How rich are some people?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How rich are some people?

This is a serious question now. On the FCD in Sydney it was interesting to note as I sat happily next to my little french car how many people came to that day and then dropped off one car and then left to get another.
    This poses the question how many cars to people really own and drive?
    It must cost people a fortune to keep and service,maintain,register them. In the CCCNSW I havenoticed a few people have many cars how is this possible or am I still too young to understand?
    I am also single so have no double income i guess. Any ideas? Im just interested to know how people do it..
    "no personal finance discloes please"...

Advertisement

rek
    I've sometimes wondered about this when people own 2, 3, 4 or more cars. All that rego, insurance, maintenance etc. must all really add up.

I think it's just as much a question of how much of a percentage of their disposable income people are willing to dedicate to their cars, as it is about wealth. Like many other things, what some people regard as tool, some see as a hobby, or even as a way of life
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Get cheaper cars daniel....... wink

All maintenance is done at home besides big impossible work. whistle

And yes the bl00dy things are expensive to run.....for a full time uni student living away from home at least......(hhhmmmmm.... food for the week or parts for the car????......screw it the car wins) mallet

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

some people regard as tool, some see as a hobby, or even as a way of life
    But they are my life..... blush roll_lau
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

They're consistant and always there for me, they don't answer back and love my company. Better than the women in my life...

Err some people have disposable income and peculiar interests.

Owning a whole heaps of frog cars could be cheaper than owning a new Holden Caprice, and who would question that?

Well my partner and I own 3 cars, all registered, a trailer (1/2 share) and a kart.

They are my babies as well as our 2 dogs. wink

Thats all quite understandable but people must be loaded. I do concede if that you dont own a landcruiser that costs $350.00 p/week to run you could own heaps of cars but the FCD was too much. I can only afford one car am I alone?

Fellow Frogger!
    well you could look at it like this..

There are a lot of countries than only 5% of the population have cars.
    The rest walk!!!

I am glad i don't have to walk
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

Daniel,

I wouldn't worry about it so much. I think one car is more than sufficient.

When people own 20 DS's or whatever, it boils down to selfishness and greed.

People often wonder why there are so few club people (especially in Queensland) and I guess you could say that when so many people have so many cars, there's no room for other members to own and appreciate them as well. What is even more saddening is that they keep on buying these cars and the ones they already have never get restored. disappro

Be happy with what you have, I guess. I am trying to sell two cars as so I can concentrate on one as a restoration project and one as a day-to-day car- I think that's being realistic. spanner 2_cents

-Donat
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Daniel,

I'm probably one of these people. I wonder how you can afford a new car with all the ridiculous $$$$ that always seem to be spent of matainence as well as repayments. lets see, what do I have around the yard.

1 '78 CX 2400 pallas 5spd. this was my first Citroen, I forget how much it cost (not much, I bought it from my mother), I've used the car for 11years, and it's rego recently run out. It's quite tidy.

1 '79 CX C-matic. This would be one of the better C-matics left out here, it'll owe me about $800 by the time it's ready to be registered (including re-painting it, petrol, permits etc).

1 '78 GS1220 pallas. One tidy little car that needs a new bonnet since it went over the windscreen. I paid $250 for it, regassed the spheres, painted it etc... I used it for about 1year, but Ang got an asthma attack whenever we went anywhere in it. Needs bonnet for RWC & Rego.

1 '85 CX2500 GTi Turbo, the most expensive car I've ever owned, I'll be paying this off for another 2 years. It's 1 of 2 fully registered cars I have.

1 '63 ID19. I paid $500 for this car, and it probably owes me about $3000 all up. It costs about $90 a year to register on club rego.

1 BX19tri, I bought this as the 'modern' car for Ang, it's kinda bland and boring, but it is reliable. It was the most expensive car I'd ever bought (at $3500).

1 DS21 injected 5spd pallas. This car is a restoration project that I paid $500 for (and come with a 2nd Dspecial parts car). It'll owe me about $4500 by the time it's finished, but will have new paint and fresh leather interior.

Yes upkeep on cars is very much a drain, but nothing like attempting to keep 'em all registered. That's why I only have 2cars registered (1 for Ang and one for me), and the club rego car. What I really need to do is have them all painted the same colour and just have one registered set of number plates roll_lau roll_lau

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Donat I agree with your sentiments entirley. I am happy just flabergasted thats all.
    If a couple has 2 cars between them thats fine i guess.
    Keep up the resto work.. wink

Tadpole
    Luca:
    They're consistant and always there for me, they don't answer back and love my company. Better than the women in my life...
    are we talking french cars here? Mine are consistantly inconsistant, and always answer back...

I suppose it's got a lot to do with your lifestyle really.
    I live in a regional area, have 3 sons, two of which are still rated as students; one doing year 12 & one at Uni, I don't smoke (used to) I brew a bit of moonshine so I don't have a big grog bill, I don't go chasing women, one's enough, mallet almost vegetarian and don't take any form of drugs; prescription included, and I enjoy playing around with mechanical things.
    I'm tied to the property due to the lifestyle I choose to live so don't spend heaps on dining out & entertaining & my physical condition limits the amount of tearing round the countryside anyway, so I keep my mind & body active by playing around my cars & talking about them.
    I don't consider myself rich but more accurately "comfortable."

