Locations of fixed speed cameras around Melbourne
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Locations of fixed speed cameras around Melbourne

An interesting email I received the other day. Keeps those GTi's under control.

Locations of fixed and elapsed time speed cameras around Melbourne.

Most important are the speed and red light combination camera types that are very active -

* Cnr Orrong and Dandenong Rd Caulfield
    * Alexandra Pde
    * Smith St Fitzroy, just before the Eastern Freeway
    * Stud Rd And Wellington Rd cnr. Rowville.
    * Swan St Bridge and Alexandra Ave opps Myer Music Bowl

New permanent speed cameras in Melbourne -

* Monash Freeway, 600m before entering the tunnel heading towards
    the city. It's hidden behind an overhead road sign.(80kph). Even though
    this one is openly publicised by the media and the state government, it
    continues to catch over 700 drivers per day!

Westgate Freeway - Princes Highway.

Advertisement

* On the top of the Westgate Bridge.
    * Hoppers Crossing overpass
    * At the first Werribee exit.
    * At the Little River exit.
    * Point Cook overpass.
    * Point Wilson overpass.
    * At Corio Just before you arrive at the Waterslide in Geelong.
    (Norlane)

Note: These are elapsed time trigger cameras, they estimate your
    average driving speed between checkpoints. So slowing down before
    each overpass will not fool them. All these cameras are positioned in both the inbound and outbound lanes and tricky to see.

Western Ring Road.

* Boundary Road - Laverton North.
    * Western Highway - Ardeer.
    * Calder Freeway - Keilor East
    * Tullamarine Freeway - Tullamarine.
    * Pascoe Vale Road - Glenroy.
    * Widford Street - Glenroy
    * High Street - Thomastown.

If you did 10kph over the speed limit all the way from Melbourne

to Geelong, you can expect up to $125 fine on each one and the loss

of 1 demerit point.
    Each camera is able to book cars doing even 5k's over the limit.

COMING SOON !!!
    * Eastern Freeway - 5 more cameras.
    * Monash - 5 more.
    * Calder Freeway - 9 more cameras, from Keilor to Kyneton.
    * Hume Highway to Albury - 11 cameras.

Other Highways on the proposed list are as follows -

* Western Highway - Ardeer to Ballarat.
    * South Gippsland Highway - Dandenong to Phillip Island.
    * Goulburn Valley Highway - Seymour to Shepparton.
    * Princes Highway - Pakenham to Traralgon.

Also being considered are Mount Alexander Road, Nepean Highway,
    Dandenong Road, Burwood Highway, Sydney Road, Springvale Road and
    Ferntree Gully Road.

Shit & with all the revenue raised they'll still have the bloody GALL to collect TAXES
    whip head_ban moon whip
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Note: These are elapsed time trigger cameras, they estimate your
    average driving speed between checkpoints. So slowing down before
    each overpass will not fool them. All these cameras are positioned in both the inbound and outbound lanes and tricky to see.
    WHAT THE????

I have never heard of this, glad we don't have these in NSW!! I mean I havn't seen or heard of any. I hope we never get them up here! That really is very low!!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

No!! Not the Eastern Freeway!! eek! cry

I love driving along the Eastern with its "wide feel" and abundance of room. I've often found myself on the inside lane enjoying the cruise and then looking at my speedo to find out that I've crept up to 110 km/h. whistle

100 km/hr really does feel slow along certain parts of the Eastern at certain times. My favourite freeway is now going to be ruined. cry Ruined!

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Time lapse are good, you just exit the freeway and come back on going around them. Or you just exit before they can take a second photo and work out the time. Cops dont patrol the freeway much because of the cams and its easy to speed. So you can get from Westgate bridge to Western highway balart rd in about 5min if you like
    1995 306 XR

mistareno do not read.
    nbj Hate to tell ya this, but time lapse cameras have been in use on the Hume Highway checking trucks for quite a few years now, only an upgrade in computer crunch power, is needed to cover cars as well.
    I quess the days or nights of driving the Newell Hwy,Tenterfield to Deniliquin at 150-160kph with trucks indicating all clear to pass have all but gone now. Some years ago now about 3, i did Beenleigh via Ipswich to Melb only stopping for fuel & eating on the road in 22 1/2 hrs the missus had 3, 2 hr stints at the wheel through daylight, useless at night lol. Such a nice drive too, missus asleep so no naggin, Cunninghams Gap i really enjoyed, an extra 400w of lighting, made vision easy, I love night driving you know when there's something coming at you in the hills.

dance mallet whistle
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Speed camera on Manningham Macedon Rd T intersection that's new... looks like a red light camera but it aint.

I live in Rowville near the intersection of stud and wellington rd where Bracks and co. have decided to get smart and use one of those speed+red Light cameras. This i belive has caused more incidents than ever before as people when approaching the intersection at 70-80kph near the point of the lights turning to amber are in two minds as to whether increase there speed to beat the redlight camera (and get caught) or slam the brakes and try to come from 70kph to 0 within 10 meteres, resulting in locking wheels and numerous rear end accidents, which has lead the intersection to be littered with broken tail lights and bits of bumper bars.

During peak times when this road is packed with cars and trucks, people can find themselves unintentionally caught in the middle or near the end of the intersection once the light has turned red, resulting in a nice fat fine. This is especially unfair for people stuck behind trucks and truckies themselves who cant exatcly go from a standstill to a quick enough speed to beat the red light.

