Buying a clio
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Buying a clio

s16

Buying a clio

My girlfriends old car has finally sh1t itself and due to the powerful force that are small french hatches (quick trips in an S16 will do that wink ) she wants to buy a clio. She loves the looks of the clio sport but at around 29k second hand the price may be a little out of her league (i hope not).

So she may have to 'settle' for for the 5 door. That means a 1.6 privilage may be in order, again second hand, with hopefully around 40,000 on the clock.

Advertisement

Are there any clio owners who can give us any tips on what to look for/ problem areas with the car. We may try to rent one for a few days to see how she likes it.

And yes i've tried to get her to buy a 206 gti, doesn't the looks, her loss.
    Scott

'95 306 S16 - gone to a good home

'02 Renault Sport Clio - Monaco Blue

XTC
    s16:
    she wants to buy a clio.
    The new manual 1.6 ltr Privilege is the pick of the crop (after the sport that is). It's practical, economical and has more features then your typical Korean Import. We are talking power everything, 4 airbags, ABS, Trip computer, 6 speaker CD deck, Front fogs, & Alloy wheels.

Stay away from the Auto's .. they only come on the 1.4ltrs and they are abysmal (unless she has to drive an auto).

The colour range is also great ....

Has she considered the Citroen C3 ... the new 1.6ltr is due out and will also be about the same price as a new Clio - with 6 airbags I believe.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Yes the c3 even now is a lot cheaper than the clio and im not sure how much the 1.6 will be when it comes out. You get a lot of car for little cost. tongue citroen_

The C3 was heading for $28k on the road i think in the 1.6, but its got the sensodrive (clutchless manule) as well! But who knows what price it will come out at. Wasn't it ment to be here in June? Have they given a release date?

Benny
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

If you want something small with a bit of grunt, take a look at the Barina SRi as well.

A used Astra SRi is also very good value.

macquered:
    If you want something small with a bit of grunt, take a look at the Barina SRi as well.

A used Astra SRi is also very good value.
    I'll save you some time with the Barina, forget it( I wonder the size of the kick back from Holden to the press? )one of the poorest of the hatches, Daihatsu Gtvi was better. We looked at everything from a Hyundai Getz to a Mini Cooper and ended up with a Clio Privelige. Cost verses performance the factor, Ex demo under $20K. So far 10K on the clock and no problems, love it.

Great news to hear about the clio....What a bargain you got 2_cents

Yeah pretty happy about that, just happen to walk into the dealer a few hours after the demo was put up for sale, not even detailed. They put up a good price from the start and a little haggling and the deal was done with no fuss within ten minutes.
    Ex Demos in the Age paper have a price around $21/22K . A private sale two weeks ago in the Saturday Age, white Privelige, 10K on the clock $18,500. Not in last weeks classifieds.

1000+ Posts
    My sister has somewhere between 12 and 15 000km on her Clio Expression and there is nothing I can point out as being an issue with it. It had a small hiccup on starting a few times several months ago but it hasn't happened again so who knows what that was.

I'd recommend the Priveledge, simply based on how amazing the Expression is in terms of what you get for the price. Even the little 1.4 flies

Derek.

Yeah the 1.4 is fine.The clio is a great little car lets hope we see plenty on sunday at the sydney bastille day display.I havent started to clean my car yet, will be busy Saturday I guess. :p

s16
    Thanks for the replies, she's really only interested in the clio at the moment. We've seen a black sport for about 28,500, hopefully we could talk him down abit.

Sounds like the 1.6 privledge would be the way to go. Aside from 200cc, a CD player, fog lights and alloy wheels is there much difference b/n privledge and expression models?
    Scott

1000+ Posts
    The Priveledge get velour interior and the Expression gets cloth. I still like the cloth in my sister's car. The seats are very 'wrap around' and comfortable for seats in a standard car. Says to me even the base-model is designed to be thrown around like a go-cart

My sister got the CD-stacker (under passenger seat) thrown in, and not long after she bought hers the CD stacker became standard-fare (probably due to media criticism that the car had a tape deck) so you will probably find alot of the Expressions will have the 6 stacker under the passenger seat.

I haven't driven a Priveledge, but for an extra 5kw, a bit more torque, fog lights and mags and nicer fabric, I wouldn't be paying too much extra over the expression price. As many have said over the last few months, the Renault 1.4L engine in a manual car is a fantastic combination. Quiet (unbelieveably quiet actually), good throttle response, enough low down torque to be able to potter around town at low revs, but exceedingly willing at high revs. I can imagine the 1.6 be the same in those respects, only better. Hope all that helps rather than confuses the situation!

Derek.

<small>[ 09 July 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: DeKa ]</small>

s16
    Thanks mate!
    Scott

1000+ Posts
    No worries - if you were in Sydney I'd say come over and test out the complete range wink

Derek.

s16
    [QB]Thanks for the replies, she's really only interested in the clio at the moment. We've seen a black sport for about 28,500, hopefully we could talk him down abit.
    [QB]
    Careful S16, i know first hand how quick these things (clio sport's are) i got flogged quite convisingly by one, so if your GF has even a slightly keen foot she will kick your s16's butt...lol. just jokes. If you can extend to the Sport you (and her) will love it. Wait a little and they will drop again. cheers Xq

ps and my S16 isn't exactly standard either.
    ... ptui!

My wife drives a Clio 1.4L and is more than happy with it. It's a very interesting drive, feels very capable on the road (within the constraints you'd expect of a 1.4L auto), and an acquired skill to do it right, but she's done Melbourne-Canberra in it in quite adequate comfort. Only problem she had with it (it's just had its 10,000km service) was that the rear door latches hadn't been connected spanner to the lock mechanisms ...

