Can't stand reverse parking?
  • Register
  • Help

Can't stand reverse parking?

I wonder if this idea would be a godsend for those in the driving public who can't reverse park. Toyota's launching a Prius with an automatic self parking system.

I wonder how long it will be till we have cars that drive themselves? Already we have throttle by wire, brake by wire and I'm sure steer by wire is on its way too. Imagine the day when we'll miss driving

<a href="http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2003/08/20/FFXNHJO8KJD.html" target="_blank">Look, no hands: self-parking car brings salvation for truly useless drivers</a>

Advertisement

Gee, I hope it's not multiplexed by a certain mob

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I wonder how long it will be till we have cars that drive themselves?
    We've had something similar for quite some time, Justin.

Called "trains", from memory. wink

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

youd need one in a citron xsara... its rear c-pillar's as long as the berlin wall so seeing out back is ridiculous and changing lanes is absolutely suicidal!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

1000+ Posts
    pugjet:
    youd need one in a citron xsara... its rear c-pillar's as long as the berlin wall so seeing out back is ridiculous and changing lanes is absolutely suicidal!
    erm - if you're looking over your shoulder *that* far when changing lanes that's dangerous in itself. Sounds like you need to wind your side mirrors out a *long* way pugjet. If you can see the side of your car in your mirrors they are too far in. Mirrors too far in creates a huge blind-spot. Wind them out and you should never have to look over your shoulder again. Another strange fact about Australian licencing - why are car drivers taught to look over their shoulder, but truck drivers are told not to do so? In fact it's generally impossible... looking over your shoulder in most trucks and utes will have you looking straight at a body panel, not through glass.

The 306's C-pillar is almost as large as the Xsara's one.

I did see the article about the Prius parking system. Sounds interesting... the engineer said it can follow white lines so technically could drive the car if the road markings were perfect.

Derek

yeah, well even when the side mirrors are cocked at full stretch, i'd still do a head check, but i see your point (pardon the pun).

the visibility out of a 306 is helped largely by its massive rear window. the xsara is disadvantaged by its letter box slit rear window and tree trunk c-pillars. maybe its just me blush

anyhow, wonder if these types of technology only end up imparing drivers i.e. the general public becomes too reliant on such things.

cheers,

regs
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

i find that people who hate reverse parking are generally poor drivers.....if you can not reverse park u should not be licenced....hell...if one can not deal with parking at 5kmh speeds, we can just imagine HOW good (read bad) these people are at accident avoidance and general defensive driving...these people should stick to trains...and that includes my mother in law...she just drives around till she finds a really long space or angle park....its sad....she drives 2 minutes to get to a shop....then she parks (what feels like) five minutes away....the only people i c buying this feature are those who would like 2 show off the feature to their pensioner friends (nothing to be proud of really)....

cheers
    dino
    ps...can not stand people who can not park....bloody nuisance...

dino:
    i find that people who hate reverse parking are generally poor drivers......
    It's simply practise. Nothing else comes in to it.

If you do them all the time, then naturally you're going to be good at them.

If you live and work in an area where you never have to do them, ever, then naturally you're going to be bad at them. The exception to this is just after you get your licence, when you're still good at doing them because you've been practising them for the past 12 months in order to get your licence.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

pugjet:
    no problems... i find it pretty easy to park. the little rear window isn't really an issue cause there is no boot overhang to worry about hitting stuff.

Fellow Frogger!
    dino:
    i find that people who hate reverse parking are generally poor drivers.....
    Haha..generally agree...
    I find that people who are poor drivers also cannot reverse straight at slightly higher speeds (10km/h) for say 5 car spaces on quiet suburban roads...

Personally I think all the sensors and automation just reduces human's skills and alertness. Like people who are used to reverse sensors often reverse blindly(ie without looking back) and recklessly (as the sensors will warn them). But I often hear firsthand reports that they feel lost and helpless when they are behind the wheel of a car without the sensors. (yet they are used to reversing blind and reckless)

It is a trend into the future, makes life easier and reduces number of errors (as in most cases human error are the greatest risk). Like the new jumbo planes, they fly and land themselves,, just need to enter a destination airport... Pilots are just there to "watch over" computers...

