Melbourne drive photos
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    nJm

Melbourne drive photos

These were taken by Tim (Sergetov, the one with the cressida which is suffering a broken powersteering pump). The interior shots are from Jason's 505 Exec.

All the photos are in 1600x1200 (sorry for people on regular modem!), but I figured that people might want to make them a desktop picture or something like that.

Advertisement

It was great fun, just wish my poor old GR had a bit more power to keep up with all you GTi folk.

Oh well, until next time

<a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/njms_area/melb/" target="_blank">http://users.bigpond.net.au/njms_area/melb/</a>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

That clio looked like a very nice little car. Nice aftermarket wheels on it also.
    Were they 16 or 15 inch wheels?
    It really is a nice little car. Was it quick on the day or was the driver just driving casually.
    I went in Craig Bradneys once & it went like no other car....

Was a good day all round

Good bunch of people, i 'm sure it's the start of many cruises

Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.......till next time :p

<small>[ 24 November 2002, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
    ________
    Roll a joint
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 05:13 AM.

1000+ Posts
    Hi all,

The poor Cressida was a non starter this time. Next time it WILL be there though... Lucky none of you guys needed towing, Jason reckoned his 505exec would be the next most capable... it barely manages to tow itself with any pase heh.. only kidding... sort of...

I am something of a novice with a digital camera, i began taking photos out of the sunroof, the fairlane is there because it has the distinction of having made the drive through the black spur very much a cruise

Two things that i enjoyed most:
    - Seeing those awesome 205 gti's.... wow....
    - Driving Justin's (Pug307?) 307, far better than i would have expected, it was very good of him to let me have a drive of it

Anyway, wheres the next one going to be???

<small>[ 24 November 2002, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Sergetov ]</small>
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

nJm
    I think the Great Ocean Road would be great, but we would probably want to stay overnight somewhere down near Apollo Bay or Ottway.

The drive was awesome, however on getting home I discovered the reason my pug managed to loose 1L of coolant on the drive - the bottom radiator hose is partially disintigrated and covered in dried up coolant powder stuff...

Actually, my car was in far from top working order but it did sorta ok when pushed (I mean foot to the floor in 4th while approaching the redline praying "please go faster please go faster" while overtaking a 4WD. dead
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Sergetov:
    Jason reckoned his 505exec would be the next most capable... it barely manages to tow itself with any pase heh.. only kidding... sort of...

Two things that i enjoyed most:
    - Seeing those awesome 205 gti's.... wow....
    - Driving Justin's (Pug307?) 307, far better than i would have expected, it was very good of him to let me have a drive of it
    heh,

I thought the 505s did remarkably well, considering two were auto and the other had a slipping clutch and was driven by a learner :p (though well....he didn't hit anything afterall ).... they acquitted themselves on the more brisk sections just fine wink .....

The 307 was fairly impressive sandwiched between us 205s.....for a car with no sporting pretensions (auto 1.6 wasn't it? eek! ) it didn't look like it had too many problems keeping up.......for bits there we were going a bit harder around corners than you'd want to be punting your average commondoor or foulcan
    ________
    NO2 VAPORIZER

nJm
    That poor clutch didn't know what hit it. I must admit it was the first time I had actually maxed the poor bugger out in 3rd and 4th eek!

I've got nice scrabble marks on my front tyres too from all the sidwall flex (they are 75 profile tyres!) on the Jerusalem Creek road.

Don't worry, I assure everyone I will have got around to getting my P's by the next drive (in fact I'm booking my test next week) :p

And with a bit of luck my dad will buy some form of hot 306 so I can take that along instead - otherwise I'll never have any hope of keeping up with the GTIs short of getting a V6 conversion

<small>[ 24 November 2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Ahh the 205s,

I couldn't help but notice how someone would slow down to gain a bit of distance in a 205, and then would fang the hell out of the car later - so the 307 had to play cat & mouse.

Considering the 307 would've had the worst power to weight ratio (if you believe the manual), a power sapping auto gearbox, and was the tallest car, I think it coped pretty well!

Even when the tyres start to squeal, its very controllable. It's better than a lot of cars, ideally I'd have to see how it drives compared to benchmark cars though. I think the media have criticised its handling partially due to the different feel the car has compared to the 306. Sitting in a stationary 307 is already much different.

It'd be great if we could have a video of our next cruise, 206gti.net has a few videos and pics from their runs and they're great.

It was great to meet all of you.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Hi,
    Great day. The pace was good with everyone driving well, leaving plenty of room to play.(Especially good with the radio to advise on oncoming cars).
    Not so good on the way home for a guy in a 505 on the Western Ring Road with the rear quarter panel caved in by a clown in a courier van, creating a huge traffic jam.

Thanks to all....
    head_ban
    P.S. Great Ocean Road would be tops, an early start maybe needed to avoid traffic during the warmer months. Breakfast in Lorne??????

Brad.

nJm
    Was the 505 you saw one of the ones from our drive?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Pug 307,
    I was just trying to gain some cruising distance between myself and the Celica, the 205 hates traffic!!!!
    I was impressed by the 307, not left for dead like most other cars encountered through the hills.
    cheers!
    Brad

nJm:
    Was the 505 you saw one of the ones from our drive?
    No, it was a red one.

Don't worry Brad, I ain't knocking you Makes it more fun. I've done it before going down the Black Spur.

I mean, what can you do when you've got an Avalon fully loaded crawling through such a nice road at 40km/h.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    Don't worry Brad, I ain't knocking you Makes it more fun. I've done it before going down the Black Spur.

