from French cars and Apple Macs) is books. Somewhere around 7500 of them at last count crammed into shelves all over the joint.

Advertisement

But my "automotive" category is really pretty thin. Maybe a dozen workshop manuals, a few "how to" guides, a couple of books on advanced driving, and a couple of things of the "auto history" variety. Maybe 25- 30 all up.

What are on other AussieFrogs automotive bookshelves? And what's the car book that you just couldn't live without?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!
    I only have about 4 repair manuals and a small folder of print outs...
    Having recently moved out of home and living by myself, in a small unit, books are very heavy and takes up a lot of non-compressible space....

i dont have many hardback books on mi shelves apart from a few 205 manuals.

but ive managed to errr collect well over one hundred odd car mags through the years... everything from top gear, max power and car to our humble wheels and motor publications.

i manage to re-read them every now and then (great toilet read ).

its also kinda peculiar to see how certain cars were perceived and how they are veiwed nowadays.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Cal
    I have been trying over the years to put together an extensive motoring book collection. The problem is the cost of each book. I am always on the look out for automotive books on sale.

Some of my favourites are Nick Mason's "Into the Red", "Portraits of 60's Formula 1" (Konemann publication) and "World Sportscars 1945-1980" (also Konemann, I think).

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Hi all,

Most of my books are computer oriented i.e magazines, Linux, CCNA etc. I have a few workshop manuals for various cars I have owned: Triumph MkII, Mini, Gemini etc. One book I have found very useful over the years is The Petrol Injection Book for Automobiles (borrowed from Concord Library 29/03/82). It covers Kugelfischer KF 1&2 (404) and the Lucas PI MkII as fitted to the Triumph 2.5. I found it an excellent reference for these PI systems.

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

A good pile of info is "Sporting Peugeot 205s" by Dave Thornton. Chronicles the 205, special editions, everything you'd want to know.

Nick

I thought we'd have some replies from some of the Citroen people by now, talking about some of those glorious coffee table numbers on the marque that I used to eye lasciviously at the Applied and Technical bookshop in Swanston Street!

One of my favourites is the Repco Engine Maintenance Manual, dating from the early 80's (don't know if there is a current edition) - taught me a huge amount about the sorts of engines that were typical in the 50's 60's and 70's.

Another is an advanced driving book by Graham Hill.

A third is a guide to car buying by Pedr Davis, written about the time the CX came out. Great comparative info on cars on sale new and second hand at about that time.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod,
    Probably like most i have things like Haynes manuals, a 306 one i keep handy. Lots of Karting books which ive collected just recently. And obscure things like "SENNA" the latin america edition, and photo book on champion race cars, covering F1, WRC, US Drag racing, Indycars, BTCC, German touring Cars and even aussie V8's.
    I even lucky-dipped at a Shannons stand a copy of a Ferrari F1 SOUNDS CD, which is basically recorded sound of the Ferrari car going round diferent tracks. Awesome in DOLBY P.L II.
    As for what id like, i could be spoilt here... My godfather working for Swift Egineering could get me just about anything on American and Japanes racing. But thats later as i read very little unless i trully want to. Like kartin is taking up most of my time now. - chris
    ... ptui!

Hi Rod,

I've got "The Original DS" and am tragic enough to know where the errors are in it! I've got several other D books, but none of the French language ones - that's why we have a car club library!!

One of my favourite motoring books is Georgano's Encyclopaedia of Motoring, which lists almost every make (and model) of car up until the late 70's. Perfect for the trivia freaks.

I also treasure a copy of Automobile Year 1955, which I picked up in the mid 70s for next to nothing - has got the launch of the DS, as well as a report on the famous Mercedes accident at Le Mans, with horrifying slo-mo pictures.

I have just finished a clean out of all my mags - I have scanned everything I had with Cit or Froggy interest, and will pass it on to gibgib once I have made pdfs of it all.

Paul

ps Just noticed you are a Mac fan - I am trying to resurrect an eMate at the moment! Tha't my only (sort of) Mac experience!!

