DECA on Sunday
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DECA on Sunday

VIP Sponsor

DECA on Sunday

There are now less than 10 places available for the DECA circuit sprint and motorkhana at Shepparton.
    However, only one Renault so far, David Cavanaugh in a 12 and no Citroens, come on you guys!
    Club membership and CAMS licences will be available on the day.
    Contact Phil Torode on 03 98172843 or me on 03 9859 1412 or 0429 939 619

Advertisement

Graham Wallis

Graham, just a quick apology. We both know i was VERY keen originally but lack off time and NEW job restricts this in a major way, sorry.
    BUT all others come on and have a go... and no you can't copy my EXCUSE...- chris
    ... ptui!

Look forward to seeing a few more Aussiefroggers this weekend

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    wink

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Graham, just a quick apology. We both know i was VERY keen originally but lack off time and NEW job restricts this in a major way, sorry.
    BUT all others come on and have a go... and no you can't copy my EXCUSE...- chris
    Believe it or not, this is exactly what has happened to me as well...

I was intending to come along to watch proceedings but a new job, coupled with final year uni project work that needs urgent attention has meant I can't attend this year (yet again).

Have fun guys!

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

nJm

I have my last exam on Tuesday so I'm not going this year either.

I will do my best to be there next year though!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Victoria put on some fantastic weather today for DECA (DeKa claims he brought it with him ). As per usual, I had fun at DECA.

Aussiefrogs' number one nomad, Derek came down from SYD for the event as part of a road trip. We put up the Aussiefrogs banner and handed out stickers and flyers. There were several Aussiefroggers at the event, those that may ring a bell: DeKa, Pug307, mistareno, RS2000 (a new member), GRAHAM WALLIS, 404phil (the organiser) & David Cavanagh.

Reflecting our great community here, mistareno lent a helmet to Derek & I - many thanks for that. We really do have some great people here.

Many thanks to Phil for organising it and to all the volunteer officials. As participants, we really owe it to them - without such people, these fun events just don't happen. They make it happen - we have the fun. Thanks once again.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Victoria put on some fantastic weather today for DECA (DeKa claims he brought it with him ). As per usual, I had fun at DECA.

Aussiefrogs' number one nomad, Derek came down from SYD for the event as part of a road trip. We put up the Aussiefrogs banner and handed out stickers and flyers. There were several Aussiefroggers at the event, those that may ring a bell: DeKa, Pug307, mistareno, RS2000 (a new member), GRAHAM WALLIS, 404phil (the organiser) & David Cavanagh.

Reflecting our great community here, mistareno lent a helmet to Derek & I - many thanks for that. We really do have some great people here.

Many thanks to Phil for organising it and to all the volunteer officials. As participants, we really owe it to them - without such people, these fun events just don't happen. They make it happen - we have the fun. Thanks once again.
    Most importantly, how were the ???

Administrator

As Justin said, it was a great day.

Thank you very much PCCV for hosting it....I'll be there again next year with bells on.

On a personal note I realy loved the track setions. although the old Fug is a wee bit under powered

There was only one minor incident, which resulted in a bit of damage to a Pug 505. Lukily, the driver was fine and seemed in good spirits aftrewards.

I had a minor drama with the old bus when she blew a heater hose whilst on the track (loose clamp I think) and dumped all the coolant.

I let it cool and filled her back up and all seems well again (touch wood)

Anyway, thanks PCCV and especially Phil Torode for organising the day.

P.S- Funniest moment of the day: Justin taking the most unusual line ever through the first bend at DECA while the crowd was just cringing as we were waiting for the crunch......he missed the wall but it's good to see the collision warning system activated the hazard lights....

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    As Justin said, it was a great day.

Thank you very much PCCV for hosting it....I'll be there again next year with bells on.

On a personal note I realy loved the track setions. although the old Fug is a wee bit under powered

There was only one minor incident, which resulted in a bit of damage to a Pug 505. Lukily, the driver was fine and seemed in good spirits aftrewards.

I had a minor drama with the old bus when she blew a heater hose whilst on the track (loose clamp I think) and dumped all the coolant.