Alan S a_drink citroen_
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

UFO
    Daniel

1/Always wanted a Citroen (at least one)
    2/I have a good paying job and so does Deb
    3/No kids, one dog, one cat and four goldfish
    4/Three cars - one will go on classic reg next year so will save about $600/year
    5/Drink little, no drugs/smoke
    6/LOTS cheaper and far more fun than the 20 years of amateur theatre that I did
    7/You meet the most interesting and genuine people from all over the world - and Sydney!

Hell, WHY NOT?!

You are young, you will earn money and your interests may increase or change. Don't panic yet! Spend your money on going out and having a good time while you can still go to clubs etc and not be regarded as an old fart!

dance a_drink citroen_
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks craig. Im not saying people shouldnt have more than one car I dont know how they do it thats all.
    All the above answers are pretty cool i guess... 2_cents

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    and hence over the years i have had 21 pugs, 1 holden and 1 celica
    at one time i had 9 pugs
    still waiting to find out from a bloke where he knows where there are some 403 utes and wagons on a farm
    when i find out more about where and what the bloke is doing with them i could have another car or two here
    i know where i can get a fairly good 404 wagon but i'm not a big lover of 404's otherwise i could very well have that one here
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Just remember, there's one big cost that you really are hit with with a new car, unlike second hand cars - DEPRECIATION.

Depreciation is the expense that everyone forgets about, and it's bigger than fuel, servicing, etc. You take money out of your wallet to pay for fuel, but depreciation is money that is never going to come back to your wallet come selling time. Just because you're not constantly going to the "depreciation shop" to pay your depreciation every year, doesn't mean it's an expense. It's just the big one that everyone forgets about.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I buy cars, generally, that can't depreciate. Anyway, I tend to never sell them once I have them.

Four registered at the moment, about to be five, but I do a pile of business miles a year, and there's a 55c or so deduction for each of the first 5000kms each of them do for business.

That pays the rego, I expect... and it means there's always a car there when needed. Two stepsons about to be licenced, another who needs to borrow a car from time to time...

you're all car junkies!!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    you're all car junkies!!!
    I Deny that strenuously !!

I'm happy with what I've got now. Ok, ok, maybe when I have a nice early DS19 (parked in a huge shed in my backyard) I'll be happy. Oh yeah, I've also got a taste for 2cv's, so I really should have one of them there too. And a traction of course, who could have a Cit or two and not have a traction roll_lau roll_lau

That'll do, I'm not gready mallet mallet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I must confess I am a car Junkie.

I am only 21 years old an already I have personally owned two 1965 VW Beatles, a '93 Mazda 121, a 1956 Porsche 356, a Honda 200xr motorbike and of course my Pug' 206. I owned the 2 VW's and my pug at once and all were registered, it wasn't much of a hassle. I had a passion, my fulltime job and lifestyle at the time was able to pay for that passion and when you sell the VW's for a profit, it makes it worthwhile wink

My dad also owns a 1965 Mustang, a 1973 Porsche 911 RS, a seond hand BMW Z3, a 1988 BMW 318i, a 1953 Willies Army Jeep (with a v8), a 1974 Holden Kingswood and a Nissan Pintara. And that is just what we own at this moment.

We have owned old merc's, pug 205's, a london taxi, a Citroen and many many old porsches.
    -
    ANYWAY! If you have a passion then why not persue it, you don't need to be rich to own several cars, you just have to buy and sell wink fix and restore wink

If I buy a new car, I make sure it will maintain it's value. I bought my 206 over 3 years ago now and it is in great nic' and is worth almost as much as what I bought it for, a dealer trade (at the right dealer) may only see my car depreciate by $1,500.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Someone's in denyal... Shane come to support group this weekend and we'll talk it through.

1000+ Posts
    n b j:
    If I buy a new car, I make sure it will maintain it's value. I bought my 206 over 3 years ago now and it is in great nic' and is worth almost as much as what I bought it for, a dealer trade (at the right dealer) may only see my car depreciate by $1,500.
    n b j,

Are you sure about that? I looked at a few 99 and 2000 206's when I was looking for my current 306 XSi. I remember figures from around $16 000 to $21 000 for a mint condition example with alloys. For the same money I bought the 306 much more fun

Looking in today's paper, I'd say it's about the same now. I'm just a bit unsure that a dealer would give you $22 000 for your car (they're about $23 or $24k new?)

Derek

Derek:

My car cost me $20,000 brand new. I was nice to the dealer and he threw in 5 GTi Mags and the metalic silver paint job for free.

Acording to used car mags a '99 1.6 206XR 5 door is worth $17,500 - $19,500

If I pick the right dealer I could trade it for around $18,000 - $19,500. My car is in good condition and the alloys and metalic paint job are a decent selling point as well as very detailed and regular service logs, one owner, etc.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information