Isn't America wonderful!
  • Register
  • Help

Isn't America wonderful!

From <a href="http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=6264" target="_blank">http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=6264</a>

EPA Says Won't Regulate CO2 Emissions from Autos

Reuters / August 29, 2003

Advertisement

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration on Thursday denied a petition by three environmental groups to declare carbon dioxide spewed by automobiles as a pollutant, saying it has no authority over emissions linked to global warming.

The Environmental Protection Agency said Congress did not give it the power to declare carbon dioxide from autos as a pollutant under the Clean Air Act. The heat-trapping gases have been linked to rising Earth temperatures by many scientists.

"Congress must provide us with clear legal authority before we can take regulatory action to address a fundamental issue such as climate change," EPA Assistant Administrator Jeff Holmstead said in a statement.

The statement overturned a determination by the Clinton-era EPA that the agency has the authority to regulate carbon dioxide.

The International Center for Technology Assessment, the Sierra Club, and Greenpeace filed a lawsuit against EPA in December 2002 to force the agency to rule on the issue. At least one of the groups said it will appeal the decision.

Environmental groups called the EPA decision another attempt by the White House to undermine public health.

"The Bush administration is again ducking its legal and moral responsibility to address global warming," said David Bookbinder, a Sierra Club lawyer.

Passenger cars, pickup trucks and SUVs account for 20 percent of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions, with coal-burning power plants responsible for 40 percent.

U.S. industry applauded the administration's move. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said it will prevent energy shortages and future rationing because of supply restrictions.

"This is a broad sweep -- they're taking (carbon dioxide) off the table," said Bill Kovacs, a Chamber of Commerce vice president.

The administration's move puts greenhouse gas standards squarely on the shoulders of Congress.

The Senate is set to consider this fall legislation proposed by Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona and Democratic Sen. Joseph Lieberman to put a cap on U.S. carbon dioxide emissions. McCain has conceded that the measure is unlikely to pass.

President Bush angered green groups and the European Union after he withdrew the United States from the international Kyoto treaty that aims to reduce global warming emissions mostly among industrialized countries.

Instead, the administration is taking on climate change through voluntary industry measures meant to cut greenhouse gas intensity -- or emissions per unit of economic growth -- by 18 percent over a decade.
    Which do you reckon is closer to "reality" these days?

Tolkien, Harry Potter or the USA?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Tolkien with harry potter a close second.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Fellow Frogger!
    ROD HAGEN, you're different from most Australian men of your generation; you seem very liberal. Not that its any of my business, but were you raised liberal, or were you raised conservative and rebelled?

As I said before, when I was down there I was exposed to many Australian men in their 50s and they were mainly very conservative and backward-thinking

<small>[ 06 September 2003, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Jamesnj ]</small>

XTC
    Jamesnj:
    As I said before, when I was down there I was exposed to many Australian men in their 50s and they were mainly very conservative and backward-thinking
    Where did you visit ? ... the outback only

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!
    No XTC206, all over. It just seemed under 45 everyone was new wave and over 45 most were old-fashioned. Someone told me it had to do with people under 45 being exposed to more immigrants growing up

Jamesnj:
    ROD HAGEN, you're different from most Australian men of your generation; you seem very liberal. Not that its any of my business, but were you raised liberal, or were you raised conservative and rebelled?

You'll find there quite a few of us out here actually , Nick wink

I guess I was raised on a diet of "think for yourself, don't let others do it for you!" from one side of the family (my father, particularly, who came from a longish line of political "independents") , coupled with a fair amount of exposure to what in the US would be called "liberal" philosophy, (Bertrand Russell and the English Fabians especially, which I read avidly as teenager) from my mother's side.

Then , of course, along came Vietnam and all the dilemnas that faced a kid who thought it was an unjust and improper war but had to contend with the prospect of being conscripted to fight in it and decide what to do about that possibility.

But there are really a lot of similar thinking men and women of my age out here. Its just that in the present political climate out here we tend to get swamped by the rednecks on the one hand and the "me first" money focused children of the "economic (ir)rationalism" generation that imbibed the outpourings of luminaries like Ayn Rand and Maggie Thatcher as if it was mother's milk!

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 06 September 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I'll stand and be counted as Open minded and Free thinking and over 50. As so many my age, also went through the rigours of possible conscription, My name was in the very last draught for that stupid & unwarranted war. Every one of my mated who were sent either died there or came back addicted to drugs or alcahol and all are long since dead now. Thankfully my name didn't come out of the bingo barrel.
    cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Damien Gardner:
    I'll stand and be counted as Open minded and Free thinking and over 50. As so many my age, also went through the rigours of possible conscription, My name was in the very last draught for that stupid & unwarranted war. Every one of my mated who were sent either died there or came back addicted to drugs or alcahol and all are long since dead now. Thankfully my name didn't come out of the bingo barrel.
    cheers!
    Count me in on that one too Damien.

cheers!
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

In answer to the opening question,
    Quote "Isn't America wonderful! " the answer is simply NO. imho
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Is <a href="http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=b655a485c25b58cc0f9fd19165586e1d& threadid=120281&perpage=15&pagenumber=1" target="_blank">this</a> another reason?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Damien Gardner:
    I'll stand and be counted as Open minded and Free thinking and over 50.
    cheers!
    Aren't us Frogger like this?, after all we did buy/like French.. - chris

ps. James, like i was sayig before, australia is one of places that gives you this freedom, wether it be cars or some access to politics.
    ... ptui!

Thread Information