Times are changing, or is that a little bit of froggie history repeating?
  • Register
  • Help

Times are changing, or is that a little bit of froggie history repeating?

Lads and ladies, just had to comment on the recent (last few years and now), uprising and domination in Motor Sport by frech labels!!.. makes me smile.
    The WRC dominated by Pugs and Cits. Now the F1 has a new force to reckon with! Renaults win, puts all 3 brands firmly as established brands. Competetive and all done with typical Frenchie flavour, and lots of style!

Advertisement

Is this just our time, are we seeing a new wave come sweeping through?
    Or is it that RETRO theme has hit Motorsport? history has a funy way of coming back onto us, i like it.
    -chris.

ps, Look out 2004, french domination again?
    ... ptui!

You could be right; it could be a touch of retro which if it is, it has to be remembered that given French history, there could be a strong incentive to succeed....after all it was the French who also invented the saying "Off with his head!!" eek! eek! mallet

THAT'S what you call motivation. deal cry

Alan S roll_lau
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Henry the Eighth experimented with this approach fairly extensively a while before Madame Guillotine (though maybe he would have been more inclined to use the phrase "off with her head). mallet

My own experiences with English cars of bygone years lead me to believe that it was also a saying more closely connected with English driving experiences than French. spanner wink

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 26 August 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm
    Yes, I'm sure chopping heads off was a common thing in medievil England, however despite the guillotine being used as a tool of the first french revolution in 1789, it is still unknown who actually invented it. It is believed a very similar device was being used in parts of what later became Germany and Italy long before Doctor Joseph Guillotin suggested its use to the National Assembly.

That's my pointless history lesson for the week anyway .

For one more pointless fact, did you know that the last time the French used a guillotine was 1977!

<small>[ 26 August 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

UFO
    Nick

I assume you mean for its intended purposes? Not just to slice up a really crusty baguette? eek!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I think its just that when the French makes decide to go racing, they always come up with the goods (ehem, except Peugeot's F1 venture *cough* whistle ). Just shows how competetive they are.

I freaked when i heard Honda were coming back to F1 years ago because i thought they had the same endeavour as Renault...decide to go racing to be the best. Then i realised Honda didnt have Renault to copy this time around (Honda actually had a wide angled V10 on the drawing board, so in case Renault had hit a winner they could have quickly jumped on the wide angled V10 band wagon disappro )

I love french cars.The recent Renault win has bolstered that folks..

Thread Information