modern feeling/driving pug...The more i think

about it the more i m remainded what sexy/classy

cars these things are...And then there is the

motor...wow that thing is really sweet....how much

differnt is it to an mi16??i didnt really push the

car to hard but it was obvious the limit both

handling and performance wise is pretty high on

the car i tested....

How many of our members have driven the s16???

Although i m sure many of us love our citroens and renaults those who r interested in
    driving an absolutely phenomenal vehicle U really should try and get a spin behind the wheel of an s 16...i think it would convert many to the LION badge...well done peugeot...

Hopefully in a few days i ll have the keys to this
    THING (that they call love)...already had a look at some wheels...but must admit ...not much to choose from...

cheers
    dino

205 gti
    306 S16????not long 2 go...

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. I drove a 205gti and thought it was really cool. After the Alfa Sprint it had a lot of the same personality with more go and go-cart handling. Then I drove the S16. I was sold on it right away and did what I had to do to buy it. They say never make a vehicle purchase personal, but I couldn't help it.

Wait till you get into the mountains then you'll know how well balanced and chuckable they are.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

dino:
    ...seems that some of the 306 s16 and

(obviously)gti6 owners have been onto a great

thing for a while now....

sshhhhh ! its a secret. wink
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

dino:
    I finally got around to driving the s16 and i must say that i m very very impressed with this
    car...seems that some of the 306 s16 and
    (obviously)gti6 owners have been onto a great
    thing for a while now........how much
    differnt is it to an mi16?? the limit both

handling and performance wise is pretty high on

the car i tested....

How many of our members have driven the s16???

cheers
    dino

205 gti
    306 S16????not long 2 go...
    Dino, good find mate. Like Brad i too love my S16 and im about to spend$$ on it. The series2 Mi-16 and S16 engines are 95% the same.
    Juat make sure that the timing belt has been done or take it into consideration (its at 80th K's). Also buy some good floor mats, as the carpet and heel pad aren't the best of materials.
    As for wheels, i beleive MAK wheels and MAG WHeel and Tyre (in melb) have euro wheels they can order.
    You can also put on adaptors, but i know of these first hand, and highly suggest you spend some time/money on 16"x7" with 15-18mm offset and 4x108 PCD so they bolt straight on. with a 205/45/16 tyre... or even just good tyres on the S16 rims will server you best, but looks are very subjective.
    I won't mention tyres as thats been covered...... just a few times.
    Also run the car on BP Ultimate/Shell Optimax and use a 15-50W good quality oil and the car will serve you well.
    You can get a S/S air filter that goes straight in to the air box and just needs cleaning every service. Also S16's respond well to the PSI in the tyres, keep them at 33-35 with 35 at front and 33 at rear.
    good luck - chris

<small>[ 08 October 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: CHRI'S16 ]</small>
    ... ptui!

S16s are fantastic little jiggers. I tested one a few months back, and loved it, unfortunately it was going to end up being out of my price range. I'm still going to get a 205, and I made that decision with 90% heart, and 10% head.

Nick

I drove quite a few S16s (and gti6s/206gtis) and ended up getting a decent 205gti instead

The s16 is an undoubtedly nice car and infinately more comfortable (than a 205).
    But compared to a good 205gti they are somewhat "fluffy" around the edges and "heavy", in handling, engine response (which sucks at low rpm) etc

I'd still go the 205gti as a better "raw" driving experience anyday.... :p

sshhhhh ! its a secret.
    it ceartinly feels like it...this car (stock)and the gti6 (i m sure) should be used as a standard when commenting on power/handling on a na car...its simply wonderfull and thats comming from a 205 gti 1.9 owner...the 205 is a great car and would possibly be the ultimate with the mi16 engine...but the s16 DELIVERS on the above with the spaciousness and style only pinifarina can deliver....its ceartinly not an s2000 in terms of power output(nor in price)....i think its a superb car and more of our mebers should experience it, especially if they r "handling" conesours...

cheers
    dino

dino:
    but the s16 DELIVERS on the above with the spaciousness and style only pinifarina can deliver....its ceartinly not an s2000 in terms of power output(nor in price)....i think its a superb car and more of our mebers should experience it, especially if they r "handling" conesours...

cheers
    dino
    I did my driver training (Luff) at Oran Park over 2 days in my S16, and there was x2 M3's, a S2000 and a cooperS, plus several other cars.
    Im not bragging, but i will, at the end of the 2nd day they do a mock-race, were they put the slowest at the front, fastest at the back.
    I ended up 2nd last, only faster on the day was a full race GTP BMW 325i on race tyres! driven by a very good driver.... remebering we were on very smimilar levels, all had 1on1 training and it was wet!!
    So whilst S16's and pugs in general aren't the greatest in a straight line, i more than showed them how its done ( my head is so swolen now!).. in a field of 18 cars from 2nd last i finished 4th in 5 laps, ahead was a copperS who started 12th and the race BMW and a M3!!! they were asking me what i did to the engine all day long!... - chris
    ... ptui!

S16 and latter day incarnation of it GTi6 are most definately comfort and performance in one.

for pure adrenalin rush 205gti is still the way to go but mambers of the fairer sex tend to be less than impressed by the raw handling prowess. And when you just want to get along with the traffic 306 is just so much nicer. Its certinally a very good compramise between saloon (eg 405) and a hot hatch like 205.

1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

I actually think the GTi-6 is on a level up from the S16, it has the upper hand, not just in power, but the N5 chassis was just noticably better too.
    Hence why I praise the N5 XSi so much.. i think its the best all-round hatch pug... - chris
    ... ptui!

