Backdating of froggies
  • Register
  • Help

Backdating of froggies

Was just looking at a couple of postings where different owners have owned other cars and through circumstances (overseas postings) have owned something Froggy over there & returned with the intention of buying something similar to what they had before they left but due to the "Froggy Experience" have ended up back in Frogland.
    This happens overseas also; I've heard of guys with fairly new Audis, Cossies and general run of the mill cars who have bought a Froggy for no other reason that it was cheap and could be used as a daily "goin' to work 'n shopping" type of transport who have enjoyed the driveability of the knockaround so much they've sold the flashy expensive chariot, restored the old cheapy and become francophiles. I even know someone out here who owns a C-5 & recently bought a BX and now says he's "enjoying driving again." Now these guys are all long term owners, but out of curiosity, has anyone ever found someone who was say a long term Froggy owner who suddenly found the excitement of owning a Holden Camira or a white Camry so great that they have ditched Froggies for these 'greener' pastures?
    I don't mean the type of owner who bought a Pug because he thought it "looked nice," got ripped off big time by a local repairer & traded it on a new Dunnydore vowing never to own another "foreign car" again.
    Could it be with Froggies that masochists own them & sadists recommend them? mallet

Alan S cheers!

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

good point Alan S. Im not speaking for my self but, in my country of origin the "back to the good ol' ...."
    happens alot except, we go back to Fiats and Pugs..... from Nissans and Acura's.
    Being youg now, i often get asked why a PUg,(instead of ajap turbo rice thing), but when my family back home found out i bought a froggy the sent me cogratulations cards!!
    I even have ideas for a 404 or something to retore around that era, froggy ofcourse.
    ARE you falling into that, what are you gong back too? a bomodore?
    Or am i missig your point?
    cheers xqisid.
    ... ptui!

No mate, no risk there I seem to have been a bit of a motoring nomad having started with a Renault, gone the BMC route, bought & sold a 'olden then got involved in Toyota back in the days when they made cars that were more interesting than the boring crap of the past decade or so, back with the General when I had the driving school which was as good a reason I could find to sell the school; get rid of the bloody GMH garbage, got into Cits in '84 and went with an open mind with every intention of changing or changings sake a couple of years ago, had a look at what was round & flew to Sydney and picked up another Cit.
    What I was looking at was if there were any owners who knew people who were froggy owners, genuine froggy owners, who had left the fold as it were & gone to another brand.
    I know of one in the UK where the guy owned a BX diesel estate and a hatch and right out of the blue, dropped both and bought.....a F*^d Focus and a Ka (what exquisite taste hey) mallet and now is constantly lurking around the board doing the od posting about what a pile of junk he bought & hopes to soon buy another Cit so he can't really count.
    They get a lot over there where you often get these young twits buying because they're cheap, posting like crazy with no obvious knowledge of cars in general, disappearing after firstly having a big cry about how much strife they've had, whilst you can get other young guys who buy them as a marns of cheap transport (often to Uni) and soon become fully addicted. It's a phenomena that seems almost unique to French cars which is what prompted the question.

Alan S cheers!

what uk sites?.. i agree though, speciall with the young ones like me, we seem toget easily disharted and end up ith wih something boring,
    xqisid

ps my boss owns a gt4 any good?
    ... ptui!

When I was car shopping for my first car and decided on getting a Pug 505, I met a lady who was selling her 505 GTi after having it for 10 years or more. It turned out her family had owned Peugeots for the past 25 years or so, her son had also gone froggy and drove a 306 I think.

Anyway, she'd decided to sell the Pug to buy a mid 80s Corolla (oh gawd... eek! ). Her reason for selling was that she wanted a smaller more economical car, but I believe it was really because the Pug's maintainance was getting a bit expensive for her as a few major things were needing attention. She said that she would have gone for another Pug but couldn't really afford one.

After test driving it, I liked the car and told her that I'd buy it if the results of a VACC test came back good. She agreed so I said I'd organise the test the next day.

