Good driving roads around Melbourne?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Good driving roads around Melbourne?

Hi all,

Just wondering where the better driving areas are that are close to Melbourne? I headed out around the Yarra Valley, drove the chum creek to black spur (I think) road. Was ok, but certainly nothing outstanding - some really good on camber S bends though. Anyone feel like suggesting some other good drives?

THanks.

Advertisement

Most of the 'good' driving roads get too busy on weekends etc to have any fun. The Black Spur just becomes a tourist traffic jam snail and the Reefton spur is a motorbike favorite and they hold you up. Unless you go on a week night or very early in the mornings.

I did black spur at about 10:00AM on a weekday, and it was pretty clear. I've heard some good stories about Reefton spur, might have to have a crack at it soon.

Cheers,

Nick

McPug u have 2 have a Formula One car if you think the bikes are holding you up on the way over Reefton. Otherwise I think you should stay off the junk... the bikes pass Porches like they're standing still and it's heaps of let me tell u.

Luca:
    McPug u have 2 have a Formula One car if you think the bikes are holding you up on the way over Reefton. Otherwise I think you should stay off the junk... the bikes pass Porches like they're standing still and it's heaps of let me tell u.
    I'm not throwing down a challenge to bikes or anything but here's what I've noticed:
    -Bikes are super quick on the right road in the right hands. But Reefton spur and similar roads have many mid-corner bumps so it is too risky to run a bike there quickly, a car lets you get away with a bit more so you can push harder.
    -Many of the riders at Reefton Spur are there for the pose value on their mega dollar bikes and don't have the skill required to ride them.
    -The smart riders will let you pass on the straights (a motorbike easily out guns a car in the straight) so then in the corners you don't risk punting them off the road.

After driving any of these roads I'm usually frustrated anyway because I've either been held up by someone or I have a clear run and push really hard and then realised how dangerous it is... better stick to the race track.

ha haaa! posers!! nice one.

but i dunno about getting around a corner quicker than a bike man... we get 'em pretty low (not peg scrapes but close).

that's an interesting question anyway.. what's quicker a formula one car or motoGP bike?

Getting back to the topic, here's a good site about good roads near Melbourne:
    <a href="http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/~ben/mtcv/mcroads/" target="_blank">http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/~ben/mtcv/mcroads/</a>

It's for bikes but, good roads for bikes = good roads for cars (maybe not at the same time though).

Reefton Spur (between Cambarville & Warburton) is probably one of my favourite roads close to Melbourne.

1. It's not a bad surface.
    2. Lots of corners.
    3. Road is not ridiculously narrow.
    4. Not much traffic, even on weekends.
    5. Even some nice views at times.
    6. Not too short, but not tiringly long.
    7. You don't even need to break the speed limit to have fun - you can push it, but you've got some safety margins.

The problem with Black Spur is that there's mainly too much traffic. The problem with Myers Creek is that the surface isn't great and the road is too narrow in places, you have some residential for a section - for most sane people, this ultimately limits what you can do.

Plus it fits in well with a loop route. I suggest jumping on our next Aussiefrogs cruise. Otherwise, just go exploring when you have some free time, there are plenty of good roads in this region. I've been through the area at midnight, and it's great (although decent headlights are a must, plus wombat vigilance).

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Just had to correct mallet Mr <a href="http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/~ben/mtcv/mcroads/" target="_blank">http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/~ben/mtcv/mcroads/</a>
    ... who's apparently under the mistaken impression that the Warragul-Korumburra road is the Grand Ridge Road. It most definitely is not.

The Grand Ridge Road doesn't exist, OK? So don't bother even looking for it, right? (And if you find it, ESPECIALLY stay off it on weekends!) ('cause that's when I tend to do it ... ).

peugeot_ 206GTi
    renault_ Clio 1.4L auto
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Im not a victorian person but the road to sorrento was very nice , to where Harold Holt drowned.... 2_cents

Speaking of Cambarville reminds me of taking the 403 for a blat back in the early 70's through from Marysville, through Cambarville, Matlock and Wood's point to Jamieson.(I was going the "back way" to Sydney, via Mytleford , Omeo, Corryong and Thredbo but you could make a round day trip of it through Snobs Creek, Yea, Flowerdale, Kinglake etc)

Don't know what its like these days, but lots of nice dirt, and some very interesting bends coming down around Mt Matlock from memory!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

that's an interesting question anyway.. what's quicker a formula one car or motoGP bike?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Off the subject a bit,
    but as a bike and car nut I can assure you that a well driven performance car will eat a bike around most popular drivers roads. ie, GOR, Black Spur etc.