Gem
    I have fallen in love with my S16!
    Pugbert is getting a service and I can't wait to have him back tonight. I drove my fathers VS dunnydore last night, and the S16 is so much better. I am counting down the minutes.
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

Fellow Frogger!
    for me I came across the s16 after a friend bought a mi16 and sonn found that teh s16 had a similar engine.

After my first one was written off in floods i was forced to by a non frog car cus i couldnt get my hands on a s16 at the time.

Wasnt long till the mazda was gone and the s16 was back in the garage.

The gti6 and s16 will have to be close to the top or if not the top cars the peugeot have made.

You cant go past them.

Had a race with a vt ss commodore with a gen 3 v8, the driver thought the car ws turbo.....only if it was

Zen
    Pretty much everything's been said about the S16, I've had mine since new and even my girlfriend agrees we should keep it till the end of it's life. Even looking at the hatches on the market today, nothing comes close to the classy look of the 306's.

Last Saturday night we were heading out to the city and lined up next to a S14 Sylvia. It got the drop on me initially, didn't know he was gonna gun it but once I hit it we started gaining on him. Not at a great rate but still gaining. And considering he would have had a far lighter flywheel, we were impressed... and even kept it under 7,000rpm. head_ban Funny thing was I backed off and he kept hammering, a little down the road I had a d-car pull up next to me, took a peek and sped up the road, I guess to try and catch the Sylvia. He was long gone though. whistle

Rich

<small>[ 08 October 2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Zen ]</small>

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

1000+ Posts
    CHRI'S16:
    Hence why I praise the N5 XSi so much.. i think its the best all-round hatch pug... - chris

Zen:
    and even kept it under 7,000rpm. head_ban
    Rich
    Thats a releif, If you went above 7,000rpm there'd be something wrong with your engine :p
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

s16
    Dino what colour is the car your looking at mate? Blue by any chance and getting a RWC by a place called Advanced automotive in Dandy?

Anyways good luck with your impending purchase.

Are you going to keep the 205?
    Scott

'95 306 S16 - gone to a good home

'02 Renault Sport Clio - Monaco Blue

nJm
    Brad:
    Zen:
    Rich
    Thats a releif, If you went above 7,000rpm there'd be something wrong with your engine :p
    Really? I think I've hit 7100 in mine... still works. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to approve .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

i wish that i had a s16 or gti6 cry cry well maybe one day
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

1000+ Posts
    [quote]nJm:
    Really? I think I've hit 7100 in mine... still works. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to approve .
    I think Brad meant because it's got a rev limiter...

You guys are lucky...I've been looking for S16's for a while now, and there are practically none for sale in WA...bugger.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    nJm:
    Brad:
    Zen:
    Rich
    be careful nick
    try not to go past 6000 too often
    as standard they bend pushrods at around 8000-8500 and you don't want that to happen

saw a TI that got the throttle stuck and went through to 9000 and started to sound a little off just before hand so be careful

BTW revlimit on the GTi-6 is 7300
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

pugrambo
    be careful nick
    as standard they bend pushrods at around 8000-8500 and you don't want that to happen
    It's been a long time since a Peugeot had a pushrod!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

It's been a long time since a Peugeot had a pushrod!
    Well, Nick with his pushrods can still rev a snot load better than my more *modern* OHC engine.....

Only ever hit 5500 once in the 505. Amazed it got there...... hit about 170 eek! (on speedo) on a friends farm, has a damn airstrip on it for his dads plane!!!! Handy...... (killed the 96 magna for a top speed, hahaha evil )

But back to the topic.

Only dirven a an S16 once, and compared to my Dads XSi (N5) it was about the same handling wise (not pushing the cars) but LURRRVED!!! that engine...

Jono :p
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Zen
    Fuel cut out/rev limiter hits at 7,200rpm on mine... hit it ummm, a few times... whistle Can't take it above 7,000rpm at the moment anyways, got about 950km till I can. evil

Rich

<small>[ 08 October 2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Zen ]</small>

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

s16:....the car is white...not the most exciting colour...but hell its an s16...they look great in any colour....my 205 gti is white as well...and am definitely keeping it....i ve promised myself to have a supercharger in it (the 205) by the end of the year....so hopefully the money will finally turn up from a couple of clients and i ll be able to get stuck into it...i was originally saving the "jeep" money for a ds....but this s16 has me around its little finger so the ds will have to wait...ultimately if this 16 turns out to be the car i think it is...my garage should end up with a ds and an s16...so i m still not giving up on the ds...nor the lancia delta....one day...all good things come to those who wait (although the ocassional light 15 will slip through your fingers)...

cheers
    dino

pugrambo:
    be careful nick

saw a TI that got the throttle stuck and went through to 9000 and started to sound a little off just before hand so be careful
    Sean,

I don't think over-reving is too much of a concern on a standard carby 504/505 motor with the foam filter element. The restrictive filter and carb act as a natural 7000rpm rev limiter unlike the TIs which will keep reving up if you let them.

I think Nick's 7100rpm was probably more like 6800rpm, since many of the tachos read about 300rpm high in my experience (needle has been placed on shaft inaccurately).

I used to take my 504 with mild cam to 6500rpm daily for 130,000km. When I pulled the engine down for another reason I checked the pushrods. They were all DEAD straight.

I do think it's a good idea to keep below 6000 in general, but a short burst to around 6800 doesn't seem to hurt them in my experience, although there's not alot of point.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information