Dumb Question
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Dumb Question

Fellow Frogger!

Dumb Question

OK guys dumb question.

How can you tell PCD, Offset and C/Bore with regards to wheels? Pics/diagrams would be great.

Also, can the PCD/offset of the wheel be changed? Does a lowered car affect these things? If so can you work out the effect?

Just an example the only difference between a 206&306 is the offset 25 and 15...22 respectively. Can either be made to fit to the other car?

Advertisement

I know I'll be told forget about it, don't bother etc etc...

But I'm only asking cause I'm curious how it all works.

The PCD is the Pitch Circle Diametre. Measure from the centre of one stud through the centre of the wheels rotation to one on the other side. in the case of a four stud wheel pattern.

The offset is the amount in distance by which the centre of the wheel (were the studs are) To were the actual centre line of the wheel is. Ie if the wheel is 8 inch wide its centre line will be 4 inch. if the inside edge of the stud centre is five inches then the offset is 1 inch.

Best to chat to a wheel shop or works if you wish to change the offset. On front wheels this can cause the tire to scrub.

There use to be! wheels that the buyer could ask for whatever PCD & offset they liked. Now days NO such thing! Changing PCD may require different hubs. If your car has interchangable bits with another that has the PCD and offset you desire then that would be a way to change PCD. VC Commodores for example had a four stud pattern and a five stud pattern the five being the more desirable. (The four stud came with the 4 cylinder)

Most wheel and tire shops will have cataloges of wheels with what cars will fit that mag wheel.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    PCD = pitch circle diameter

this is the diameter of the wheels studs

ie: imagine a circle drawn around the centre line of your wheels nuts and that diameter is then divided by the number of studs you have
    so 4x108 then becomes 108mm diameter with 4 studs
    to the average joe it is an imaginary circle that goes around the studs/wheels nuts
    to try this yourself grab a compass out of your old geometry set from school (or your kids one) and remove the wheel on your car
    place the point on the centre of your hub nut/axle and adjust the arm out to meet the centre of where your wheel stud goes and then measure that distance
    that will give you the radius
    double that and you will get your diameter and thus PCD
    using a compass like this it explains it a little easier as to the circle idea in PCD
    the pitch is just the wheel nut/stud.
    pitch is where in the case of a 306 there are 4 studs equidistant around this diameter

hope that helps a little bit
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Kristan,

goto the links at the home page of AussieFrogs and look for wheel fitment link.

It has the diagrams you are talking about.

206 and 306 has a different offset. 306 would rub on 206 guards, and 206 rims would hit the inner guards/strut on 306.

<small>[ 03 September 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Fellow Frogger!
    tekkie help im blind cant find the link.

Kristian,

No problems.

It was nicely hidden. It was under "submitted links" , on page 2.

<a href="http://www.tyresave.co.uk/fitment.html" target="_blank">http://www.tyresave.co.uk/fitment.html</a>

The info for the graphics is right at the bottom of the page.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

On a 4 stud wheel measuring PCD is easy, just the distance between two opposite holes, but on a 3 or 5 stud it is a little harder.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information