What fuel do you use?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

What fuel do you use?

Shat fuel do you prefer to use in your car?
    There seems to be a lot of strong views on this subject.

Advertisement
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

My previous car - Renault 16TS:

Usually used LRP, but did also run it on PULP for about 5000km. The Renault ran happily on either fuel with no apparent ill-effects, and no perceptible performance difference either way. Used all the major brands, with no really noteable differences in performance. I did once try it on ULP, but she did not like it at all - pinging was quite prevalent. It was the first time I've ever heard the R16 ping.

However, my current car, a 504GL is a different story:

Pinging has been a big problem on LRP and PULP. I would like to run SPULP (Optimax or equivalent) as I think these would go a long way to solving that problem, but they are not yet available in Southern Tasmania, to my knowledge. Until about 6 months ago I used LRP, because I couln't be bothered adding valve saver, but after the quality of this fuel seemed to take a downward plunge, judging by an increase in pinging with every tank, I switched to PULP with Flashlube added for valve seat protection. I immediatetly noticed smoother running with less pinging than with LRP. I have since cured what remained of the pinging problem by switching to a slightly coooler grade of spark plug (NGK BP7ES) instead of the recommended BP6ES, and have fitted a transistor assisted ignition system to reduce timming scatter. However despite the pinging being cured, I still need to run the ignition timing at 4 degrees BTDC instead of the recommended 5 degrees, as the engine seems to labour (though without pinging now) at the factory spec on the 96 octane fuel. I'm quite sure that the extra 2 degrees of octanne rating of SPULP would allow the car to run happily at the factory advance setting, and perhaps even with the factory spark plug temperature rating. But whatever hapens, I won't be going back to LRP.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

I just use any premium unleaded like I was told to do from the dealer..

I'm sure this would vary a bit from car to car, but Iíve driven my 306 with a full tank of Optimax, Bp Ultimate and Mobil Synergy. I know Mobil isn't the most legitimate of companies and isn't liked at all by some, but I found that my car responded best to their premium fuel.
    BP ultimate was a close second and i just found Optimax to be rather minimal in any benefits. However all these fuels advertise greater efficiency compared to 95 R.O.N fuels, which I have failed to see, if anything efficiency is less.

Anyone else have different results?

I only use bp Ultimate and Shell Optimax. BP charges a 7c premium for Ultimate (every rebranded bp in Melbourne I've been to follows this pricing structure) and a 4c premium for its PULP. Shell charges a premium of 8.4-8.5c (basically for rounding purposes, eg. if ULP is 0.895, Optimax will have a 8.4c premium so that the price is 0.979 instead of 0.980).

With the large premium that is charged for Optimax, you aren't going to get any fuel economy benefit out of it. I haven't bothered to compare economy with ULP, given the high compression ratio in the 307 1.6 (11.0:1), I just buy it because it's better for the car. This costs me around $120 extra a year (ie. vs using ULP), or $10 a month - it's not that bad.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Biodiesel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

rek
    BP Ultimate. 98 RON PULP that's both cleaner and cheaper than all the others .. what's more to say?

EDIT: I've noticed that the extra cost for 98 vs. 95 RON fuel evens out with the added fuel economy. Since the 98 RON stuff is cleaner and makes the car run better, it's an easy decision.

<small>[ 24 August 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: rek ]</small>
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

My sister worked out the difference on here car a Mazda 121 1.3L Carby. She said that the economy on the mobil premium actually made it cheaper to get the better fuel because she could do so many more kilometres. That is to say she would spend less money in petrol doing the same distance on premium than not. Maybe the diference is only large on smaller engine higher CR cars.
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Fellow Frogger!
    I have only used Optimax since new, as manual says minimum 95RON, however dealer and media says car min 91RON. Tried 3 tanks of BP ultimate as quite a few WRX people reckons it gives more range (better economy). However my results suggest that it is the same, so I'm back to Optimax (more convenient). Like previously mentioned, I find that at my consumption it will only be extra $120 or so a year, and even less with improved economy. I think it's worth while to pay for the extra performance, and "cleaner engine" if what Shell say is true.

Fellow Frogger!
    I have found in all my cars that PULP gives better economy and better performance than ULP. My fuel of choice is Caltex, also sold by 7-11 servos. Now that Shell are offering the supermarket discount I am using Optimax, however the extra cost of Opitimax over other PULP fuels takes the edge off the disount.

The CX I have for sale at present (see cars for sale) was low on fuel last night, so on an almost empty tank i put in some Optimax. With a short distance, 1-2 km, the performance of the CX was markedly better, which would also give better economy with gentle driving. I am told the car was on LRP previously. I was very surprised at the immediate difference just by changing fuels.