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but she was a candidate for a peugeot_ , and went shopping for one in a certain Melbourne outlet. Met an old school friend, now a doctor, who, by sheer coincidence, was there with the same objective in mind. Both treated with such indifference by the "salesman" that they both went and bought another brand the same day -- one a renault_ Clio, the other a Ford (Focus? Laser? not sure ...), only because her 19-year old son didn't like the way the Clio handled speed humps ... at speed.

Relevance of this story is that the renault_ sales people shone by comparison (wouldn't have been difficult), not only pre-sale, but when she took it in for service as well.

peugeot_ 206gti renault_ clio
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ťre grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

s16
    Funny you should mention that, i called up renault in ringwood on Saturday at about 4pm. I explained that my girlfriend is a nurse and works irregular hours and we have trouble trying to get to car dealers before they shut.

And as they were not going to be open on sunday (when we both had a day off) he said he would drive down to Mulgrave (for those in non melbourne areas it's not exactly around the corner) just to let us have a test drive. I was amazed that he would offer that. Especially on a sat afternoon.

We didn't take him up on the offer, but we also have had great service from mentone renault. Sad to say but the service at peugeot is far behind.

I know that renault is trying to crack the aussie market and can't afford to neglect any potential sales but i was plesntly suprised at how well we have been treated.
    Scott

XTC
    s16:
    And as they were not going to be open on sunday (when we both had a day off) he said he would drive down to Mulgrave (for those in non melbourne areas it's not exactly around the corner) just to let us have a test drive. I was amazed that he would offer that. Especially on a sat afternoon.
    I don't think it comes down to brands or dealer, but the particular sales person. When I tried to look at a Clio Sport the sales person wasn't interested at all giving me a test drive at all. They finally gave in and got a short 5 min drive.

Went to the Pug dealer the same day, not only did they chuck me the keys and let me go on my own - they offered the car for the whole weekend, just bring it back Monday.

Trying to get a test drive of a 307XSi (or XSE) has been harder ... cause almost 100% of them are pre-sold.

When my brother started looking at cars about 2 months ago he's had a similar non-interest from some dealers.

Nissan 350Z - "No prolems sir - lets go for a drive".

Focus ST170 - "Sorry no test drives all cars are spoken for by customers - they didn't test drive them - but here's a Zetec 2ltr as an example".

Clio Sport - "Sorry no test drives, don't have a demo model - will call you when we do" - they never called.

Peugeot 206GTi - "No problems - sorry the the GTi180 is not due till 2004".

Mazda MX5 - "Not a problem - do you also want to book in for a RX8 test drive?"

Subaru WRX - "we don't do test drives - they are so good the WRX sells itself" - True statement by the [email protected] sales person !!! Also tried to tell me the WRX was a far better handling car then my 206GTi. moon

So the interest from dealers has been really varied, the upshot is he's going to wait for the GTi180 and the RX8 before making a final decision - what the dealers don't understand is even though we've rocked up in his 1995 Corolla, he has the CASH to pay for any of these cars outright. Never judge a book by it's cover.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    If you can, get hold of a copy of Wheels March 02. The Clio Privilege won an 11-car comparison, beating, among others, 206GTi, Xsara and Astina SP20. The testers were very impressed with the car. When I have some more time later I'll post some quotes from the article.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

I think i read that article too it gave it pretty high praise.. renault_ head_ban

Personally, I thought that article was an example of Wheels going a bit gaga.

At the end of the day, it's a hot hatch comparo. No matter how you look at it - the Clio Privilege wasn't the best hot hatch in that comparo. I'd have given it to the 206 GTi - that's more of a hot hatch than the Clio Privilege.

I'm not saying the Clio is bad, far from it - but at the end of the day, remember the key objective in mind - is it a hot hatch? On that basis, I think Wheels missed the point.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Never-the-less, here's part of what Wheels had to say.

And so to the winner Ė Renaultís 1.6 litre Clio Privilege. No, we didnít expect it either. But the more time we spent driving this impressive little frog, the more we loved it. This is an extraordinary car. And an absolute bargain. But thrills in a luxury model? You bet. The Clioís a ball. Itís not as grippy or as precise as the 206 GTi because itís more softly-sprung and doesnít have the Peugeotís fabulous rolling stock. But the Clio remains a wonderfully involving steer.
    For starters, itís front-drive and it oversteers. Progressive, controllable oversteer. Itís hard to believe that something so mundane could be so driver-oriented. And so much fun.
    ...strong, fade-free stoppers... ...a giggle to corner... ...excellent chassis balance... ...balletic... ...the most fluid handler of the lot... ...steering is light, but very crisp, and oh so linear. It communicates, but doesnít kick back... ...fun at any speed...
    Equally praiseworthy is the ride. Itís so absorbent and so supple, itís almost unbelieveable for a small car. But the Clio doesnít roll like a ship in a swell when the corners arrive. And it doesnít smother bumps at the expense of driver feedback. ...beautifully damped so float never intrudes.
    ...torque by the skip load. ...only real flaw is the tight rear seat.
    The Clio Privilege looks great, drives exceptionally, and is superbly comfortable. Itís refined. Itís classy. Itís amazing fun. And itís the value buy of the moment.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

XTC
    peujohn:
    And so to the winner – Renault’s 1.6 litre Clio Privilege.
    Would I swap it for my 206GTi ? .. not a chance,
    Would I consider it as option ? .. certainly if my budget was only the mid $20K mark and over any Korean POS.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information