Leather Dressing
  • Register
  • Help

Leather Dressing

I've been using Ge Wy & another saddlery dressing in a can from a local saddler but they are more of a paste than a re-moisturiser.
    Can anyone recommend anything more runny?
    With Ge Wy, I apply in the morning & leave the car in stinkin' hot sun all day (soaks it in) & park it back in the garage until next use (usually try to make it a week). Only then do I remove the excess & buff it up.
    This works OK but I'm finding I need to apply more often now (4-5 months) & it's thirstier eek!

cheers! a_drink approve cheers!

Advertisement

I've only ever used Meguiars, and I'm quite happy with the results, but it's also a pastey sort of thing. I've been told that Leatherique products are the way to go - I'm waiting for my Meguiars bottle to run out so I can try something new.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Jez 405:
    Leatherique products are the way to go
    From auto shops?

Gibgib, not sure that leaving the car "in the stinking hot sun all day" is a good idea, eek! I would have thought that under those circumstances you are literally frying the leather, I'm using Mothers (from your local Super Cheap) at the moment, not cheap next to Ge Wy but it is more of a cream than an oil, I should be using it more regularly than I do though especially now we are moving into summer.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i have always used ge wy on all my leather cars
    leave the car in the sun for a while to open the pores up in the leather
    apply the ge wy
    go back to the car a couple of hours later to buff excess off in the shade
    i have tried many other products and thrown most of them in the bin and returned to ge wy only because it's about the only dressing i have founds that actually softens leather seats in 604's
    and if anything can do that it has to be good
    i use ge wy in the GTI-6 at the begining of summer and and the end of summer
    even my g/f was surprised at how well it treated the seats in her 604
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

gibgib:
    Jez 405:
    Leatherique products are the way to go
    From auto shops?
    From the guys on the (US) Roadfly BMW E32 7 Series messageboard. Leatherique products are available in Australia but I think it's mailorder only. I've seen some pictures of rejuvenated BMW seats using Leatherique and it looks pretty impressive.
    Do a search on <a href="http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/forums" target="_blank">http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/forums</a> if you're interested.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

UFO
    Based on a recommendation from a friend who is into Alfa Romeos, and has some of the best cared for cars I have ever seen....

I use Eagle One leather dressing on the seats in the XM. It is a cream and you actually put it on with your hands - even tells you to on the bottle as "to use a cloth wastes product". I slap it on and rub it in, leave it for a while and buff off with an old towel. Comes up a treat!

My friend Bill has used EO for years and you would think that the seats in his recently traded twin spark 75 were brand new.

My 2 cents
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Guys

I use Leatherique on my 1988 R25 and I will not use another product for leather again.
    It is great stuff.
    I was using the meguires stuff before and though it was OK, I didn't find that it worked half as well as the Leatherique. I always found the white residue from the Meguires hard to remove from the leather.

The leatherique is applied and left in the sun to soak into the leather. It actually works. The leather is much more supple and does not stain in any way. The actual liquid is similar in look and feel to vegetable oil.

You can also get a separate leatherique cleaner that does a fine job too.

I got my issue from mail order, the add can be found in the Unique cars magazine or on the webite.

Hope this helps.

regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

meguires has a built in cleaner...so i dont recommend it on good leatheR (ie clean leather) I USE MOTHERS (conditioner) myself and i think it does the job very well...what i must recomend to everybody is as much the choice of leather conditioner is important...regular application is cruical...especially on dark leathers, cars that are not garaged, convertibles.....also the tops of seats, especially under rear screen, should get either a heavier application or more frequent....

Thread Information