Early the day after, she called me saying that she'd gone to see the Corolla she planned on buying, and her actual words were "I nearly puked when I saw it"!

She absolutely hated it, didn't like the way it drove, it's looks, comfort, smell (the owners of the car kept dogs in the back seat, which also left dog hair everywhere). She'd decided not to sell the Pug after all, much to my disappointment and her son's annoyance (he'd gone to all the effort of advertising it). She said she must have been mad to consider any other car, and she just loved her 505 too much to sell it.

Good decision!

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

well I think my fathers starting to regret his descision to buy a Verada ..... Well it's to late now, he's already sold his car to me roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau mallet mallet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Wonder if he'll replace it with a C3??
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!
    this is probably the right post to continue.
    With all these froggy owners, did you just decide one day that they were the car you wanted or were you in effect brought up in a froggy car family?
    My father, mother, sister and myself were unhappy inmates of japanese camps in the former dutch east indies. As a result after the war, and dear old dad being fanatical anti fascist as well, we could not possibly have german, italian or later when japs became available, jap cars. Immediately after the war his first car was a ford prefect (!!!), which forever precluded anything british. So what was left? French cars.
    Peugeot 202, 203, Renault Dauphine, Simca 1100.
    As a result I could only look at french cars, my first car was a Salmson (the only thing I could afford then)
    Coming to Australia in the late 60s got me into a mid 60s Falcon (in-laws) which cured me forever of Australian cars, then made two mistakes - a Ford Anglia (why didn't I listen to Dad?) and a beetle, which wasn't too bad I suppose.
    Then slightly more affluent, the only car I ever bought new, a Renault 12. Because of circumstances we needed a 4wd for a while, therefore Landcruiser and Subaru. Then enlightenment again a Peugeot 505 STI, marvellous vehicle, cheap to maintain because nothing ever went wrong and brakepads for all four wheels cost less than brakepads for the front of a subaru.
    Finally the old Pug is starting to look a bit shabby, although mechanically still fine. Started looking around for something else, communications with some froggie members, PeterT about his MI16, didn't get my money together in time, Haakon about his R25 - but auto... - recently Miryam about her R25 in Sydney, lots of advise and suggestions from various froggy members and club members. THEN found in the Trading Post a Citroen BX 16v, flew to Sydney (another froggy member suggested that one should be prepared to travel to get the right car, thank you), saw the car and bought it. Haven't enjoyed a drive from Sydney to Bega like that for a long long time. Got over my fear for hydraulics and await advice from all and sundry on how to treat this fantastic piece of transport.
    Haven't become unfaithful to Peugeot though, handed the old 505 over to my No.1 daughter and still have a 404 ute in mothballs for near-future re-appearance.
    Thanks to all those who were so kind as to give me really worthwhile advice and support.
    W

I guess you mean people like Paul Quinn...

An absolutely dedicated Pug owner... 203s, 403s, 404s, 504s... then there was the things he did with them...

Daimler 2.5 V8 in the 203, Alfa 1600 and 504 rear end in the 504, P76 V8 in a 504.

He rallied these cars, so it's understandable that he was pursuing more performance...

Then there were the cars he resurrected. Rusty cars became patched to worthwhile again, he stopped at nothing to rebuild cars.

Then he got into Jaguars and Range Rovers and also 260Zs... now he has some of each of these types (well, 300Z now) and I don't think there's a Pug to be seen...

Alan S:
    snip ... out of curiosity, has anyone ever found someone who was say a long term Froggy owner who suddenly found the excitement of owning a Holden Camira or a white Camry so great that they have ditched Froggies for these 'greener' pastures? ...snip

Alan S cheers!
    I hate to say it, but my late father actually went down this path - or one more or less like it.