Lap times?
    Catalunya 2003.

Moto GP: Lap Record; V Rossi-1.45.472.

F1: Final Qualifying; M Schumacher-1.17.762.

Stay off the junk Zee....

If i rock up 2 your place in a Lamborghini diabolo and say "i'll race u through the black spur (road closed to other traffic) and I jump on a brand new Yam R1 and the person who comes out the other side first gets 2 keep their ride...."

I'll be the one with a smile on my face at the end no matter how well u drove that car through those woods. A bike will do u're doors.

(and yes i'm a bike & car nut 2)

Man you need to get out more,
    A V8 Supercar will lap Phillip Island at about the same pace as a Moto GP bike.
    Most top end performance cars (Porsche GT3's for example) have very similar performance to a V8 Supercar, different cars to be sure but the end result in lap times are very similar.
    And your going to beat one on a R1 with a pipe?
    Just because you can blow away a Porsche from the lights is not a true indicator of the real performance available.
    Heres an idea, take your bike to Phillip Island and note the lap times. Then go to Porsche car club day( or any performance car club ) and note the quickest lap times. You may be in for a surprise.

Err, Zee and Luca, I think we've been down this road / bike track before! see <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001594" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001594</a>

Luca should remember! He started the thread!

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 06 August 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I know Rod but these young guys just don't get it... we're not talking about laps of a race track more like who's quicker through the black spur (or equivelant). I'd love 2 see you up there one weekend Zee.

And just as much as it is fun blowing porsches off at the lights it's very different story with me u and the Lamborghini.. cars just aren't as quick through the streets. If you really ride then you should know that.

Luca I think you should spend more time with your hand on the throttle than on your willy.
    You are probably one of these sportbike riders who spends the day carving up old couples in Camrys then sit in a coffee shop with your mates telling each other how hard you can ride.

END OF STORY.

wudve thought a well driven bike would slaughter a well driven car through twisties because of acceleration and bikes just seem just that extra bit more chukable.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Yeah Zee.. u're right man, that's me.

Yeay JP!!! Haven't seen u in town lately man!

nah Luca! been in town bro... just been driving the old mans xsara... u cant miss it... its got all these wicked mods like rosary beads and some nip green and red dangley sh!t on the rear view and a tissue box covered in lace and bows on the parcel shelf mallet .

we're all expectn u on the 17th wink .

zee and rod (amongst others) should think about rokn up too blush
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

HA HAAAA! That sounds Tuff! With those mods it'll do 11's all day... he hee.

I read that thread 4 the Tour d'Melbourne and unfortunately I've got a first communion on that day... and the wogs will get offended if I don't go.

Anyway brow.. i'll keep a look out 4 ya.

pugjet:

Sorry guys. The 17th of August is my younger daughter's 15th birthday I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Rod Hagen:
    pugjet:

Sorry guys. The 17th of August is my younger daughter's 15th birthday I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rod
    no sweat rod wink . hope to see you on future cruises.

and well frankly i'd be afraid too if it was my daughters birthday mallet ,

cheers,

regs
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Luca:

I read that thread 4 the Tour d'Melbourne and unfortunately I've got a first communion on that day... and the wogs will get offended if I don't go.
    </strong>
    its all good . man, your relos have got the best timing cry . if your plans fall through let us know wink .

and to whom it may concern, sowie to highjack tha thread blush

<small>[ 07 August 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: pugjet ]</small>
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

pugjet:
    its got all these wicked mods like rosary beads and some nip green and red dangley sh!t on the rear view and a tissue box covered in lace and bows on the parcel shelf mallet .
    We might be related.
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information