fuel economy
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: fuel economy

1000+ Posts

fuel economy

I've worked out I'm spending about $25 a week on fuel for normal city driving (about 13k a day). Using Optimax (approx $1 a litre). I've tried measuring it as accurately as I can - it seems to hover around 30 mpg (city).

Does that sound about right compared to modern car economy standards these days?

Advertisement

I work on around 10 litres/100 klms in round town driving in a BX 1.9 either 8 or 16 valve versions.
    I think that would equate to around 30 MPG. What motor has the 204 got in it?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Normal city driving = 13km a day
    7 Days in a week

7 x 13 = 91km

$25 of petrol at $1 a litre = 25 litres

25/0.91
    = 27.47l/100km

Err - are you sure about those figures? You know, I have a feeling a Bentley would still beat you in an economy run!

I'm sitting on 7.5l/100km at the moment - that's in an auto.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    Hmm, well I know absolutely nothing about the 204, but it is in tune?? I know mine (carb'd 2L 505) uses a LOT more fuel if it is out of tune.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts
    My 306XSi is doing 10.5 L/100km (26.9mpg) in the city, and about 8L/100km (29mpg) on the highway which is worse than the old 306 XR I had. Admittedly the only highway driving I've done in the car so far has been with either 3 or 5 people in it and a full boot.

If you want to compare small cars, our Citroen C3 does 7L/100km (33mpg) in the city and 5.1L/100km (46mpg) on the highway.

I guess that means you're doing better than my 2L 16 valve 306 engine, but not quite as good as the 1.4L Citroen C3. The difference in weight between my 306 and the C3 is only 63kg.

For those who need a good fuel consumption converter: <a href="http://www.users.bigpond.com/ncrick/converters/fuelcons.html" target="_blank">http://www.users.bigpond.com/ncrick/converters/fuelcons.html</a>

Derek.

1000+ Posts
    There's a small weep in the fuel tank (where the drain plug bolt is) - I guess that would explain the poor figures?? It's an 1100 motor.

Just in the old MPG figures, your fuel consumption is working out to be 10.28 MPG

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Yikes! I thought it seemed a bit rich - I gotta investigate that leak -

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    my GTi-6 gets around 26mpg around town here but i get around the 36mpg on the open road so it makes up for the lack of economy around town
    204's had the little OHC engine FWD
    my uncle had one at one stage
    i don't know where it is now and there was an ex presso in the car club that had a 304 cab
    they are around but not a lot of them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

well my CX has been running around 23mpg around town. Recently the local safeway petrol place has been selling ULP for 92.5cpl. I think "Rippa", head upto shell to fill up. Shell is $1.05 for standard ULP. Well I'll be buggered if I'm going to pay the greedy [email protected][email protected] about 20cents a litre more just for Optimax. I've just worked it out, around town on safeway PULP (apparantly 97octane) I got 22.6mpg. Recently I towed the campertrailer out along the highway. Usualy I get 28mpg with the trailer & 34mpg without. Running safeway PULP I got 25mpg towing. So I sacrafice 3mpg on the highway using safeway PULP over Optimax. But not much at all around town.

As I've bragged how reliable the car is it's started dropping a cylinder as it come's onto boost (a very electrical miss). I've just priced a new set of plug leads (as the set on it were obviously there when it left the Citroen factory) and Platniam plugs. I'm still sitting on the floor cos I fell off my seat in shock when I was told the prices eek! eek!

Apparantly Bosch do the platnium plug & HT leads set for the CX out here, hope there OK cos I'm going to order some in.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane,

You must be on a good screw just thinking about factory stuff. eek! deal
    I've used silicone leads from Repco for years & never had a problem.
    Best plugs I EVER had in a CX were Nippon Denso a subsidery of Toyota. Not much if anymore dearer than NGK/Bosch & so on.
    Wasn't there someone on here who had access to Equyem plugs at one stage? If it's plugs for the Turbo you're talking, get a price on those Bosch Super 4s. Ran them in my BX16V for a while; about $40 a set & not a real bad plug. dance

Alan S 2_cents
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thought I 'd chuck this in. I am getting 7.9l to the 100k highway in the manual 2.0l 504 when driven carefully snail and 8.2 litres to the 100k normal driving.

9.5 litres to the 100 round town driven carefully. 13.0L to the 100k normal driving My worst when absolutly thrashing mallet the car was 17 litres to the hundred!

Hi Alan,

I rang both Mel Carey and Dave Cavanagh, they both did the same "Oh shit, I don't think we even have a listing for them. I'll have to ring the suppliers". mallet mallet

Anyway, I grabbed a price from Mel, I'm sure Dave will be the same as they'll have the same supplier Hows $156 + GST grab you for 'em. As the car has twin transformer coils as opposed to a dizzie & seperate coil it has only 4 HT leads. With a bit of postage thown in that's $45 A LEAD !! eek! eek!

