ARE FRENCH CAR OWNERS PARANOID?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

ARE FRENCH CAR OWNERS PARANOID?

Forgive me if I am sounding "naive" but is there a reason why many fellow froggers go to great lengths to erase the number plates off peoples cars in many of the photos on the site? It just seems weird to me thats all, I have surfed the net for years looking at many sites and never seen this done quite so often, am I missing something? mallet Should I be erasing the plates of the many photos I have taken from French Car events world wide?? wink cheers! Please...someone enlighten me!

Advertisement
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Its so the alien can't recognise us by the car we drive.............I also reccomend a collinder to stop the mind reading laser's..... blush a_drink whip

*no more beer for Jono*
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

I have never understood it either..

1000+ Posts
    I don't understand it and I never bother with wiping them.

My reasoning is more people see number plates when we're driving around than would *ever* see them online.

Derek

Derek here here i agree.... cheers!

I asked the same question a few years ago on a UK forum and was given an answer which sounded feasible particularly given the 'take your eyes off it for a minute & somebody will pinch it' mentality they seem to have to live with over there. A year or so ago, I posted a link to a board where a similar thing had happened.
    Overseas, it seems that the crims haunt all the boards and on occasions even go out of their way to get friendly with some posters to get to know them well enough that stealing their cars is made much simpler.
    They start off by seeing a pic (number plates attached) then strike up a few topics online which may even get off line, then discover they're into a certain interest, ask where they are going at the weekend in general terms & then simply do a prowl around that area until they find it & nick it. Anyone with access to RTA or Police records can also see something they "like" and do a search, hence if a pro thief wants to fill an "order" he can get one tailor made.
    It's possibly not such a hassle for us with the older collectables unless it's someone looking for a 16V motor for a 205 conversion and even then, I think the French car community is close enough nit & small enough in numbers to make even something like that a risky prospect. However, someone with say an I.C.E. worth mega bucks showing a complete shot including plates and going into great detail on what they have fitted to it could be a target for this kind of action.
    After watching a guy at the tyre place trying to figure out how to work a c-matic (manual & no clutch) my worries about someone trying to steal one went right out the window, but a 307, 406, C5, Megane,C3 etc could be a different story as could be the prospect of some joy rider looking for a 205Mi16 conversion.
    Apparently it has also been used by housebreakers; get a number, do a trace to see where you live, sus the place out then keep an eye open for the car, say in another town & hit the house & strip it out.
    So based on overseas experience, I feel there is a risk factor possibly more prevalent over there than here, but one that can be reduced if the plates weren't shown in the first place.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

That all sounds like the story in our latest (free to all households...) Neighbourhood Watch newsletter...

New lady in charge got home from somewhere, found a black BMW in the driveway... the second ... of their home.

First reaction? Ask the neighbours whose it was... but they weren't home, so left a note to get them to call the police if they didn't know who owned it. Then she called the police herself. Then, before she was due to go out for a while, she found another neighbour had come home, who also (on her prompting) called the police. Two calls to the police so far, and they insisted there were no reports of such a car being stolen.

Finally, she rang her husband to tell him she was going out... he said, "Oh, by the way, I gave Fred a lift to work and he left his car in our second drive..."

Moral of the story?

Assume the best in the first place, only go crazy if there's no possible explanation.

This story does conclude with neighbours all having a good laugh. Clearly, the lady involved couldn't see her stupidity, though she was embarrassed, or it wouldn't have been in the newsletter. It also says she says it "could of been stolen"...

Some people!

I would have thought the reason is pretty easy to work out.

Some people simply do not want their car associated to some groups or activities, namely circuit racing and drag racing.

Most people that I know take their number plate off when at the track, to avoid problems down the track with warranties and insurance. Some even go as far as taping over the VIN on the windscreen.

I don't understand, however, wanting to blank the numberplates after a public showing of your vehicle (FCD etc).

So your telling me that if I post a picture of my car on the net with the number plate visible, someone might take it? COOL..... who do I see....I can even leave instructions in it on how to use the C-matic gearbox if necessary..... Please take it, I could use the insurance payout...

Banned
    Reminds me of the stupidity of "Baby on board" notices on car windows.I would love someone to explain the rationale behind the signs so I can laugh at them.

I would love to see someone try to hotwire a CX- they would have to be out of their mind!

