Back In or Pull In?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Back In or Pull In?

Do you generally back into a garage or pull forward into a garage? If you back in, why do you do so?

I noticed in this neighborhood there's a small number of guys(only guys) who always back into their garages and I often wondered why. The other thing I noticed about the men who back in is that they generally seem to reverse into the garage at a higher rate of speed than most people who pull in.

Advertisement

I always just drive in and back out. Doesnt make sense to reverse in to me. Obviously, reversing is more effort than driving in, and considering when you go in, you are pulling into a confined space, and when going out, you are driving into an open area, makes more sense to pull in/reverse out - unless you are on a busy street in the mornings, and its easier to reverse in at night, and difficult to pull out in the mornings. Plus, i park in a carpark all the time, and i prefer having the rear end of my car exposed with a tow bar.

Nick

The same could be said for how we park on roads in various country towns. Here in Victoria the trend seems to be to park nose in at a 45 deg. angle. Having lived in Bathurst/Orange and other NSW towns in my younger days I got used to reversing in with the nose of the vehical pointing in the direction of travel at a 45 deg angle. I found this to make more sense as it was easier to get out into the traffic. People had to stop behind you to allow you to park in the first place if the street wasn't too wide, but it made it a bit easier and safer to get out especially if you had parked next to a van or a 4wd.

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

I find it actually much easier to back into a tight space - like a shopping centre cark park bay, than to drive in (the same principles apply as in reverse parking). One problem in Victoria is that people assume you will be going nose in so they always pull up way too close behind you , making it impossible to do so. Drives me mad sometimes. (But, hey, I learned to drive in Sydney where "rear to kurb" parking requirements are much more common.)

With garages it depends a bit on the setup and the street. Its no fun backing into a major road so if the opportunity presents itself to back in rather than out in such circumstances, I take it. On the other hand , if it doesn't then its not worth forcing the issue.

At home, where I can turn around in the driveway, it doesn't make any difference, and I tend to alternate, but if I'm parking a car for someone else I usually leave it with its nose facing the way out.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Ralph
    [QB]The same could be said for how we park on roads in various country towns. Here in Victoria the trend seems to be to park nose in at a 45 deg. angle. Having lived in Bathurst/Orange and other NSW towns in my younger days I got used to reversing in with the nose of the vehical pointing in the direction of travel at a 45 deg angle. QB]
    and have you ever noticed in the country towns that everyone who drives must have failed geometry at school or simply they have just forgotten what 45deg looks like
    rear to curb at 45 is excellent if people park at 45
    the closer to 90 you get rear to curb the more the car has to travel on to the road to exit the parking spot
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

But , of course, in most country towns it doesn't really matter a jot now that the local bank and government offices have closed, etc etc.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!
    ROD HAGEN, lets say you were driving a big luxury sedan like an Audi A8 and you were in a lot that didn't have any spaces designated for full-sized cars and you had to park the A8 in a space designated for a compact car, would you still back in then? Now that's a tight spot

Also, I asked this same question on another board. Out of 20 respondents, only one said he didn't back in. Have I phrased this question that encourages mainly guys who back in to respond? I have to ask this because I very rarely see anyone who backs in anywhere

<small>[ 23 August 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Jamesnj ]</small>

in a garage i have always backed in mainly to put the passenger side of the car as close to the wall as possible to allow more room to get in and out of the car and also all i have the do is drive out
    also by backing in if i need to look under the bonnet for any reason there is always more light from the sun than there is from any garage light
    also by backing in you can store gear at the back of the garage and still be able to get gear out of the boot without opening the garage door
    i'm the type that really doesn't like neighbours bieng able to see what i have in my boot
    it's just a privacy thing for me
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hey James, hey Guys,

James, out of interest - are there many froggies over your way?

Re - your question...

i usually reverse into carparking spots & always reverse into my garage.

Here's why:

I think as far as carpaking spots go... when leaving i'd prefer to be able to jump in the car and pull out of my spot effortlessly...

A) There's less chance of reversing into a child, bike, old lady, etc (you get the idea)

...and B) It's easier to get the car straight (for me) when reversing into the spot as the front wheels are at the front of the park, enabling you to steer and adjust accordingly. I find 9 times out of ten when people just pull into a park - nose first, that they're not parked straight. This is rarely the case when you reverse in.