Andy spare online shop lists 'em as 27pounds for a set, guess where I'll buy 'em.

I just got the word back from bosch, they don't do the right plugs, and they don't do the lead sets, even though there listed in the current catalogue just sent out (it was sitting on the desk there as it'd just arrived). For some reason it's listed to run a really cold plug. He read the plug I wanted "Sh!+ what's 'P', and sh!t, never seen that heat range in them ....". He said he wouldn't risk running anything other than the heat range they suggest though.

However he can get NGK plugs in the correct heat range for about $3.60 each. So I'll chuck some of them in for now, and I'll probably order some equium plugs in with the leads. I Really, really hope it's the plugs that's causing her to drop a cylinder cos if it comes to the crunch, I'm not heading to Maleny with her dropping onto 3 whenever a little grunts needed. mallet

I know the leads are on there way out, the longest lead (to No 4) reads the least resistance. That's just plain backwards, the shortest lead should read the least resistance as it's shorter!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

have u thought about using TOP GUN leads...i thought they r quite good...i ve got a set of 8.8 on my gti and if you can be bothered taking your leads in they can make them up for you( even if they may not be listed in their catalogue)...see what the local autobarn offers...u might be surprised...i dont work with them any more so i can not tell if your car is listed.. in regards to the platinum spark plugs...i dont know ..r they really worth it...when Hot4 s did a spark plug test..platnums were worst performing...they r great as they have a long life and especially good in situations where u have to take HALF the engine apart to get to the plugs...(how accesible r your plugs...)...re bosch4s...they r not a bad plug but if your plugs get any kind of build up on them regulary its the one plug to avoid like the PLAGUE as the 4 ends end up acting like a trap and can faul up really bad.....

cheers
    dino

...hopefully its just the leads...

Hi Dino,

nah, she doesn't fowl the plugs up. Infact there nice 'n' clean ... The car appears to use absolutly no oil from what I can tell. I've done about 3500miles since oil change & it's still exactly on the upper dipstick marker.

Of course it's obvious what will happen, I spend up to replace the plugs 'n' leads, then find it's still doing it and trace it to a loose/dodgy connection to one of the coils mallet mallet mallet

The plugs and leads need replacing either way.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

My 604 gets around 12 mpg a_drink a_drink a_drink , which is why I don't drive it at the moment!
    I'm not sure why it is so bad, but it has got a Holley on it. Maybe that's the price you have to pay for running such a big carby.
    I noticed elswhere on the forum that you can get a manufold for a PRV that uses a single Webber. How hard are they to get and how expensive?
    Can I use a 32DIR or is it too small?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

With 604 there a several manifolds you can get one that bolt up electromechanical fuel injection the volvo one fitted a single HIF 6 SU and the one I had which had to solexs one a single barrel primary and the other a two barrel which was the secondries. If your carb is a 5200 holley I would just get rid of it!! However there are so many other thing I can suggest on holley as you can see from my post

However I would try a couple of things with the holley .
    With holley they share a powervalve that is the same as that in motorcraft carbs. On the motorcraft the powervalve diaphram is known to leak! Under full vacuum in the holley and motorcraft this fuel gets drawn straight into the engine. My mate lost 10 litres to the 100 per tank to the powervalve!!!

The other thing is to jet the power valve holes in the metering block. One other point i recently learnt by testing, is that the number on the powervalve is the number of inches mercury the valve is fully open at! Ie if its a 75 that is its full open pressure. It actually unseats at about 11 inches Some holleys have ajustable airbleeds, wind the airbleed screw out as far as you can. Unless it is the type that adjusts the fuel as well. In which case you change the mixtures rather than the emulsion. The other points are to check the carb for casting faults some have voids were there not supposed to. And adjust your float level (check that the float still floats.) down till the vehical hesitates then ajust up a 32nd inch til the hesitation stops. You can also buy a kit called a grose jet this stops the needle and seat from leaking (check if it does) there are alot of other adjustment bits you can get with holley but the stuff above is not generally found. That is why I thought I'd put it in! get a color tune. they are great for getting mixtures right! If the holley has two corner idle it will make tuning easy! check fuel lines and pumps for leaks check the tank drain point.

AL

That economy your getting is really bad even the 460ci or 7.5litre ford V8 was getting 18 mpg with an 850dp holley on it. your engine is a 2.7 so you should see at least a 30 mpg.

<small>[ 03 April 2003, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: AlsPug504 ]</small>

dino:
    have u thought about using TOP GUN leads...
    Once again, according to my brother, who runs a workshop at Currumbin...

"Whenever a car comes in that has started to run badly, and we look and find it has new leads, and those leads are 'Top Gun' leads, we just replace the leads. The problem is then fixed."

pugnut403... regarding the 604... so did mine get 12mpg till I worked away at the problem. One of the biggest gains I made was to properly seal the petrol cap, which allowed petrol to pour out when full if you parked with the right hand side of the car lower than the left!