Look on the bright side...perhaps we will get less bad drivers bumping into and scratching our beloved cars?? They should also have a sensor and mechanised door to prevent careless people dinging other cars as well....preferably fitted with an electric arm that extends out and slaps them on the face...

Try doing them in the city and around the inner city such as Newtown its a nightmare.
    ALA: smart car and c3

XTC
    rc968
    [QBI find that people who are poor drivers also cannot reverse straight at slightly higher speeds (10km/h) for say 5 car spaces on quiet suburban roads...[/QB]
    These are the same people who can't push a shopping trolley around without bumping into you, reversing into you, cutting you off, or letting their trolley ram into your car (a person did this to my 206 not long ago ... if I found out who it was I would have ripped them a new A-Hole !!)

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

UFO
    danielsydney:
    Try doing them in the city and around the inner city such as Newtown its a nightmare.
    ALA: smart car and c3
    Daniel

Easy, you just drive something larger like an XM and bluff the bastards! It's amazing where that car will fit in when I try. dance

We have a committee meeting in Enmore this Friday night and that should present a challenge finding a parking spot. Hmmmmmm
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

davemcbean:
    It's simply practise. Nothing else comes in to it.
    If you do them all the time, then naturally you're going to be good at them.
    I agree, the only car I drove while on my Ls and Ps was my dad's XF Falcon wagon, and because of its size, the easiest way to get into parkings was to reverse park. I became a gun at reverse parking, all of my friends we're really impressed at the way I could back such a huge car into a parking so easily.

But it did take practice (and backing into the side of a series 2 Jaguar XJ6 eek! eek! ) before I learnt to position the car correctly and reverse park properly.

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Pug307:

I wonder how long it will be till we have cars that drive themselves? Already we have throttle by wire, brake by wire and I'm sure steer by wire is on its way too. Imagine the day when we'll miss driving
    Yeah, i get spoilt at work with all these fancy gozmoed S class's and 7 sereis. The one thing that is lacking the FUN factor in most very modern cars.
    Its like when i used to love my simple little atari, and now we have X's-box and watever. They are more about themselves than fun or entertaiment. And don't get me stated on bloody mobiles!-chris

ps- i really miss driving. Hence im even more eager to start Go-Karting
    ... ptui!

I can reverse park but I am not very good at it. I don
    t like to do it but i find that when u have to I normally am able to rise to the challange after a few attempts

Can't reverse in a straight line for the life of me though
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

XTC
    I'll pick backing in 9/10 cases ... at work I back in each day .. that way I can pick a park with a wall so close to the passenger side that I can almost open the drivers door 100% .. means the person on the other side of me has a massive space and isn't likely to open their door on me ... I always get the same parks cause if you drive into them you can't get out the drivers side, so everyone avoids those parks ... good for me though. (makes for a quicker get away after work too

As for backing in general .. plenty of practice backing with 6x4', 8x5' and car trailers makes backing a car a sinch ...

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

CHRI'S16:
    Pug307:

Yeah, i get spoilt at work with all these fancy gozmoed S class's and 7 sereis. The one thing that is lacking the FUN factor in most very modern cars.
    Just by the way, one of the current Citroen "concept" cars already has "steer by wire".

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

As usual it was done first in a Citroen

<a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2001/05/26/emfutu26.xml" target="_blank">TRRL Fly by wire DS</a>

dance dance dance

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    As for backing in general .. plenty of practice backing with 6x4', 8x5' and car trailers makes backing a car a sinch ...
    Really??? You can back a 6x4 question Gimme a car trailer or 8' x 6' or caravan anyday and I'll back it anywhere for you. Gimme a bloody 6'x4' and you hear me explode at the bloody thing before getting out unhitching the [email protected][email protected] of a thing and pushing it where I want it ... How can you back something you can't bloody see (or should I say you can only see it when it's to late ie: the mongrel thing already turned to far to 'catch' mallet ).

Maybe I should put a couple of bike flags or something on the back corners of the trialer so I can see it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

XTC
    DoubleChevron:
    Really??? You can back a 6x4 question
    Maybe I should put a couple of bike flags or something on the back corners of the trialer so I can see it seeya, Shane L.
    Yes the 6x4's (especially the short draw ones) are a total b!tch to park, but if you take a hint from your own advise (the flag thing ...) you'll be surprised how much easier it is.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information