We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

rek
    Oh, it was shocking today on the roads, wasn't it?

It's as if everyone becomes extra stupid once the first droplet of water falls from the sky. (I'm sure there's a good driver training rant in here somewhere for someone )

I had no less than two people turn into the road (80kph limit) and onto my lane, when I was mere meters away. (I had my headlights on all day too, so it's not as if my car was invisible.) Times like that, you're glad things like ABS and horns were invented :p
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I think people in Melbourne have forgotten what it's like to drive in the rain - we hardly get any these days

The past two days, I've been saying to people - finally it feels like proper Melbourne again

I had my headlights on - pity too many had this "oh, it's 9AM, can't put on the lights now, cos it's day time now"

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

mind you,...the rain ceartinly changed my beach road run....i ve moved recently and just love the sandringham to parkdale stretch...perfect road for the 205,...its a shame its all 60kmh...so when it rains some drivers slow down to sub 50 (which i can understand considering the pile of junks some of them drive)...on the positive note...there seems to be a heap of french cars around here...

cheers
    dino
    ps... had my lights on 2...seemed the smart thing to do...

personaly a big fan of teh rain...

power sliding in the pug becomes possible

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Yes, 'tis a nice piece of road that. Just watch out for a revenue raising speed camera that seems to hang around Ricketts Point in Beaumaris. Seems stupid that a nice wide road like Beach Rd is only 60km/h.

Reminds me of Greensborough Rd in Yallambie alongside the army barracks. Once past the petrol station and barracks entrance, it's all downhill for 1.5 kms with only grass along the whole length of the road. Because of this "dangerous" situation, the limit is set at only 60km/h, but everyone travels at 70km/h, which is what the limit should be. And not surprisingly, Mr Bracks' speed cameras are often found parked nearby to catch out everyone not religiously watching their speedos and braking the whole way down. mallet

Can you tell I'm not happy? snail

Edit: sorry, a bit off topic...

Richard

<small>[ 25 July 2003, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: silverexec ]</small>
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

silverexec:

Reminds me of Greensborough Rd in Yallambie alongside the army barracks. Once past the petrol station and barracks entrance, it's all downhill for 1.5 kms with only grass along the whole length of the road. Because of this "dangerous" situation, the limit is set at only 60km/h, but everyone travels at 70km/h, which is what the limit should be.

Richard
    It was 70 k until a few years back Richard. They dropped the limit before they put in the "right turn" pull offs. At that time I used to drive it every day and there were a hell of a lot of tail enders on it, and the occasional major event involving traffic attempting to turn across the flow.

I guess it doesn't fit in with current philosophy to increase it again.

It carries far more traffic these days than it did ten years ago. Really needs widening (which would be easy to do for most of its length if the Army was happy to give up a narrow strip of land). I guess the petrol station / nursery end is the bit that cause problems here. Mind you, I guess we'd simply get even more of a build up at the Rosanna Rd / Lower Heidelberg end of things if they did.

You're right though. Its certainly one stretch of road where sticking to the limit is bloody hard, especially out of peak traffic times.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

On the way to & from an appointment in the city yesterday, i was convinced the rain flicks the stupid switch on some people & turns off the eyes of others, with our turn righ from left of road turns on 5 occasions with RH turners already lined up, these fools stopped in the centre of the road, even dozens of hooting horns couldn't change their minds.
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

Damien Gardner:
    I've learned that wherever I go, the world's worst
    drivers have followed me there.

moon
    If only they stay behind me I'M kind of OK with it. Its the ones in front that decide to loiter about, that give me the warm fuzzy feeling of love.... NOT
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Rod Hagen:
    It was 70 k until a few years back Richard. They dropped the limit before they put in the "right turn" pull offs.
    Well, that was probably a sensible decision at the time, and I can now see that because of the lack of right turn lanes for all of the sidestreets, the limit will most likely stay 60km/h. You're right, the road can easily be widened apart from the petrol station and small cluster of houses up the top.

One interesting though controversial idea I read about some time ago was a plan to create an "Eastern Ring Road" that would link the Eastern Freeway near Thompsons Rd to the bottom of a widened Greensborough Rd. This would be a way of alleviating all of the traffic being funnelled through Rosanna and making access to the eastern and south-eastern suburbs faster, however at the expense of much of the parklands around Heidelberg and Ivanhoe. As the parklands were the subject of famous Aussie painters like McCubbin and others, the idea of building a freeway through them seemed like sacrilege so the idea was shelved.

It would be nice to get to the south-east in less than the 1 and 1/2 hours it takes me now, maybe one day... wink

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Yep, the south east is just about in another time zone if you live in Hurstbridge too!

Mind you the drive down through Kangaroo Ground and Warrandyte to Ringwood can be good fun in a Pug if there isn't too much traffic around. Its the Stud Road bit from there on that causes the pain. ( I have inlaws in Mt Eliza).

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Took an hour and a half, Springvale to Yallambie via spingy Rd, Doncaster & Eltham the other night. The ring road will be good, but there's no bloody way i'll use if they put tolls on it.
    2_cents 2_cents 2_cents 2_cents 2_cents
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

Thread Information