Krispy Kreme Donuts
  • Register
  • Help

Krispy Kreme Donuts

i've heard so much about this donut place out in penrith...best tasting donuts ever etc...is it worth the trip west? any1 tried it? what hours does it open?

Advertisement
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

SW
    I have tried them. They are set up like a Maccas, with a drive through and selection screen etc. When they first opened, Mulgoa Rd was virtually closed to through traffic.

Personally, they did not exceed my expectations to put it in a nice way. A lot of hype attached to them for sure. I only tried the original glazed though - $10 for a dozen.

They are more like fairy floss than a genuine bread-like doughnut that we are used to in Australia - they almost dissolve in your mouth. They have a nice sweet taste but so has a mouthful of raw sugar.

Anyhow - probably worth trying once but I won't be rushing back for seconds.

Scott

yeah, thought they were too sweet.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

I first had them in Chicago and then in NY and became hooked. Obviously personal opinion but they are far and away the best doughnuts around, plain, glazed ones are best and have to be eaten in pairs

I guess you just gotta try a dozen or so for yourself tongue
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

UFO
    Ah see now you get into the technicalities of food - something I like even more than Citroens!

To be a true doughnut, they should be yeast based and can be either oven baked or preferably deep fried. If they are substantially more sugar than anything else then I would guess they are just more American crap food foisted upon us poor dumb Aussies mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Ah - but they are yeast based - they just add more air. They have some patent process that adds hot air to make them lighter.

They go through a huge machine with the temperature & humidity controlled so that they rise - then they are fried and iced.

Paul

A Krispy Kreme fan since I discovered then in Las Vegas tongue tongue tongue

And Mr coffee addict UFO they make a brew that is almost drinkable - better then any other US chain anyway!
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

To be a true doughnut, they should be yeast based and can be either oven baked or preferably deep fried.
    And lightly dusted in cinnamon sugar! None of that junk smothered in icing or full of second rate jam for me!

And Mr coffee addict UFO they make a brew that is almost drinkable
    Yes, an "almost drinkable brew" perhaps, but is it coffee? Never yet tried anything from any Yankee chain that even remotely resembled the stuff!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

UFO
    Paul Smith:
    Ah - but they are yeast based - they just add more air. They have some patent process that adds hot air to make them lighter.

They go through a huge machine with the temperature & humidity controlled so that they rise - then they are fried and iced.

Paul

A Krispy Kreme fan since I discovered then in Las Vegas tongue tongue tongue

And Mr coffee addict UFO they make a brew that is almost drinkable - better then any other US chain anyway!
    An American food full of hot air! Now there's a reason why most of the population of the US are so full of it!

American and good coffee are mutually exclusive terms! mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts
    Paul Smith:
    And the coffee cart guy never turned up at the French Car Day did they? I heard UFO complaining early in the day tongue

Derek

You can still hear him complaining - he had to stop in Leichhardt for a fix on the way home. mallet mallet

Paul

<small>[ 24 July 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Paul Smith ]</small>
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

UFO
    Paul Smith:
    You can still hear him complaining - he had to stop in Leichhardt for a fix on the way home. mallet mallet

Paul
    Me and about half the rest of the people there were ALL fanging for coffee by lunchtime.

Just come back from a few days west of the mountains. It was a HUGE relief to have lunch in Springwood and ask for a strong flat white and get something that actually had a kick in it.

I had a so called SFW in Orange on Sunday arvo and I reckon I could pee stronger coffee than they served
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

You clearly lack a decent survival kit, UFO.

Get

One little Camping Gaz or Primus burner (the ones that take the little removable, disposable gas cartridges)

One personal espresso machine (available at good camping gear shops although I have one of those old Italian "Atomic" machines, which adds a bit of style to the process, but takes more gas)

A 1 litre water bottle

Ground beans of your choice.

A nice cup

Sit on the fence of any yankee grunge maker's establishment and do your own thing.