At night the speed camera flashes more than a group of Japanese tourists, but the funny thing is i doesnt look like they are going over the 80kph speed limit.

A taxi driver recently told me that these cameras were still being tested due to the many mistakes and inaccuracy of the cameras, on a regular basis these lights are being fixed or maintained by bracks secret road police, quite amusing to see these guys cop an earful from motorists. head_ban head_ban dance

That emails been about for over a year now! A lot of the locations have not cameras on them as yet.

If you wanna see what the new red light speed camera look like go to the Poltech web site.

Tadpole
    I have had a look at the web site…

<a href="http://www.poltech.com.au" target="_blank">www.poltech.com.au</a>

It says:

Centaur - Digital Red Light Camera System

Centaur RLC system utilises the latest in colour digital image capture camera technology for enforcement of red light violations. Camera features include the automatic recording of progressive color digital images providing conclusive evidence of the infringement including the red light time and other details necessary for prosecution.

As an option, real-time monitoring of the intersection through the RLC system can be provided. This would be beneficial for security and public safety considerations, as in the case of identifying traffic accidents or congestion.

A further benefit of the Centaur Red Light Camera System is that by utilsing POLTECH’s Condor configuration it can be used for both speed and red light offence detection applications or a combination of both simultaneously.

How “Big Brother” is this camera? “Real-time monitoring” with a red light and a speed camera all rolled up into a nice little revenue raising package for Mr Bracks. And I agree with “purry-geot” as drivers would panic at the last moment and break hard!

It is just going to go on and on. I also ride motorcycles and there are suggestions of “E-Tag” type GPS speed monitor for bikes. So 24/7 when you are riding your speed is monitored.

Nice…

Really make you realise just how much of a business the government and the cops make speed cameras.

Als

anyone heard of that spray which is LEGAL and causes a reflection preventing drivers plates being photographed.

hmmm might be a smart investement.

What about radar or speed camera detectors, are these legal?

Tadpole
    purrr-geot:
    anyone heard of that spray which is LEGAL and causes a reflection preventing drivers plates being photographed.

Yes there are, shame really as there are some amazing ones you can get in America. My friend had one he bought in the US and was happily driving along on day with it on and the Police pulled him over and searched his car for it. Apparently Traffic Patrol cars has a “speed camera detector, detector”.

i have i beleive its called hair spray
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Banned
    You will find that any "obscuring" of a number plate is illegal, no matter how "legal" the spray is. Similarly anything that "detects" will be specifically legislated against.

silverexec:
    No!! Not the Eastern Freeway!! eek! cry

I love driving along the Eastern with its "wide feel" and abundance of room. I've often found myself on the inside lane enjoying the cruise and then looking at my speedo to find out that I've crept up to 110 km/h. whistle

100 km/hr really does feel slow along certain parts of the Eastern at certain times. My favourite freeway is now going to be ruined. cry Ruined!

Richard
    Yeah, I travel along the Eastern fairly often too....

I must be unlucky or something, every second time i travel the length of it (outside peak hours), there'll be a group of 2-4 P-Platers (the cars packed with people) "racing" along, weaving in and out of traffic reaching speeds way over 150kph...using service lanes, driving between cars, people hanging out windows, anything goes...driving their cars like they are stolen........just insane stuff

and maybe a third of those times, they'll be pulled over near the end by police.......probably not likely to see their licences again for a long time

While I think the speed camera situation is waaay out of hand, I think "races" won't be anything like as frequent when people know they will be caught....

and as for the cameras...how about setting them to 110 or 115kph, let us get around the wandering drunk/clueless people cruising between 80-90-105kph, safely and efficently....

Besides, shouldn't you be more worried about the tolls they are going to place on the extended eastern (like the cameras aren't enough, Bracks you fool), moreso than the cameras

Hair spray doesn't work two-oh.. my mates on bikes have tried it with no luck.

A Portable depth sounder mounted somewhere in your egine bay does the trick!

Ok, those of you who are keen fisherman or boaties would know what a depth sounder is, it sends out a pulse and will pickup any fish or rocks or anything under the water.

These emit a much more power signal then the police radars and when driving near a police radar with the depth sounder turned on, it will JAM the radar and in somecases destroy the radar completely. However make sure you only use it in heavy traffic, because if you are all alone on the road and the radar jams as you speed past, the cop will think WHAT THE?? and you may be in the sh#t wink
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

AlsPug504:
    Really make you realise just how much of a business the government and the cops make speed cameras.
    Careful... I've been almost run out of town at times for suggesting things like that over the years.

rhys:
    purrr-geot:

Yes there are, shame really as there are some amazing ones you can get in America. My friend had one he bought in the US and was happily driving along on day with it on and the Police pulled him over and searched his car for it. Apparently Traffic Patrol cars has a “speed camera detector, detector”.
    Radar Laser detectors won't do you much good! The New red light and speed cameras together with the speed cameras on the western ring northern and south eastern all use an inductive wire loop cut in to the road. That is partly why there was so much confusion about weather there was or was not speed cameras in the tunnels when they firsted opened.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by AlsPug504:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Careful... I've been almost run out of town at times for suggesting things like that over the years.

Well when there is so many millions being made from speeding. What else would you call it? apart from a business? That is what business is money changing hands.

Ray Bell:
    Aw, Ray, we'd never do that to you. How else could we get a chance to sound like such sober, law abiding citizens! - besides, you'd just have to head as far as Burpengary (or should that be Murrumburrah)!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information