Daytime Running Lights?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Daytime Running Lights?

Looks like the NRMA is calling for daytime running lights to be introduced?

<a href="http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2003/07/16/FFX7GQ986ID.html" target="_blank">NRMA says "Lights out? Never!"</a>

Advertisement

What do you think about the issue? Personally I have no problem with them, aside from globes lasting not quite as long. You don't have problems with glare, etc. Cars already have lights. Basically, it can't really hurt to use them.

The main plus point I can see is that at least when it's rainy or dim, people will have their lights on - too many clueless people seem to drive when it's so dim without lights, because it's too early to turn the lights on. It really is a lot easier to spot cars in dim rainy conditions, especially when popular colours such as silver don't standout in these conditions.

On drives through the forest, etc, I find it much better when people around you have their lights on - it just improves your situational awareness.

Anyway we make motorbikes use their lights already.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

It should have been standard years ago. Quite often I'll instinctively drive with my lights on, especially during the commute to work where I drive through a number of tunnels on the Eastern Distributor.

DRL's were enabled on my old Saab 900, and I think they are enabled on Telstra fleet Commodores.

The safety stats are interesting......why havn't they been made law as part of the "speed kills" campaign?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    DEFINATLY NOT !!! That mean every dimwitt moron will drive with the fog lights on 24hours a day. There's enough glare out there on a bright day without requiring people to have headlights on. Could you imagine a sunny day with the sun reflecting off of everyone in traffic, and everyone having there miss-alligned headlights on (particualy 4wds that have there lights at eye height). Maybe NRMA are budgeting on all the call outs they'll get due to people forgetting to turn there lights off and flattening there battery.

Sounds totaly bloody stupid to me, so dumb I'm sure the government will try to enforce it. I can already see them trying to fine every poor [email protected][email protected] that refuses to turn 'em on when sunny.

If the lights low, use your common sense and turn your low beam on, but for crying out loud, leave the foggies OFF unless it's foggie (I wonder if all the dickheads out there in new crummydores are reading this?).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

It depends on the lights, and how well they are aimed, Justin.

This pops up every few years. Victoria trialled it many, many years ago (late 60's? early 70's).

I always thought there was sense in the Volvo daytime running lights (around 20 watt globes from memory). At this sort of level they aren't distracting or glary.

Even in daytime, though, higher wattage lights if they are poorly designed (as many non Euro lights seem to be, with far less definite "cut-off) or poorly adjusted can cause problems. People tend to instinctively "fixate" on light sources, and this can add to the glare further, as well as reducing general peripheral vision etc.

If it wasn't for the plethora of cars with badly adjusted "fog" lights doing the rounds at present too I'd be more in favour.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I think the idea of the volvo system is great. I may be biased, but I see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be on all cars. Why people would drive with their foglights on is beyond me?! With my car, the lights switched off gives the DRLs, full beam is full beam, etc. and at any time, lights on or off, I can run my foggies. I can't see why people would use their foglights for DRLs if they were using a proper system in cars.

Chandler

If you cant see a car without your/its lights on during the day, you shouldnt be on the road in the first place

Isnt that common sense?

It is easier to see a car with lights on. It just something slightly different to get your attention. However, if everyone has them on, then nothing is different, so you will have an improvement in safety in the short term which will even out in the long term.

Studies in Canada and various states of the US have shown a drop in crashes since brining in compulsory lights.

Yes, people who are smart turn their lights on. But most people aren't.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

nJm
    I think it is a good idea. It would be nice around dusk and on grey/rainy days. I have a pet hate for silver coloured cars not running their lights on a overcast day. It can be quite hard to see them at times. We had two tel$tra commodores here and it was kinda handy as you never needed to worry about turning your lights on or off. Only thing was the dash backlights started to burn out after 8 months or so (but that might be more to do with holden quality control).

I often have my lights on early in the morning and late in the afternoon as I am aware that my silver car does blend into the road a little. That, and I think the 505's lights look kinda cool

Oh, on fog lights, I was stuck behind 4 cars on the freeway tonight with their rear fogs on. An Impreza, 2 bmws, an audi and a volvo. Really annoying! Most cars' front fogs are fine, I only take issue with the Commodore SS ones.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

The two problems I foresee are these:

People will think, "Oh, lights on is safe, I'll put mine on high beam and be doubly safe!"

The glare is tremendous at times, and this type never seem to have a clue.

Second problem is that it takes away the need to think. I know it's hard, but people should be trained to think.

How often are you driving in fog and suddenly see a car appear out of the murk where cars with headlights have been visible for ages?

Did you happen to notice that the car that appeared so late had its parkers on? Yep, that's right, you see the car before you see the parkers every time.

This is something that people should know... but they aren't encouraged to know anything.