Yes, carrying gas bottles in the boot isn't recommended on safety grounds and you do run the risk of being mugged by other frustrated coffee drinkers, but hey, its worth the risk!
    Couldn't live without my survival kit when I'm in the bush!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I liked the Kispy Kreme Donuts, yes they are lightly coated in a glaze and are light and fluffy. They are certainly different to the Donuts that I'm used to, but having said that I would'nt go out of way to have some.
    It might be worth out there on a club cruise or the starting point for a cruise!
    Stick with Donut King if you must have Donuts, at least they are Aussie owned!
    cheers!
    Renomad
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    UFO:
    Paul Smith:

Paul
    Me and about half the rest of the people there were ALL fanging for coffee by lunchtime.

Just come back from a few days west of the mountains. It was a HUGE relief to have lunch in Springwood and ask for a strong flat white and get something that actually had a kick in it.

I had a so called SFW in Orange on Sunday arvo and I reckon I could pee stronger coffee than they served
    all the way out to orange and you were so close to a real coffee right here in parkes
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

What? Not that International Roast you dish up?

Though, as you know, I'm a very weak coffee drinker, got an exceptionally keen sense of taste, so I don't have to offend my body to get a taste of coffee.

As for the donuts, I'm very much on side with Rod there... cinnamon sugar is all you need, icing is offensive, jam is right out of place. Keep it for toast at breakfast...

nJm
    The best donuts I've had were at a small french bakery chain in Melbourne, called the Laurent Bakery. They were light, but not too fluffy, and had this wonderful home made jam in them. They also have custard and chocolate filled ones.

They make fantastic coffee too wink . Also do nice lunch, eg a smoked salmon baguet etc. Oh, and you have to try their Pain De Chocolat!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts
    nJm:
    The best donuts I've had were at a small french bakery chain in Melbourne, called the Laurent Bakery. They were light, but not too fluffy, and had this wonderful home made jam in them. They also have custard and chocolate filled ones.

They make fantastic coffee too wink . Also do nice lunch, eg a smoked salmon baguet etc. Oh, and you have to try their Pain De Chocolat!
    Nick,
    Next time I'm in Melbourne (for a drive day, or whatever reason) I'm going there!

Derek

nJm
    Every saturday our family goes to the Camberwell market to get some nice things from one of the delis (like really nice pate etc), and then we walk down to the Laurent Bakery to get a fresh baguet or two. Oh, and their easter buns are to die for

Like UFO, if there is one thing I like more than french cars, it is french food

Derek, after a quick Google I found an article from when he opened his city cafe. Something to wet your appetite for lunch anyway (also interesting from a buisness perspective)
    <a href="http://www.miettas.com/restaurants/rest_96-00/laurent451.html" target="_blank">http://www.miettas.com/restaurants/rest_96-00/laurent451.html</a>

<small>[ 26 July 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

i went to krispy kremes yest...and these donuts are to die for...unbelievable... tongue its all fresh too...line was outside at 10pm at night!

Also while there on my way out...another Peugeot 206 was pulling in...we tell each other "nice car" but i forgot to give him a sticker cry mallet number plate was HOW-31E or something like that...
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

UFO
    [/qb][/QUOTE]all the way out to orange and you were so close to a real coffee right here in parkes [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well actually we stayed with the rellos in Dubbo for a couple of days and I survived on what was available there. My sister had bought in fresh beans - aint she grand!

I forgot too - we did stop in Mudgee on the way back for coffee at the Butchershop Cafe in the main street. They roast their own beans and the flavour and strength of their coffee was quite good. We will return!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

My pearents own our own cafe' and i hate coffee.... weird aint it.
    They are now causing a bit of a revolution with the old bidies who used to ONLY have tea,.. we have chocolate, hazelnut, honey and Butterscocht coffee's. And they are selling pretty well, considering most still prefer a proper well balanced long black, good bean, properly roasted and then gournd right, not too ruf not to fine...., good double filtered water and a warm cup.

Any hoot, most people find it weird, when i do have it its a Butterscotch Latte, or a nice Spider....
    As for Donuts, i hate the sterotype cop so much that i would never bring my self to eat one, much prefer a Crepe or Hot waffle! yum!... my 2 francs cheers chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information