I let it cool and filled her back up and all seems well again (touch wood)

Anyway, thanks PCCV and especially Phil Torode for organising the day.

P.S- Funniest moment of the day: Justin taking the most unusual line ever through the first bend at DECA while the crowd was just cringing as we were waiting for the crunch......he missed the wall but it's good to see the collision warning system activated the hazard lights....
    Good to hear the Fuego's going well, we were worried when we saw something smokey coming out.

The 307 has a proud history at DECA with those emergency braking flashing lights. Every year they give a little shock to those seeing on the track. The funny thing is, on that second lap I actually had a faster lap time I have to say, I was never worried on the track, it probably looked more spectacular from the outside. Anyway, have faith, I can tame the 307

I would say that this year I didn't push the car as much on the track, and strangely it was 5-10km/h down on top speed down the main straight. The only reason I could think of is that the temperature this year was slightly warmer, but not by much. The new tyres coped far better on the track.

I still find the motorkhana events my personal highlight, really is automotive ballet. Seeing a fortnight old 406 HDi dancing around the skidpan - priceless. From a spectators point of view, I think it's far more satisfying to watch than laps around the track, it's quite impressive what people can make their cars do. Yet it's far less taxing on the car than track work.

You just have to be careful that you don't get any penalties, because they'll kill your times. I almost forgot to drive through the gate before the garage in one of the events, overshot it, so reversed back and went through it. Did it again for fun, knocked off 10 secs and surprisingly had a record time - however as a retry, it wasn't counted. Of course that can be a little annoying, but at the same time it's nice knowing the 307 has no reason to be embarassed against smaller, more nimble machines like the 205. At the end of the day - you're there to have fun and you really do.

If you can learn something from the motorkhana - the handbrake is your friend

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Administrator

Justin,

How did you find out your times?

I would be interested to know which lap was my best.

I just asked.

Strangely though, there were only times from the first lot of laps (ie. the first two). I couldn't find my times for the second lot of laps. I suspect I drove better for the second lot - it's on camera I guess

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm

I'd love to see some video footage from this!

Gee that 307 has had all sorts of fun this year hasn't it!?!? Muahahahaha .

I'm not sure how well I'd do in the skidpan events in my car. Not only is it relatively larger than the 307, it also has extremely slow steering and I would never ever use the handbrake on a sealed surface (who knows when it would get stuck on again!).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Video footage and pics would be great

I'll be there in my 205 GTI next year, can't wait

(Because they looked cool...)

1000+ Posts

Thanks to all involved with DECA - this DeKa had a great day Well worth the travel time to get down there.

I made lots of errors in the motorkhana events, but oh well, you get that. When I knew I made a mistake, I sort of took a "freestyle" approach. On event 10, I did a whole extra circuit, and still was only 1 second slower than PUG307! (39 seconds as opposed to his 38 seconds). I had PUG307's friend in the car with me hanging on for dear life, I think the car was sideways on the wet skidpan the whole time

I had a great time anyway, and would highly reccomend the day to everyone It was good to meet most of the participants the night before at the pub too

Derek.

Have some video footage taken on sunday but it,s mainly of the our 404 with a small amount of other shots.

1000+ Posts

Default Photos

Hi all,

Here's my digital photos from the trip. Not many sorry. It was really hard to try and take photos whilst participating!

Here they are: http://homepage.mac.com/derekbartlet...toAlbum35.html

Derek.

Tadpole

I have a little bit of footage I am in the process of burning onto a CD, which I will make available if anyone is interested.

Does anybody have the results yet, or a link to them? The suspense is killing me....
    Matt M

I've placed a few photos from the day here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/skystar/DECA03/deca.htm

They're chiefly of three ohs, unfortunately this year I didn't have a second driver with whom I could've shared the photography.

Hopefully I will be able to have the few minutes of video digitised and placed online. Unfortunately I don't have much video as a friend arrived later in the day, missing out on a good few events.

Matt, last year I had the results about a week after the event. Next year my aim is to get no penalties

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

VIP Sponsor

Results shouldn't be long now, I'll talk to Phil today.

Graham Wallis

Administrator

Any news yet about results???

Administrator

bump bump

Thread Information