McRae cans 2004 WRC plans
  • Register
  • Help
    XTC

Spain Citroen Colin McRae 31/10/2003 10:02:30

Colin McRae will take a sabbatical from the World Rally Championship in 2004. The 1995 World Champion today announced that after 16 years on the World scene he will not compete in next year's championship.

Advertisement

The Scot had been trying to secure backing for an independent assault on the WRC after losing his Citroen factory drive, but now looks likely to pursue other motorsport options next year.

"I'm really looking forward to getting into other forms of motorsport;" he said, "it's something I've always said I wanted to do. Everyone knows there are talks about me competing on The Dakar. That's an event I've always thought about doing. There's potential for a deal there, and also lots of others that would take me into different forms of motorsport."

McRae has also dabbled in car racing over the years and has recently tested a GT class Porsche.

"2004 has the makings of a very interesting year," he says, "and hopefully I'll be in a position to make an announcement about certain things very soon."

McRae says his decision stems from the FIA's WRC rule changes. "There are numerous reasons for not competing in the 2004 WRC and one of the main things is the change in the specific regulation that says each team can only have two registered cars," he said.

"It didn't help that a definite decision wasn't made early enough in the year to give anyone a chance of securing a drive. Because of that, the only option left was to find the funds to pay for a drive and, given the short timescale, it's just almost impossible to pull that kind of money together.

McRae also says he understands Citroen's decision to retain Carlos Sainz rather than him. "At the time Citroen made its decision, Carlos was in a stronger position in the Championship than me, and still is. It also has very strong links with the Spanish market so both of these factors obviously contributed. Had the driver regulations not changed, Citroen had always stated they would keep all three of us; now they can't.

All that's happened in 2003 has also, McRae admits, affected his form. "All this, coupled with the fact that it's not been my best year in the sport," he continued, "have meant I've not really enjoyed it. And I've always said that when I don't enjoy it, I would seriously consider stepping back. The results haven't been there and these two things go together; if you're enjoying it, you're competitive. I'm not as competitive as I want to be and this is another reason for pulling out."

Next weekend's Wales Rally GB is now confirmed as Colin McRae's last WRC event in the foreseeable future.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Sad to se McRae go.

Always enjoyed watching him drive.

Will miss the Burns/McRae skirmishes

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Sad to see him go, but i never really rated him, it was more hype that surrounded McRae rather than his results.

In the end i suppose it was that big profile & poor results which seems him without a drive for next years wrc.

I geuss this mean no more colin mc crae rally video games

Funny how no one really cares about the departure of Tommi Makkinen, a much better driver in my eyes.

XTC
    McCrash will be missed .. but his constant complaining won't be ... Other then a few short seasons of brilliance, many think his ego is bigger then his ability.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!
    I think Colin McRae is getting a taste of his own medicine. He's gotten what he deserves.

XTC
    Jamesnj:
    I think Colin McRae is getting a taste of his own medicine. He's gotten what he deserves.
    He does have 25 WRC wins (equal with Sainz) with Tommi on 24. So you can't say it's all bad ... Tommi just managed to string enough together to win 4 championships in a row.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information