BP Ultimate. 98 RON PULP that's both cleaner and cheaper than all the others .. what's more to say
    I agree 100%

I always use Ultimate but if its not available ill use the Mobil Synergy 98 Ron. Thats pretty good too

I try to stay clear of Optimax it just doesn't have the same results.

Most times Ultimate is rather cheap (around the 90cents area) and the car just pulls alot cleaner and smoother. In my old motor (8V) it used to make a little difference but not that much maybe thats why Asanka??

In the GTi6...dunno i have only used 98Ron and i dont want to use less for fear of pinging. In the GTO the 98Ron stuff makes a world of difference
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Pug307:
    I only use bp Ultimate and Shell Optimax. BP charges a 7c premium for Ultimate (every rebranded bp in Melbourne I've been to follows this pricing structure) and a 4c premium for its PULP. Shell charges a premium of 8.4-8.5c (basically for rounding purposes, eg. if ULP is 0.895, Optimax will have a 8.4c premium so that the price is 0.979 instead of 0.980).
    I can't remember exactly which one it was, but some time ago, either the Eltham or Diamond Creek BP had their premium for Ultimate at around the 8.5 - 9c mark, similar to Shell. At the time I was only going to BP because their 98RON fuel was cheapest, so when I saw the price, I just drove straight through.

I've been keeping a log of how far I go on each full tank of fuel and on what brand fuel. I've found that it's hard to determine any differences in the performances of the fuels as there are often differences in driving styles week to week, ratio of city to highway driving, weather, etc. that can all affect fuel economy.

I've noticed that lately I've been getting some good results both in regards to economy and in performance using Optimax. This could be due though to my engine being in better condition now than a few months ago. I will try experimenting again with Ultimate and Mobil soon.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Well, i use ELF race-98... then i wake up.

98% of the time its Ultimate. Its works well with the dry, cold air at Wakefield park race track, lol. But then 2%, its any of the 98ron fuels. In car like mine that gets driven so very little (ie:15,000 Ks in 3 years). I don;t reall notice a diffreance.
    One thing that does make adif, its how much gear is in it. I recomend taking out all the junk for those few who don't have the same (fetish?) cleaning habits some of us have, as we found out on the cleaning tips post.-chris
    ... ptui!

When I bought my first Mi16, a series 1 Aus. spec. model, I did some tests with ULP vs. PULP (98 wasn't available then). Under the same conditions (driving to work), PULP consistently returned 10% better fuel economy. This meant it was always cheaper to run PULP than ULP, regardless of the price difference. Any car with a knock sensor (95% of cars on the road) would experience the same improvement.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts
    cruiserman:
    Biodiesel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Cruiserman Go the Biodiesel. You just reminded me that UNSW (Kensington, Sydney) is distributing Biodiesel "at prices less than normal diesel". For those Sydney-siders interested:

from Tharunka - unsw student newspaper<strong>
    Cameron Little - UNSW Ecoliving Centre
    14 Arthur St
    Randwick
    Ph 02 9398 8838 or 0414 385 644
    email: [email protected]
    Hope that helps some Sydney diesel users
    I try to use BP Ultimate, but the only servo I can find with it in my travels is at Kensington, and I almost always catch public transport to uni anyway!

Derek

WRCPUG:
    BP Ultimate. 98 RON PULP that's both cleaner and cheaper than all the others .. what's more to say
    I agree 100%

I always use Ultimate but if its not available ill use the Mobil Synergy 98 Ron. Thats pretty good too

I try to stay clear of Optimax it just doesn't have the same results.

Most times Ultimate is rather cheap (around the 90cents area) and the car just pulls alot cleaner and smoother. In my old motor (8V) it used to make a little difference but not that much maybe thats why Asanka??

In the GTi6...dunno i have only used 98Ron and i dont want to use less for fear of pinging. In the GTO the 98Ron stuff makes a world of difference
    I found the same thing ....I used a full tank of Shell Optimax and I don't feel any difference in terms of better or smoother acceleration nor any better fuel economy (I used that tank of fuel mostly on highways). IMHO, I don't why ppl swear by Shell Optimax, if I had the choice between BP Ultimate and Shell optimax I would definately choose BP, because at least I got better fuel economy.

that is my 2_cents

Cheers
    Billy cheers!
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

petermelb:
    I have found in all my cars that PULP gives better economy and better performance than ULP. My fuel of choice is Caltex, also sold by 7-11 servos. Now that Shell are offering the supermarket discount I am using Optimax.....
    You should be able to get similar prices for Caltex soon, peter. Safeway / Woolworths have apparently just signed a deal with Caltex emulating the Coles / Shell arangement.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

[quote]silverexec:
    Originally posted by Pug307:
    [qb]I can't remember exactly which one it was, but some time ago, either the Eltham or Diamond Creek BP had their premium for Ultimate at around the 8.5 - 9c mark, similar to Shell.