Same as people with cars with the parkers in the headlights think their headlights on but it's just dim. They don't realise that the globe's blown because there's a light on in there.

If it were being used on Motor bikes I can understand it but can you imagine the wannabes in the wank tanks? We'd have headlights, spotlights, foglights, lasers everything they could find blazing in your rear vision mirrors. It would be just another tool (no pun intended) in their arsenal of methods of intimidation.
    I know it has been proven to be a positive with motorbikes as it increases their visibility and makes it easier to gauge their speed of approach. This would be negated if we had all these "boy enforcers" running around with everything blazing, just like the big boys on tha race tracks does. roll_lau cry
    I know Volvos tend to do it a fair bit but then again, when you're in the right hand lane doing 40 KPH in a 110 zone snail with the white towelling hat on, dice hanging off the rear vision mirror & noddy dog on the back shelf, you need something to make you stand out....hazard lights perhaps? roll_lau

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I can see this is going to be another long message.
    I think someone else was right when they said its just a way the NRMA will make cash from flat batteries... 2_cents tongue

UFO
    I know, brilliant idea warning!!!

How about every car must have a person holding a red flag walk in front!? Pure bludy genius that! dance tongue

Seriously though, I am pretty fed up with fog lights (front and rear) being used at inappropriate times, but this is just as dangerous as the ******s who only turn on parking lights on dusk because they think they are saving fuel not running proper headlights.

I can summarise in two oft repeated words here

driver education

Simple eh? evil
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

"must stop replying must watch state of origin we are losing" whistle

UFO
    Ah see, that's where I win, because I don't give a toss about the stadeorvorryjin. mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

XTC
    danielsydney:
    Can't you watch TV on your PC? In anycase they can't hear you wink

- XTC206 -

re: running lights ... if used appropriately they are a good idea .. many european countries have that rule (they also get weather that isn't that good more times a year).
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

the game was an appalling result anyway. 2_cents

1000+ Posts
    nJm:
    I think it is a good idea. It would be nice around dusk and on grey/rainy days. I have a pet hate for silver coloured cars not running their lights on a overcast day. It can be quite hard to see them at times.
    I like the combination of silver cars with alloys, but I won't buy one because of that exact problem. My wife's car is dark blue metallic, and I've trained her to switch the lights on in any sort of dull weather. And she does! She listened! A first! eek!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Must agree re: silver cars, sometimes driving the XM around I feel like I'm invisable, not only at dawn and dusk either. Cars will turn across or pull out of side streets like I wasn't there...*and of course I am, I look down and sure enough I'm just where I left me blush *

Might try the low beam and see how I go...

Of course the C5 has the 'auto lights on' function wink

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

"ah c5 very nice"

And when it comes to the misuse of lights, how could we go without mentioning those dills who put on their hazard lights because they're (safely) parked?

danielsydney:
    What's "State of Origin"? evil

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod Hagen:
    A disease... an absolute disease... no work gets done, everyone talks about nothing else. Everyone except me, that is.

Something like the Melbourne Cup.

Rod Hagen:
    danielsydney:

Cheers

Rod
    ...........and what's the weather like on Mars this morning?? mallet mallet

Alan S cheers! whip
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

UFO
    danielsydney:
    the game was an appalling result anyway. 2_cents
    Ah but see "the system" worked. Qld beat NSW by some huge amount so it gives Qlders something to hope and talk about for the next few months and then next year pre SOO, we will get (in deep voiced announcer mode) "And now it's time for the Cane Toads to have their REVENGE!!!"

The whole league thing now must be rigged. It's too easy to even predict what is going to happen and there is WAY too much money involved for it to be "left to chance"

Anyway, I couldn't give a rats who won lost or played tiddlywinks, I just think it stinks that Rupert and friedns screwed it up for the people who still had some faith in the sport.

tongue
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

sjl
    DoubleChevron
    [QB]for crying out loud, leave the foggies OFF unless it's foggie QB]
    I may be exposing myself for open slaughter here by saying this but I quite often drive with my fog lights on (at night though, not during the day).

I had a SSS pulsar which had a total of 4 driving lights (1 set high beam, 1 set fog)and they were very bright and were set up at an angle that could blind other motorists, so I hardly used them. The normal lights were very good and did the job very well. However now in my GTi6 i find that just the standard lights are really not good enough so use my fog lights. Personally I don't think they are bright enough and positioned in a way that might affect oncoming traffic or people ahead.

Oh and another thing, if the sun is glaring off cars then I really can't see people having their lights on making any difference whatsoever. If someone has their high beams on during the day, don't stare straight at them and you won't have a problem. It's not that difficult! 2_cents

<small>[ 17 July 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: sjl ]</small>
    "How do you like them apples?"
    306 Gti6

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information