<small>[ 03 September 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Paul Smith ]</small>
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

nJm
    I've recently bought an old Powermac to play with . I've turned it into an internet router for my home network. It is a 7200/120 with OS 8.6, works well (and it is nice to use a mac again after all these years).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

UFO
    I mostly rely on the club library. CCC of NSW has a rather extensive library. With Cit books, quite often by the time we find they are available, the club may have bought the last copy available in Aus, and sometimes there are bugger all left worldwide.

I hear that a revised version of Citroen A to X is coming out soon. dance
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

nJm:
    I've recently bought an old Powermac to play with . I've turned it into an internet router for my home network. It is a 7200/120 with OS 8.6, works well (and it is nice to use a mac again after all these years).
    Ah, you'll have to drop over to the Apple discussion boards at <a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@" target="_blank">http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@</a> Nick. I spend a fair amount of time on the iMac, Airport, PowerBook 12" and PB1400 forums . There is still a fairly active group there running pre G3 desktop macs too though. A good OS8.6 group too.

Pretty amazing the number of Macs of that era still doing good work. I reckon they qualify as the 504's of the computer world!

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 03 September 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Cal:
    I have been trying over the years to put together an extensive motoring book collection. The problem is the cost of each book. I am always on the look out for automotive books on sale.
    Be there at the opening of the Bookfest's first morning, Cal, you'll get stuff there! Over the past twelve year's I've amassed a stack of stuff from that source and others.

Just a few months ago, I picked up The Official 50-Race History of the Australian Grand Prix at a Bookfest in Canberra... just the thing to send my Atlas friend, Mike Argetsinger, in Chicago. Fortunately I was able to save on postage too... Frank Matich delivered it during one of his business trips.

Now this is a book you all should have. A complete resume of every race from 1928 to 1985 (we didn't know about the 1927 event then!), all well-researched and not too many errors.

Along with that, you can still buy new (but not for much longer!) John Medley's Bathurst - The Cradle of Australian Motor Racing. 494 pages, 804 pictures, a report on every race (that's right, every single race) plus practice events etc at the Mountain between 1938 and 1973 except the enduros. Grab it quick!

When I was just a lad I bouoght BRM (Raymond Mays and Peter Roberts), Design and Behaviour of the Racing Car (Moss and Pomeroy), All But My Life and A Turn At The Wheel (Moss), Speed Was My Life (the now somewhat discredited Neubauer), The Book of Australian Motor Racing (Tuckey), The Ultimate Excitement (Nigel Snowden's pics) and Grand Prix Racing Facts and Figures (Monkhouse/King-Farlow).

But the book I decided was the most wanted was A Boot Full of Right Arms... and I picked that up to read again. Having been absorbed by that, I reached out and bought Dust and Glory, a novel by the same author (Evan Green), and it was okay, so I bought Adam's Empire too, but haven't read it.

All kinds of motor racing picture books, history books and so on are included. Many of the Australian yearbooks (from Chevron) are included, and I've also picked up spares of a lot of these for passing on to others wanting them.

Magazines I've never stopped buying. Racing Car News I have (in their binders) from august '63 to the end of '83, with a smattering through to '87 or so. Most of Motor Racing Australia... Australian Motor Sport I managed to get bound volumes from 1946 to 1950, while virtually my whole collections of Road & Track, Car & Driver, Sports Car Graphic, Sports Car World, Modern Motor and Motor Sport have been wiped out over the years by various evil persons. Motor Sport has staged a bit of a recovery since my brother found 17 years of them at a market and I got a stack from Motorbook World and others have come into my possession. And Sports Car World I found in some numbers at another Market and a garage sale.

In short, I've got enough to get me into trouble. Plenty of trouble...

My cousin Graham's book, 4 Stroke Performance Tuning is on the shelf, a gift from him, the Tuckey Bathurst book and some other Bathurst annuals etc.

One that I use frequently is The World Guide to Automobiles (I'd want to, I paid $20 for that, it's by Georgano, Baldwin, Sedgewick and Laban, details the history of about 1000 makes of cars), I have recently picked up Stirling Moss (Robert Raymond) and I sometimes turn to the paperback The Rise and Fall of Peter Brock (Tuckey... probably the best thing he ever did). Mike Hawthorn's Champion Year and Carlotti Takes the Wheel are here too, and then there's the totally different but absorbing (should be mandatory reading!) The Smoking Business (Larry C White).

