Is it possible to get a decent 205GTi for less than $8k?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Is it possible to get a decent 205GTi for less than $8k?

I've decided that, rather than spending the small reserve of cash I have, I'm going to sell my car, and use the funds from it to entirely replace it. I've decided, its a 205, or I keep my volvo. Now I have seen the occaisional mint condition S1 205 for around $8k, but they seem few and far between. I really want something with 150,000kms or less. I know people say that there are plenty of fine cars with 200,000kms, but regardless, a 200k kms car is a gamble. Add to that, its far more likely to be experiencing plastic problems and the like, with the body being unlikely to be in as good condition. I want a series 1. Stock. I don't mind about the drum rears, lack of p/s, sliding dials, less power, etc. But am I thinking realistically expecting to find one for less than $8k?

Advertisement

Thanks guys. Any advice would be appreciated.

With a little patience I think you should be able to get a decent s1 for 8K or less.....( i have no idea what 205 numbers are like in Tas )

150,000 original kms for a car that is at least 13+yrs old is starting to be a fairly big ask....and finding an S1 with an intact original dash/ventilation controls/glovebox will be near impossible....

Is there a reason you want an S1 over an s2 or "3"?

Tadpole
    Hi Nick

I live in tas and have an S1 gti. Mine had heaps of work done by the previous owner, inc rebuild motor, new clutch, gearbox, bilstien suspension all round and a k&n intake. It had 140K on the clock when i brought it 12 months ago and got it for under 8K. The plastics are ok, the back panel on the hatch needs to be replaced however. I think you'd struggle to get one without the plastic problems that seems to plague the early models...

yeah i agree. you've got the right price but not many 13yr old cars have less than 150,000 kms unless the owner tried hard to preserve it, and not many ppl would have tried so hard on a S1. You could get an S2 which will more likely have a nicer interior and no sliding dials but the kms you ask for are pretty unrealistic for the price. 2_cents
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Tell him he's dreaming...

Tadpole
    I picked up my s1 88 gti for just over 8 - and it was only over because I opted to grab the eibach springs he was selling with the car.
    It only had 98k on the clock, and the rear had been converted to discs, and it had s3 15inch wheels.
    The dash is beautiful too, no creaking, no rattles.
    I got what I would say is a killer deal, but I did have to wait a while, checking various cars for the right one...
    So yes, you can do it, but you have to be prepared to wait a little...

Fellow Frogger!
    Mate you could have bought the car in QLD for 7.5k .... a beautiful 1992 S3!!!!

Too much uhming and ahhring mean't that you missed out. Such a great car and Simon was begging people to buy it.

Look at the post in cars for sale ... is there not one for $4800 .... get it for $4k and spend $3k on fixing it up?
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

or buy a certain blue 405 mi16? wink

couple of grand more will get you some of the goodies

I've done the buy the cheaper rougher car and spend the change fixing it thing twice now, and really can't be stuffed with the effort again. With rough cars, more and more problems just seem to keep showing up.

Simon's car looked good, but with 200,000kms+ on it, I just couldnt justify it.

Andreas - i love your car, but can't justify owning something so conspicous! I love the look of it, but unfortunately, the carpark my car lives in isnt secure enough, and it'd end up getting keyed or something. Add to that, i'm really after a 205.

Ahh, just I think i'm just going to wait, and keep looking until I find the perfect car. I've seen a couple about, it just seems as though they only appear (like i'm looking for), once every couple of months.

Don't just limit yourself to X k's or else you might miss out on a good car. My old 205 was the best I have ever driven and it had done 205000 when I bought it. Of course you may also buy a high km pig too. Just have a look at whatever comes along, cos these cars will do lotsa k's easily. Have a closer look at the previous owner and what he's spent on the car.
    I would have thought you would be desperate to get out of a Volvo no matter what. I would be.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

What about this one?

This is about as good as you'll get as far as km go I reckon.

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000675" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000675</a>

He's still dreaming...

There's no hurry to get out of the volvo - i mean, its no dynamic masterpiece, but its certainly a more comfortable, easier car to drive than a 205 - quicker in a straight line too. But then again, I'm over that, and I want something fun.

As for the sydney car for $6k, does anyone know why the aircon doesnt work? I mean, to get it working, it could be $1000. No big deal if nothing else requires fixing. It does look very clean though, paint looks immaculate, and low kms. Unfortunately, I don't really know anyone in Sydney, and after the two times I've used car inspectors (once on my old mazda, once on an mi16 i looked at), i'd be very hesitant to use anyone but someone i know personally again.

It is a very, very clean looking car though.

Edit - after seriously looking there, that car is unbelievable value, does anyone know anything about it? I've never seen the user on the forums before, does anyone know him or the car?

<small>[ 23 July 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: nchandler ]</small>

Who cares if the air con doesn't work? Didn't you want a ser1 in which case you wouldn't even have it to start with?

Umm series 1 had aircon didnt they? And who cares if the aircon doesnt work? I do. Because when its 35-40 degrees in melbournes summer, and you're driving for half an hour across city, putting the windows down doesnt exactly cut the mustard. Aircon would be good, yes.

Tell him he's really dreaming if he thinks his volvo is quicker than a 205...

Luca perhaps you could heed this advice, and stick to the following guidelines.

1) If you don't have something productive to say, don't bother saying it. You've said nothing of value in this thread.
    2) Read my post. I said straight line. My Volvo is a 740 Turbo. It runs 11psi, and a 2.5" stainless exhaust. In standard trim, its good for 116kw. I'd assume now (3.5psi increase and exhaust), it'd be good for 135-140kw. So please, remember what someone wise once said, and remember that it is "better to remain silent and smug, rather to open one's mouth and look stupid."

Nicky... don't take u're self so seriously brow... lighten up kid.

Drive a 205 and then u'll know what i'm talking about. If you wanna drive mine u're welcome, send me a PM.
    Bring your Vulva too.

I'm not taking myself too seriously mate, its just I wasn't all that happy with your comments. I'll happily acknowledge that my volvo is a barge. And yes i've driven a couple of 205s. My car is quicker in a straight line, but that's where it ends, and that, is why I want a 205, and not my volvo.

No harm intended mate. Apologies for the outburst, i think I took your comment the wrong way.

It's cool brow... chill a little. wink

Luca:

Drive a 205 and then u'll know what i'm talking about.
    What exactly *are* you talking about?

I thought you could get S1's with either Aircon or Power steering, but not both. I could be wrong.

Nick - have you considered increasing your budget a wee bit and snapping up a good S3? If it were my money, I could justify it on something like Parry's immaculate white example, or even that one that TVR posted a while ago.

Also - if you want me to have a look at a car in the East or South Sydney, shoot me a mail. I can take lots of digital photos and ask general questions, but am not great on the mechanical side of things.

Brendan

P.S. the offer is still on the table... and u're Volv ain't quicker than Darren's, Warwick's, Peter T's or my 205. Come have a look.

It's freaky that at this point in time, both Luca and Nick have 205 posts to their name wink

*Cue the X-Files track*

<small>[ 23 July 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: macquered ]</small>

I was devine intervention Brendan.... ha haa!!

macquered:
    Luca:

Drive a 205 and then u'll know what i'm talking about.
    What exactly *are* you talking about?

I thought you could get S1's with either Aircon or Power steering, but not both. I could be wrong.
    S1s had A/C (all aussie GTIs infact, I think all the SIs too ), Only S3s onwards had power steering.

EDIT

nchandler,

Don't expect anything amazing from 205 a/c......on a 35+ degree days they struggle, it will be cooler than outside, but not by alot......

<small>[ 23 July 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information