What a fun weekend ...
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

What a fun weekend ...

Hi Guys,

what an interesting weekend, Ang didn't want to use it at all, but I hooked up the old '63 ID19 to the campertrailer & off we went.

Crusing at 55 - 65mph we made good time, it's about 1.5hours drive away the Grampians (mountains) where we are heading. About an hour down the road there was a loud dragging noise under the car. Yep, the old exhaust hangers had broken off. Grabbed a rope from the annexe and tied the exhaust up & we were away again. 10minutes later it's dragging again. Bloody polyester rope, it'd melted through mallet . No problems, couldn't find a coat hanger so I wired it up with a bit of insulated wire, I figured the insulation would melt off but the wire itself would hold it up.

The car ran at about 85 degrees all the way there. Ang wasn't having driving it down the gravel roads, in my usual way I totally ignored her evil , we drove up the 4wd tracks to some of the lookouts. The corrugations weren't good, they disappeared at 40mph, the only problem was slowing down for the corners had the front wheels tramping badly on the corrugations bouncing hell out of the whole car (and yes this was being very gentle). Ang was very, very not impressed, the old ID doesn't have very good dust insulation, in fact I'll go as far as to say none. I had to wipe my sunnies every 2 minutes as they'd get covered with dust. The car is currently so full of dust, I can't even take the clothes & stuff out of it ;-). Hot?? Yeah, it was in the 30's + Celcius.

Advertisement

Rattled our way back to the caravan park. A young kid walking past pointed at the ID .... Mum, is that car black or brown, the mother looked very embarassed & growled at him (careful of those strange people that drive really wierd cars :-)).

We decided to go home via Mount Zero, we asked at the Tourist Information could we take the camper trailer down the road there. The answer was yes. Well it was 40km of bloody terrible corrugations. After about 20km, there was an almighty crash from behind the car that scared sh!t out of us both eek! eek! . My instant thought was shit the hitch has just broken, slowed down reeeaaaaaallllllyyyy carefully in case we were hanging by the safety chains. SHIT, my bloody guard, the bolt had rattled out of the rear left guard & it'd snared the wheel. What a mess, chuck the crumpled guard in the boot & kept going, hope I've got another repairable guard somewhere :-(

Hee,hee, Ang is now threatening not to go to the Citroen meeting next year in Maleny if we take that car. I keep telling her it towed a trailer through the mountains over 4wd tracks in 30+ degree heat without missing a beat, the hottest it got was 90degrees C. Her response??? "It's hot, WAY TOO noisy, and incredibly bloody dusty, and I'm SICK OF BLOODY RUST FALLING ON ME I'm NEVER going away in it again ...". Oh yeah, the rust, when I cleaned up the roof rails I wire brushed hell out of it with a wire brush in the angle grinder. Obviously all the dried up old paint & rust flakes had found there way into the 'A' pillar on the passenger side, the corrugations caused this to rattle down past the sun visor mount and fall on her :-) I thought it was pretty funny though, she was covered in dust 'n' rust :-) roll_lau roll_lau

Don't worry , I'll change her mind by next easter. :p

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

.............and everybody else just settles for whips and chains!

Obvious question...does it have leather? mallet mallet dance dance roll_lau

Alan S black_ey evil
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Alan,

hot sticky & dusty vinyl

Gee's it was fun roll_lau roll_lau Ang reckons I'm the only idiot around that will scour the countryside in search of shitty very old cars, when everyone else my age is buying new cars Of course you know what I think of boring, crappy new cars that all look the same moon moon

Who want's air conditioning and a dust free car, certainly not me dance

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    and here i was thinking that my g/f was the only one
    i showed her a pic of a 403 wagon and asked her what she thought of it
    the look on her face said enough till she said it's got an awful lot of room for one don't you think
    i was sorta hoping with the growing family that a 403 wagon with some really nice running gear would be a good bus for out of town trips
    oh well have to keep working on the 604 for such trips and maybe grab a wagon and work on it(and her) till she comes around
    this time next year i can't see 3 kids plus all that goes along with them fitting into the GTi-6. it only just fits in everything for the 9yr old and 10month old now roll_lau
    she likes the 406 wagons though but funnily enough the budget just doesn't stretch that far
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information