Several dictionaries, atlases galore, Australian road directories with and without descriptions of places... the cupboards start to bulge. And there are road maps of every state, most countries on the face of the earth (well, maybe not most of them, but a goodly percentage of the ones I'm likely to want to know about...) and a couple of workshop manuals. Pug ones, of course...

Of course, a few CAMS Manuals are somewhere at the bottom of the pile...

<small>[ 04 September 2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Ray Bell ]</small>

Cal
    Ray Bell:
    Speed Was My Life[/i] (the now somewhat discredited Neubauer)
    Why do you say that Ray? Because the Nazi's funded the Silver Arrows racing program?

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

No, not at all...

The fact is that some of his recounting of events have included a deal of romance.

For instance, the famous (or infamous) Lottery Grand Prix at Tripoli, the level of 'rigging' that he claims went on, the actual events of the day, they've been shown to be incorrect.

This was the subject of an article in Motor Sport in 1969. However, the picture-book Motor Sport of recent times retrieved the story from Neubauer and printed it as gospel!

There's a thread on TNF about it...

<a href="http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=956" target="_blank">http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=956</a>

Well worth reading...

Cal
    Oh, I thought you ment discredited as a person, not his word.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Same thing, is it not?

You are surely only as good as your integrity and honesty?

As for the Nazi infusion, I gather that wasn't as big as might have been imagined. Auto Union, for instance, spent a great deal less that M-B did, and they weren't that far behind in achieving results, they would have similar government funding.

Now if you're a Liberal voter, and you owned Lakeside, and the Labor government offered you money to restore the place to the glory it deserves, do you not take that money?

Actually, Neubauer seems to have had quite some disdain for the Nazis. He is recorded as having taken off Hitler and some of his speeches in very private circumstances... and that's from a British source.

Cal
    Ray Bell:
    Now if you're a Liberal voter, and you owned Lakeside, and the Labor government offered you money to restore the place to the glory it deserves, do you not take that money?
    roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

That would be nice!
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Some books that I have collected or read have been Duncan Hamilton's autobio, Nigel Mansels, Alain Prosts, Peugeot 205T16 WRC history(ferward by a certain Jean Todt)Mine), 205 GTI Enthusiasts Handbook, A Peugeot history of 100 Years(Mine), WRC Annual 2000(Mine-found in a sale last january for 19.95. 206WRC first winning year with Marcus).
    Various older Classic Marques books-Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, other Ferrari books, a Classic Encyclopaedia of Cars(listed 205 Gti and 405MI16 as two of PEUGEOT's iconic cars), various workshop manuals of 505, 405 and 205 & Datsun 1600(H810)-I once owned 3 over different years, they were light years ahead of Pommie cars which were just about all we could get in NZ then.
    And of course heaps of mags like UK Autocar, UK Car(favourite), Practical Classics, Classic and Sports car, NZ Classic Car, Tarmac(NZ) and Driver(NZ) & Wheels(for giant tyre tests-v, good usually
    Don(2x 405MI16's and a 205 CTi Cab) wink mallet

1000+ Posts
    Without going through my whole shelf in detail, the most useful book I can recommend is the Bosch Automotive Handbook - about the size of a dictionary, and $90 to $140 depending on the edition, but quite frankly one of the best and most complete technical books ever for the car fan.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I have an intersting Evan Green book called Journeys With Gelignite Jack. It covers a trip in a new Mini and Austin 1800 in 1965 from Wilson's Prom to Rockhampton, west through Boulia to Alice, Ayer's Rock and through the Peterman Range to Giles, down the Gunbarrel and out through Meekatharra to Carnarvon, up to Darwin, down to Adelelaide and out through Broken Hill to Sydney.
    It was to test a new kind of oil in harsh conditions, and Gelignite Jack Murray was one of the drivers. Some VERY interesting situations like a hydrolastic puncture 500 miles from the nearest BMC garage. You would never think a Mini would get through, but it did.
    I have heaps of magazines and workshop manuals, and quite a few car books too, but most of them are secondhand as new books are too expensive. I have read heaps from the library though.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information