I believe it's possible to reasonably get about 16mpg without doing anything crazy... putting the 604 engine on LPG, however, delivers the best results.

According to Owen Wuillemin, the ports are too large, the fuel drops out of suspension, they become very inefficient. LPG can't drop out of suspension.

Fit a tank behind the seat where the petrol tank is, use a mixer on the 2-barrel section of the standard manifold, fit a carby off a 304 on the front part of the manifold, fit a small fuel tank off a Jap car under the boot floor, using an electric pump, make up linkages to these carbies that can be interchanged.

If you run out of LPG, switch on the electric pump and open the bonnet, swing the linkage off the mixer and onto the little carby... drive on.

It won't accelerate all that fast, but you can probably cruise at 100kmh until you get to a servo with LPG.

<small>[ 03 April 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Ray Bell ]</small>

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    grab a low compression (8.2:1) inlet manifold and run a 38DGAV weber on the car
    get a dyno tune done on it and on a trip with an auto 604 you should achieve at least 25mpg
    i used to get 31-33mpg with this mod and a 5 spd running the 3.58 diff in a 604 cruising at around 120km/h
    the manifolds are around if you hunt for them but they are made for the single dual throat synchronious weber and have venturis in the manifold to achieve the correct air/fuel mix to every cylinder
    the other way is to grab the entire injection system off an early ovlov and run that on the car
    you can pick up entire systems from wreckers for anything between $200 and $300 which would work about the same as grabbing a low comp manifold and weber and getting the car dyno tuned
    the inlet ports are large on the cars as there isn't any difference between a carby or injected head on the cars
    there is a lot of work that can be done to these heads and motors to make them so much better
    in standard form they are a very under stressed engine
    simple porting can achieve great results with these engines
    decent mileage can be achieved with a 604 without the hassle of running a dual fuel system (which isn't economical) or a straight gas system
    if you go down the injected route i would advise you to grab the dissy and control box and convert the car to electronic ignition instead of the twin points setup you probably currently have

as a side note my mothers car when she had it was totally standard and used to return 31mpg on a trip so it is possible to get good mileage with the original twin solex setup
    what year model is your 604 ?
    and what diff has it got under it ?
    in regards to the holley in my opinion i would take it off, wrap it up in the daily news and place it in the green flip top and let the weekly sanitary engineer remove it from you care for you

if anyone wants a 350 holley i have one here that they are welcome to have
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Alan,

it just accurred to me why you were so surprised about why I bothered to price Citroen HT leads. The car has built in plug extender in the HT leads, that's why I can't just match/make a set.

What I think I'll do is find a good set of plug extenders from an old CX wreck and put standard HT leads on the bloody thing Fancy them thinking they could ask $170+ for something any fool could make up themselves given terminals & a bit of high tension lead.

I'm still recovering from $75 for a stinkin universal accelerator cable. I could've made that bloody thing up myself for about $4.00

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

re: RAY bell and top gun leads....

HAS YOUR BROTHER THOUGHT ABOUT MAYBE LEAVING THE LEADS ON AND JUST PUTTING THEM BACK IN THE "right"
    FIRING ORDER...HEHEHHEHEH

seriously though...for the four or so years that i was at autobarn we NEVER had somebody come back complaining about the leads we sold...and we sold hundreds and hundreds...

cheers
    dino

ps...for those who worry about fuel consumtion try owning a jeep.....like i said..last time i bothered checking fuel consumption...i got 350 kays on app 60litres....and thats on new leads, new plugs, rotor and a semi-heavy foot....and mostly all on rear-drive only....

Dino what type of jeep? Does it have the 360 V8 and the motorcraft carb on it??

Al

no just the plain old 4 litre six.....sad isn t it?'95 model 2...limited adition 2...should have been limited to NON EXISTANCE....crap car..

cheers
    dino

Fellow Frogger!
    the audi running optimax averages approx. 11.8l/100km. given that 99% of it city driving, this is not so good.

i did however manage to average 6.0l/100km on a trip to byron (once).

AT
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

Originally posted by dino
    <strong>re: RAY bell and top gun leads....

HAS YOUR BROTHER THOUGHT ABOUT MAYBE LEAVING THE LEADS ON AND JUST PUTTING THEM BACK IN THE "right"
    FIRING ORDER...HEHEHHEHEH

seriously though...for the four or so years that i was at autobarn we NEVER had somebody come back complaining about the leads we sold...and we sold hundreds and hundreds....
    I can only take his word for it, of course...

But what he told me was that in every case the sole check made was to replace the leads. The cars generally will have come in about a week or two after the leads were replaced, they ran okay for a few days and then went off song.

What he was doing, of course, was following standard procedure... look at the last change that had been made.

And those people hadn't been back to Autobarn or K-Mart either, they went to a mechanic to have the problem diagnosed. Most people, you'll find, are reluctant to go and complain about faulty products once they've used them.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information