I mean, what can you do when you've got an Avalon fully loaded crawling through such a nice road at 40km/h.

Cheers,

Justin
    \

It must be a Toyota thing...

1000+ Posts
    :p

ill have you al know it was i who drove the 307 between jerusalem creek road and alexandra, thanks to justins generosity
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

nJm
    I think he meant the cars, not the drivers.

The Celica driving friend of mine took the good ol' GR for a spin last night after the drive and thought it was pretty fun (very different to a Celica!). We got back to my place and swapped cars (into a 1999 Verada 3.5 - his parent's car) and I looked on with great satisfaction as he then indicated with his wipers for the next 3 turns in a car he has been driving for over 2 years...

He is now converted evil
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Great cruise guys!! Had lots of fun trying to keep up with the GTis and Clio. Even had some hairy moments, but the traffic report using the CBs was a great idea.

danielsydney: the clio had 17inch wheels, and it really could move
    1995 306 XR

Thank you Jason, for organising a great day out.
    It was a lot of fun, although that white Landcruiser didn't seem too happy with us! Must be a Toyota thing......

Did anyone else notice all those BMW's in Alexandra? There were at least four E65 7-Series (new taxicab style ones), two X5's and a 5 series. They must have had another cruise on, as I saw them in convoy on the way back.

(ed)
    Nick, if you're organising the next one you have a tough act to follow :p
    Great Ocean Road sounds great. Any chance of it being mid-late January? I'm off to London next week and will be back around the 15th.

<small>[ 25 November 2002, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Jez 405 ]</small>
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Tadpole
    Gday, I was driving the Celica.

Had a great time. Just for the record, from Eildon to Alexandra I was only driving as fast as the car infront, not gonna let you guys get away with this Toyota bashing mallet

And nick, it's cool, I've returned to indicating with the right stalk tongue

until next time
    I am a Toyota Imposter... (2)

Tadpole
    Hey guys
    The Cruise was awesome. You couldent really call it a cruise it was more like go as fast as the 505 top speed. hehehe. but anyway i think ive decided im gonna have to buy my uncles 205 GTi.

anyways great cruise maybe next time we should go to as many tight and twisty roads as we can or like block off some mad road hehehe.

BTW. i was the other dude in Puls8r's 306
    EURO STYLEZ!!!

nJm
    Yes, it was fairly fast paced eh? Next time I think I'm gonna have to find some 404, 504 and other 2L 505s to come along as I did not have a hope in hell keeping up with most of you. Mind you I think my speedo is really off around freeway speeds. After Saturday I believe an indicated 130km/h i about 105km/h... could be wrong though. I must say after this drive I could do with upgrading to something a bit more nimble - trying to keep up with a 206 GTi on the Jerusalam Creek road was difficult and at one stage I had a few seconds of 4 wheel drift as the 505 had understeered into the corner at high speed, so I just lifted off, tapped the brake and WOW! [email protected]%K that was scary (but also fun evil )

Nice to meet you and yes, I think another drive in mid Jan would be a great idea. Just make sure those with aircon have it working!

cheers!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Nick,

mate, nah, you don't want a nimble little car, yours sounds like much more fun, it's obviously very controlable to

Do yourself a big favour, find a nice smooth/quiet gravel road & learn how your car will react when pushed to hard, you reeeaaaalllllyyy don't want to learn the hard way

I'd been driving for about 5years before I got my license (and I got my license the day after I turned 18 --my birthday fell on a sunday ).

Anyway, you'll learn a lot by sliding your car around some gravel tracks. I certainly did (then about 5cars(padock bombs) later I finaly got my license mallet )

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

So what cars turned up in the end? Sounds like there wasn't a 306 GTI-6 to be seen! That's very different from Sydney where the 306s seems to be the dominant model. Only Parry in his Series 2 205 GTI...

Looked like a fab day out. If you do the GOR, I might just have to go for a long drive to Melbourne to join you
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

nJm:
    Yes, it was fairly fast paced eh? Next time I think I'm gonna have to find some 404, 504 and other 2L 505s to come along as I did not have a hope in hell keeping up with most of you. Mind you I think my speedo is really off around freeway speeds. After Saturday I believe an indicated 130km/h i about 105km/h... could be wrong though. I must say after this drive I could do with upgrading to something a bit more nimble - trying to keep up with a 206 GTi on the Jerusalam Creek road was difficult and at one stage I had a few seconds of 4 wheel drift as the 505 had understeered into the corner at high speed, so I just lifted off, tapped the brake and WOW! [email protected]%K that was scary (but also fun evil )

Nice to meet you and yes, I think another drive in mid Jan would be a great idea. Just make sure those with aircon have it working!

cheers!
    I wouldn't be too hard on yourself/car.....considering it was the oldest car there, had the smallest wheels/tires, had a badly slipping clutch aaaaand you were sitting beside your dad (who is pretty cool bloke btw ). the car and yourself were doing just fine.

A 505GR shouldn't have a hope in hell of keeping up with a 206gti along a tight twisty road, don't feel bad about it, they are different cars

Oh, a few tweaks here and there, and a decent clutch your car will be a fair bit more brisk, you should certainly be able drag off the auto 505 GTIs

Either way.....the day was not a race, i think it's a good thing we managed to find a pace where everyone managed to be entertained at one time or another
    ________
    Live Sex

nJm
    Yes, thanks for the nice words Dtwo

I think that thicker anti-sway bar I intend to put on the rear will help things a little, although I really hope in a few years time to upgrade to a series 2 405Mi16. That will be fun head_ban
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information