He bought his first Peugeot 403 in France in 1956, and shipped it out to Australia (got stuck in the Suez Canal on the way - first registered in NSW with the number plate BFN 688 - don't suppose anyone knows its fate?) . We went back to England in the early 60's, where Peugeots were non-existent in those days, and he loaned the 403 to my uncle, who subsequently bought his own . In England we suffered with a Humber , but had a good beetle and then a kombi for the inevitable travels around Europe. he took me to a car show when we were thinking about the Kombi, and nearly returned home with an ID and camping trailer instead. Unfortunately though some sort of change occured in the cost of bringing vehicles back to Australia around this time, and it was decided that the kombi would be easier to sell. I was in love with the Citroen for life though.

When we arrived back he got rid of the old 403 and bought a new one (1964 403B model). Next step , though , was an Audi 80 (quelle horreur). This broke down with great regularity, developed a major case of iron rot, and he returned to the fold with a 404 wagon. The 403 had been passed on to me by this time .

Then came a new wife, so he bought a second 404 wagon! Ultimately rust killed the first one off (too much time on the Sydney beach front and he wasn't very good at washing cars)

When the second one began to fray around the edges though they bought a Subaru --- the beginning of the end... (this was the car his second wife was sitting in the rush hour in , on Mona Vale road ,when the Lambourghini landed on top of her). By this the new Peugeot 505's were getting out of his price range and he never felt comfortable with S/H cars after the Audi.

Then came.... ahhhhh.... a Nitsubishi (the spelling is intentional) Sigma wagon. My father used to live up on top of Bilgola plateau, and driving this thing down the bends to the bottom of the hill was worse than trying to handle a 1950's doubledecker bus.

Plough understeer that had you heading for the cliff one minute and a head-on collision the next. You could actually feel the front struts collapsing under the strain when turning a 30 degree bend at 15 kph. God it was awful. Then he bought another one!

A Mazda 121 and then a Daihatsu Pyzar saw him out.

He still always liked travelling in my 505 wagon though.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Well there is a thing called poetic justce.

Just arrived back from a hurried trip to Brisbane where we bought ANOTHER BX 16V at a damaged vehicle auction. The car has been declared a "Statutory write off" and was a car that someone contacted me about that was for sale ay Wynumn a few weeks ago. As such, it can't be re-registered which isn;'t a problem to us as it's going to be rebuilt as a dedicated track car; mid life crisis my wife calls it So look out Noosa Hillclimb, Pittsworth Sprints and so on in a year or so; nice to see the froggys represented.
    That's the good news...my eldest son (the one about to be disinherited) took me through to the Southside where he proceeded to show me his latest aquasition.... a bloody rice box eek! eek! Nissan, I first thought, then he lifted the bonnet and took me round the back to read the badges; R-32 GT-R V spec according to the guy at the compliance place a la' Richards/Skaife Bathurst winning car.
    So guess who's going to have this piece of Jap mororing history looking at him in the backyard until the paperwork all comes through???

I'll bloody kill him!!! No wonder he went & bought the 16 valver first..

Alan S

P.S. Thought that might raise a few eyebrows

Deary me, a turbo ricebox on the hallowed turf of Chateau AS! That's nearly as bad as me having a Land Rover in the yard clown
    The bloke with too many BX's

Ah well, Allan and Dave. Ay least you can take heart from the fact the Renault now more or less own Nissan, and Australian Peugeot's used to be assembled / finished off by Leyland!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod Hagen:
    .....Australian Peugeot's used to be assembled / finished off by Leyland!
    It gets worse than that...

The reason for the Peugeot assembly being done by Leyland was that the Gov't introduced a sliding scale of sales tax on cars dependent on local content... and then they put a ceiling on assembly numbers based on the previous year's output.

Leyland had dropped the Dolomite, which sold in some numbers, apparently (no telling why, and you wouldn't know now... they're all so dead!), and Peugeot had a car that fitted into that capacity class that needed assembling here to keep the price in check.

So late 504s and early 505s (I think that's right...) were the replacement for Dolomites!

Yuch!

Thread Information