But I have heard of GS's being stolen, but for joyrides.. who could blame them? They're a pleasure to drive cheers!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Peabody: I know the story, but don't want you laughing at me....
    They wouldn't even have to hot wire my CX, I'd "leave" the keys in a convenient spot......

i think some ppl just dont want their numberplate shown if they want to post pics of the inside of there car...eg expensive stereo system...and then if someone sees that on the internet...then sees the pictures of your valubles in the car, u may be in for a theft on ur hands
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    MR206:
    i think some ppl just dont want their numberplate shown if they want to post pics of the inside of there car...eg expensive stereo system...and then if someone sees that on the internet...then sees the pictures of your valubles in the car, u may be in for a theft on ur hands
    no worse than ricers driving around with momo pioneer and all the other stickers they can stuck on their car to advertise what's in the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

peabody:
    Reminds me of the stupidity of "Baby on board" notices on car windows.I would love someone to explain the rationale behind the signs so I can laugh at them.
    Don't you know?

It's an advertisement for their potency! There could be no other reason.

They are just so proud that they can make babies. Notice that they even leave it there when the baby's not on board?

Although I have heard it's a caution, a warning not to crash into them because you might hurt their precious cargo.

I have to wonder how many people are out there just waiting to find a car to crash into, though!

Don't we all try to avoid crashing all the time?

The only thing i'm paranoid about is parking next to some shitter in the car park who's owner will bang his door into my quarter panel...

The only thing i'm paranoid about is parking next to some shitter in the car park who's owner will bang his door into my quarter panel
    Saw a lady do this to my car, while at the shops last time..... She even saw me look at the dent!!(she stayed parked next to me) Didn't apologise just had a "you have a crap car anyway look" on her face. And told me to get lost

Little did she realise that there is enough dents and chips on my paint work that I just don't care anymore........ mallet "whack"

Gotta love heavy old doors vs Ford Lasers.....hehehe hows your nice new car paint job now.......

Jono evil

<small>[ 18 July 2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: crosspug ]</small>
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

MR206:
    A friend of mine has a doof doof system in his car, think it was worth a couple of Grand$ and he just had some dude follow him home one night (about 3 years ago), saw where he lived and then later that night broke into his car and stole it all, AMPs, Sub's, Head unit, etc.

So I know what you mean about see auto saloon cars on the net or whatever, but I guess if they see you driving around and like the look of your system, they may do anything to get it.

<small>[ 18 July 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: n b j ]</small>
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Ray Bell:
    It's an advertisement for their potency! There could be no other reason.

They are just so proud that they can make babies. Notice that they even leave it there when the baby's not on board?

Although I have heard it's a caution, a warning not to crash into them because you might hurt their precious cargo.

I have to wonder how many people are out there just waiting to find a car to crash into, though!

Don't we all try to avoid crashing all the time?
    I always thought that it was so you'd know that the vehicle was being driven by someone who'd had two hours sleep a night for the last twenlve months, was wearing earmuffs to prevent any sound reaching her or his ears, was liable to do an impromptu 360 degree turn while trying to pick up the dropped bottle from underneath the drivers seat while playing peeka boo in the rear vision mirror etc etc.

Thought it was a sort of "early warning, stay away" public safety message!

Cheers

Rod wink
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Never looked at it that way before... but it doesn't make sense anyway.

These people are too stupid to give anyone any early warnings.

Nobody would bother takiing my car, it looks like a fugitive from the wrecking yard. Even if they did, most people can't figure out the gearchange and stall it the first few times. If they got past all that, then the gearbox growling and jumping out of second, the fierce diff backlash, and the oil llight coming on at idle would mean they would probably walk away after a few hundred yards
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I dont know whats the mystery about blanking number plates. Isnt it common sense to blank your rego plates in a forum with free access where you would probably reveal info about your car including valuable features or illegalities. Summing up:

macquered:
    I would have thought the reason is pretty easy to work out.

Some people simply do not want their car associated to some groups or activities, namely circuit racing and drag racing.

Most people that I know take their number plate off when at the track, to avoid problems down the track with warranties and insurance. Some even go as far as taping over the VIN on the windscreen.

I don't understand, however, wanting to blank the numberplates after a public showing of your vehicle (FCD etc).

.....or could it be a discreet way of saying:

"Beware! driver suffereing from post natal depression and is liable to punch your lights out & rip yer bloody arms off if you upset her!" eek!

Just a thought mallet mallet roll_lau

Alan S dance mallet
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Ray Bell:
    Never looked at it that way before... but it doesn't make sense anyway.

These people are too stupid to give anyone any early warnings.
    No Ray, its just that they are silly enough to have been talked into providing early warnings without even being aware of it! Its amazing what you can get people to do if you stroke their egos the right way!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I couldn't care about blanking them out.

My cars are insured so if someone steals it so be it. I'm not going to take the race seat etc out of the car because someone might see it while I'm driving around.

Darren

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information