Now - as far as reversing into the garage goes, the above rule applies - BUT for me it's also a case of necessity, so i do not damage the front bar of my RCS...The garage is under the house, and the driveway has a sudden, & steep slope leading in to the garage...somehow the car's front end 'just' clears the ground as i reverse in...but as soon as you try to go nose in, in rips the shit out of the front end.

So - there's my carparking info!

have a nice day!

For me, reversing is natural, a lot of people find reversing 'too difficult' or a hassle...so everyone's open to their own opinion.
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

Jamesnj:
    ROD HAGEN, lets say you were driving a big luxury sedan like an Audi A8 and you were in a lot that didn't have any spaces designated for full-sized cars and you had to park the A8 in a space designated for a compact car, would you still back in then? Now that's a tight spot

Also, I asked this same question on another board. Out of 20 respondents, only one said he didn't back in. Have I phrased this question that encourages mainly guys who back in to respond? I have to ask this because I very rarely see anyone who backs in anywhere
    In a situation like that one, I'd invariably back in James. Think about the way a car tracks when it is going backwards compared to the way it tracks going forward. (or try a shopping trolley at the supermarket with fixed front wheels and moving rear ones and try manouvering it both backwards (like driving in forwards) and forwards (like driving in backwards).

Its really much easier to manouver into a tight space going backwards in a car. Concentrate on the pivot point.

As to the second part, maybe car boards are skewed towards people who have an interest in such things and know the advantages? Or maybe they are populated by people who like to "show off" that they can do it the "classy" way, for reasons such as those I outlined in your male / female driving thread? Or maybe they just like to say that they do? wink

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 23 August 2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

1000+ Posts
    MY 4,

The Clio was voted the car with best rear-ward vision in Australia, so I guess your car is very easy to reverse park.

Myself.. I always reverse into my spot in the carport, because it saves having to do a 5 point turn to get out of the driveway. Coming home, it only involves a 3 point turn to reverse into the carport.

Out and about I do tend to reverse in, although not always in Westfield/large shopping centre multi storey car parks.

Derek.

nJm
    I usually back into parking spots at shopping centres. It isn't a huge issue in the 505 as its turning circle is quite small, although backing in certainly saves on arm muscles (as my GR doesn't have power steer). Driving my parent's Magna always requires backing in. To go in nose first will often take 5 goes to get the car in, let alone getting it in straight. I always laugh (and pitty) the other poor Magna driver's on the roads when they attempt to park nose first. I believe the turning circle is 11.3m and it is hardly a small car.

On another note, every friday when I get the train into work there is always a young lady who takes about 5 minutes to reverse park her Toyota Echo (automatic) hatch into a wide spot without a car on one side of her. It scares me these people can get licences!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

would you realise that no matter how many people here complain about the turning circle on the GTi-6 i never have any trouble in out local woolies car park nosing the car into parking spots and getting the car straight
    it's about the only time i actually nose into a parking spot
    if i go out of town and park in shopping centres elsewhere i reverse in as i feel that if the car is going to get damaged at all i'd prefer a front guard over a rear guard getting damaged as they are easier to replace
    i just hope it never happens as it has never happened yet
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I almost invariably reverse into my parking spot in the yard. It makes it easier to just drive out, it means that if I lend my car, I don't have to worry about the reversing abilities, and it makes it MUCH easier to kick start it when it has a flat battery (I have a long downhill driveway).
    In carparks, I usually reverse in, as it is easier to see when you are driving out, but I don't always. I alsays reverse park when the parking is parrallell to the kerb.
    Another reason why I reverse park a lot, is that I find it very satisfying to pard a large vehicle in a small spot very precisely, and reversing allows more presicion. Also it is more difficult, and I enjoy the challenge. After school, I used to load the milk truck for the local milkman, and the most fun part was reverse parking the truck on the other side of the yard using only mirrors, as it had a refrigerated body on the back.
    I find it very annoying to drive a car without mirrors on both sides, as they are SO useful when reverse parking. You can, by using the mirrors, park into a spot so tight that there is a few inches between you and the other car at the apex of your turn. I find that fun, and I have never dented another car that way. My elderly neighbour says that she doesn't know anyone who can park in a tighter space. Tht mainly proves she doesn't know many drivers , but it also shows that when you enjoy somethiong, you will try to get good at it.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Jamesnj:
    Yes, always, when driving the BMW 750iL (before it spontaneously combusted and wrote itself off, that is), which is just as wide and longer than an A8. Same with my old XF Falcon wagon.