Richard
    This is completely off topic, Richard, but you aren't the silver 505 exec I sometimes see parked outside Eltham High by any chance?

The BP at Diamond Creek is usually pretty cheap, because of the competition from the Safeway place over the road. Haven't seen such high price differentials there myself. The Caltex at Diamond Creek seems to have dropped its prices a bit too. The PULP there is WAY better than it was a couple of years back.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    BP pulp in town here untill the BP got in ultimate now i use that
    never touch caltex
    never touch woolies fuel
    or any of those others like burmah and the like
    used shell every now and then
    i find optimax is good for some older cars to give them a good clean out more than anything
    the caltex in town here is run by an arrogant bloke and hires arrogant employees
    and for some reason i get similar feelings with most caltex servos
    if they aren't friendly i don't support them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

rek:
    BP Ultimate. 98 RON PULP that's both cleaner and cheaper than all the others .. what's more to say?
    They're the two main reasons I go for Ultimate, even if it were priced the same as Optimax, I'd still take it. It just satisfies the little greenie part of me

It's a pity Australia never took to CNG (compressed natural gas), we have plenty of it and it's cleaner than the other traditional fuels we use here. Almost seems like a marriage made in heaven between Greenies and Economists. Imagine being able to fill up at home!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I run Caltex Vortex which is a 98 octane PULP(only because I have a Caltex Card!!!) but prefer Mobil Synergy as I really think it is noticeably better than all the other PULP's which I rate "equal second"
    The fleet includes my 2 citroens (1974 GS Club and 1989 BX 19TRI) I also use it in a 1978 Triumph 2500 S; 1970 Hillman Hunter and 2002 Land Rover Discovery.
    The differance in the "modern" cars desinged to run on ULP is quite evident in performance, economy and also distance between services. I wouldn't run anything but a PULP fuel in a post 1987 vehcicle. In the "older" leaded cars howevever I run Vortex with "Flashlube" valve seeat lubricant as well and they run quite happily with no pinging and good performance although they also run breakerless "Lumination" electronic ignition points which I think makes the world of difference to any pre EFI / ECU vehicle.
    One thing I would never do is use LRP or ULP in anything .. I wouldnt even run that stuff in my lawn mower... as fuels they are both so bad that in any other developped "first world country" the petrol stations would be shut down for selling them... oh and never anything with Ethanol... thats worse than water in your fuel in the long run... at least with water there's more chance your car stops before the engine is ruined... unlike Ethanol that destroys it slowly...!!!
    So it's really not what fuel you use but rather which ones you don't that matters... any PULP IMHO will do the job, but enything less and you're asking for trouble.. and if enough enthusiasts bought the PULP then maybe it just might come down in price!!!!
    It's funny there should be so much interest in fuels... all of a sudden when this issue has been going on for 15 years now... and let's not forget that the greatest fuel in the world means didly squat in an engine with cheap or incorrect oil!!!
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

I have to use LRP so I just have to live with it
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

We have no choice about using Caltex, as there are no other brands for at least 30kms. There is no PULP in the village we live just out of, so it is ULP of LRP. I use ULP in the 403, and it runs alright, although I don't rev it hard and it will get a new set of valve seats soon.
    When I was running the 604 everyday I used nothing but ULP, and it ran fine. A bit gutless maybe, but it ran OK.
    As Frogs4ever said, there is no 98RON in Hobart yet, so that option is out. Hopefully my local will get PULP soon.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

My own take on the 98 octane fuels (Optimax, Vortex, Synergy and Ultimate) these days is that , at least in Victoria, the performance variations between them are more a matter of the factors like the cleanliness of the service station tanks into which they have been put, the "freshness" of the fuel, etc , rather than significant differences between the "base" fuels themselves. They all work very well, most of the time.

The Kwinana refined PB Ultimate probably is the "cleanest" in Australia , but I've had difficulty working out whether Kwinana is , in fact, the source for Ultimate everywhere. Some of BP's own publications hint that this might not, in fact, be the case. In Victoria and NSW I know that other refineries also supply at least some products to BP service stations (Just as BP supply product to others in Qld) . Not sure if this includes 98 octane.

I suspect though, that variations in people's comments here about their own experiences of different brands probably result from these sorts of things, coupled with service station turnover and tank cleanliness etc (and even variations in temperature at the time when they filled up with particular brands etc), than the quality of the fuels themselves.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Rod Hagen:
    My own take on the 98 octane fuels (Optimax, Vortex, Synergy and Ultimate)
    Vortex is actually a 95RON fuel (96RON in some markets).
    The rest are 98RON fuels.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information