anyone who have experience with importing parts from UK
  • Register
  • Help

anyone who have experience with importing parts from UK

Hi! Friend of mine bought some parts for me in UK and they charged him gst(vat).He hasn't send me parts yet,can I get this tax money back?If yes can you please tell me how.Thanks!

Advertisement

When parts are purchased over there, the supplier should do some exemption form, this is if he is "VAT registered". If he's not, you're stuck with it.
    When I get my parts I've ordered, it is marked on the invoice that they are for export and no VAT is charged. I am, in cases of large amounts, charged GST and import duty when declared at customs in Australia.
    As an example, Puma Racing mentions clearly on his website that he is not VAT registered and as such VAT is included in the price. I'd suggest contacting the retailer and asking the question as to whether it can be refunded at their end which is the easier option. If you have to start dealing with UK Government Departments you'll end up in a straight jacket.
    Option two I suppose is for your friend to just chuck them in the luggage and claim them as his/her own property which could mean that they may be able to come in GST & Import Duty free which would even the balance with the Pommy VAT.
    May be worth an enquiry with the Australian customs lot before you go any further.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

TURBO:
    Hi! Friend of mine bought some parts for me in UK and they charged him gst(vat).He hasn't send me parts yet,can I get this tax money back?If yes can you please tell me how.Thanks!
    If he bought them and collected from the supplier and paid VAT, you can't get it back - unless he is 'not' a British/EU citizen and is bringing them to Oz with him, in which case he would have had to get a VAT Reclaim form provided and stamped by the supplier and hand this in at the airport (and you still don't get the whole amount of VAT paid back).

If he travels on a EU passport, or didn't get the form, or is just posting them to you himself - you can't get any of it back.

The best way to avoid VAT is to buy from a supplier who is set up to handle export orders with no VAT charged. But then of course you are up for the freight costs, and depending on the value, for GST and duty on arrival in Oz.

THANKS FOR INFO. MY FRIEND WILL TRY TO GET THE MONEY BACK THROUGH V.A.T OFFICE OR SOMETING SHOWING THEM TAX INVOICE FROM SUPPLIER AND RECEIPT FROM POSTIGE WHEN HE SENDS THE PARTS.

Tadpole
    Go to Autofive.com and they will help you.

a few of my oversea's mates have used them and they are very friendly and helpful!

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    <a href="http://www.autofive.co.uk" target="_blank">www.autofive.co.uk</a> would be closer.

con...

Thread Information