I find it easier to back in to tight spots because the car initially 'jackknifes' in a tighter circle than it would if I were to front-in. I use both wing mirrors and view out the back windscreen to place it (lots of frantic head turning).
    Nose in would usually require more than one swing/reverse maneuver, especially in narrow streets or parking centres. Bear in mind the turning circles of the LWB BMW and XF wagon approach 14m.
    It's also easier to drive straight out rather than blindly reversing the 4m worth of metal behind you into a stream of traffic.
    (By the way, our BMW did not come with the radar park distance control... should be standard on something that big/long/wide/expensive)
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

I prefer to reverse in, chiefly so I can leave quickly. Also, on departure I have a better view of pedestrians and other cars zooming around.

Sometimes I might drive straight in - sometimes it's actually easier to reverse out of the space and drive off because of the carpark design. If I have a large load to deal with, I'd rather park the car with the hatch facing outwards, simply for convenience.

At home I drive in, because if I reverse in, the front passenger isn't well aligned with one of the wall pillars. Secondly, it's a lot easier to unload the car with the hatch facing outwards. But the car looks better from the front

Anyway, <a href="http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/motor/car-research/reversing-visibility/media/reversing-visibility-index.pdf" target="_blank">here</a> is the rear visibility index that Derek was referring to.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

In regards to the rear visibility index, I'm actually quite surprised by the 307's performance - ever compared the size of the rear glass of a 307 compared to a 306 - it's puny.

If you have a look at the "Paddy" event <a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/skystar/pictures/pic5.htm" target="_blank">here</a>, you'll realise how rearward visibility can be absolutely essential. In the 307, you can jack the seat up to MPV height, which does help. I've gotta say though, driving a slalom in reverse on full throttle ain't easy Great fun though - good training for valet parking

A lot of the European hatches now tend to have fairly high rear ends/waistlines, which don't help rear visibility.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

i always back mine in, so when i have to throw it up on stands to fix < insert problem here > which happens a lot! then i can open the rollerdoor and catch a bit more light! mallet

<small>[ 24 August 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: ilek300 ]</small>

How cool is that black clio in the link you posted about visibility?!

me likes the rims...very nice. has he lowered his lil' beast too?
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

I always drive into my car space as in my unit block you are not allowed to reverse out.You can only drive out.
    Im finally getting used to reverse parking though as I normally dont like it, but with the c3 its so easy to do.

It's always safer to reverse in... you're out there and can see what's coming, and they can see you.

But if you reverse out of a drive, especially if there are other cars parked close by, you're really vulnerable for so long before you can see what you're doing.

That said, there are some circumstances (a very quiet lane, for instance...) where it really doesn't matter.

MY 4:
    How cool is that black clio in the link you posted about visibility?!

me likes the rims...very nice. has he lowered his lil' beast too?
    That's Dave172's Clio and yep, it's been lowered.

Very good performer on the day, second overall. I think about the only thing I managed to beat the Clio Sport in, was driving in reverse for the Paddy

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    The 505 has very good visability. High seating position, low window sills and lots of glass. It has to be the best car I've driven in that regard. I'm sure Justin will remember my less than perfect 3 point turn I did in the 307. Talk about huge C pillars!

Having rear headrests makes quite a difference too. The best designs are those that either push the headrest down to almost flush with the rear seatback (eg P307, TS Magna etc) or headrests that fold out of the way, such as in Mercedes and Volvos. I love that in most of those more expensive cars there is a button on the dash you can push to flip the headrests down. It can really annoy any rear passengers!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm:
    I love that in most of those more expensive cars there is a button on the dash you can push to flip the headrests down. It can really annoy any rear passengers!
    They have yet to make a car that will flip the rear headrests back up - now THAT's one option box I'd tick.

The old 750 had these funky electric rear headrests that sit low on the bench when it's empty, but rise to the last set position when the seat is occupied, then lower themselves again when they leave. Can be freaky to unsuspecting passengers.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

I think it's a bit of a macho thing. That's why they reverse in faster than others nose in. You tend to see SS drivers doing this a lot.
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information