Motoring Press Bias
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Motoring Press Bias

We had one newspaper (Brisbane Courier Mail) award the Honda Jazz "Car of the Year" (just prior to it hitting the showrooms, of course).

Apparently as it turns out this thing doesn't sit too comfortably on Aussie roads and rides like a shopping trolley. How embarrasing is that?

Advertisement

And notice whenever they test a Frogmobile they wax lyrical at the incredible chassis dynamics, the wonderful driver feedback and that "joi de vivre"? Then they go and deduct points because the stereo knob is in a funny position. Give me a big fat break - I hate the way they they set themselves up as tastemeisters for everyone.

Absolutely agree with that, the journalists in Melbourne are just as bad, the Herald Sun is biased towards anything holden.
    2002 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16v sold
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

1983 Peugeot 505 STI

Graham,

Have you actually been in a Jazz or driven it? Could it be possible that it's actually a good car?

I could certainly understand why it got the award - sure the suspension is the weak point of the car, but there's so much that is great about that car.

I criticised the handling of it (ride is okay - sure it's not like a old Pug, but tell me, how many cars are these days?) because I could get the tyres squealing and the steering lacked feel or had synthetic feel. At the end of the day, who are the people buying these cars? Will they notice any shortcomings in handling? Probably not.

I'd probably say that the Jazz is the best packaged car on the Australian market. You'll find it hard to find a car that has such efficient use of space. The engine is good, zippy and fuel efficient, the CVT transmission blows any French auto out into the reeds for sheer smoothness and intelligence. Well built. Excellent equipment for the price too - the Clio is the only one that could give it a run for the money.

I've driven the C3, Clio & several 206s, so I know what the French competition is. As an overall package, they can't beat the Jazz.

I guess it's hardly rocket science to guess why the Jazz is now the second best selling supermini in Australia - it's beating the Barina. That's not bad, considering that the Echo (Nį1) has much cheaper variants.

Wonder how it'd sell if there weren't the supply issues. Peugeot certainly knew about those & the 307!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

although..if i may....number of cars sold doesn t really necesarily equate to how good the car is...they managed to have sold thousands of vn commodores which even won car of the year...these days however most people will admit that the vn was and never will be anything spectacular just like the camira...time seems to be the only reliable abiter when it comes to ultimately syaing how good any car is or was.....which is one thing nobody has when they r buying new or recent release...i still say if one is to compare them they should be compared after each opponent has seen 10 to 20K kays...on another note a HONDA is almost always a safe bet putting aside the civic coupes and the odd leggend...

cheers
    dino

I'd always suspect that there'd be a good dollup of old motoring patriotism when it comes to awards like the Commodores You can't really argue that when it comes to the Jazz. I think it's quite a smart idea to relocate the fuel tank to underneath the passenger seat (yeah, laugh, but then think about it).

I think the BA is pretty good though.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

heheheh... ...
    justin i m only mentioning the commodore as it might apply to many people who still dont know any better...ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY..hell there are people who dont know any better...they bought their first commodore vn they thought hm ...gees this is nice because they r comparing it to their just traded in (piss weak) corona....then they go out and replace the vn with the vt...and they probably still didn t see a difference...same for the ford guys...seems like the journalists seem to be doing all the talking and the customers all the walking...yes the vt+ and new BA+ are both decent cars but the JAZZ is really quite fresh..it has no honda predecessor so u can t blame people for being a little bit sceptical especially when a car fails its basic suspension/ride test,..do we know how it fares with four people in it???

cheers
    dino

UFO
    Pug307
    [QB] I think it's quite a smart idea to relocate the fuel tank to underneath the passenger seat (yeah, laugh, but then think about it).

QB]
    You would be surpised how many cars have the fuel tank under the rear passengers - Cit DS, BX, XM, Xantia (I think) and probably a goodly number of Peugeots too.

I'm sure there are lots of other makes the same.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Ahh,

I should've added FRONT seats

307's fuel tank is under the rear seat - most cars do put it in that area in front of the axle for safety reasons.

I was just thinking, some smart arse was going to make a crack at an exploding fuel tank underneath the front passenger seat.

The Jazz really is cleverly packaged.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    Ahh,

I should've added FRONT seats
    A 2CV Sahara has the tank under the front seats......
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole
    I had 2 old Beetles where the fuel tank was practically on your lap. That plus swing axles and 6volt electronics. Aaaagh those crazy safety -conscious Germans...

Mark Streeter:
    I had 2 old Beetles where the fuel tank was practically on your lap. That plus swing axles and 6volt electronics. Aaaagh those crazy safety -conscious Germans...
    And knowing all this I was once almost inducted into the Guinness Book of Records when a beetle I was driving developed a dead short under the bonnet whilst I was driving along Downs Street North Ipswich.
    The award was suggested by my detailer who was standing on the footpath saw the ball of smoke followed by almost instant flames, followed by a handbrake turn to right angles - door open & driver fall from the drivers seat & bounce down the road all in a matter of about 2/3rds of a second he reckoned. eek! cry eek!
    I've broken my fair share of bones over the years but I can't come at being barbequed.
    Would never have made a missionary in Africa. dance mallet

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I had a person come in and test drive a Scenic and start comparing it to the jazz...he started questioning Renault build quality because he observed "large gaps".....

"I didnt put a gun to your head to take this test drive, if you question the quality of a vehicle, why that vehicle for a test drive?"...i felt like saying...i wouldnt take a Kia Rio for a test drive for that reason.

To compare a Jazz to a Clio, fine, but to a Scenic?? How big are those Jazz things inside?

Go inside one.

You'd be very surprised - it feels larger than an Astra inside, and that's the next class of car up!

You can't fault the packaging, it really is good.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I heard a ripper on the State ABC this morning that demonstrates how little the tyre kickers know about froggys as well as a reverse instance of values for kilometres. whistle
    They have a guy on their, a used car dealer who gives on air valuations. (WE used to refer to them as 'crystal ball appraisals') deal A woman comes on seeking advice; she describes the car as a 1987 Peugeot 504 with 374,000 klms in average condition but needs about $500 to make it capable of getting a RWC; should she spend the money or should she sell as is.
    "Aww Gee!! I wouldn't spend the dough on a car with THAT mileage....no way; I man I know it's a Peugeot but aww, gee....no just let it go as is I'd reckon.....yer gunna probaly get 2 1/2 to 3 for it." (she butts in) "That's selling it 'as is??' I didn't think we'd get anywhere near that; are you sure?" (voice getting very excited and going up a few decibals) "Aww.. well...ahhh...what's the paint & bodywork like? OK? (little bit of rust in one door and paint slightly off but basically tidy) yeah....see what ya mean, perhaps 15 to 2 might be a bit closer....ya'll possibly finish up gettin' an offer around a grand...ya know that dontcha? But don't start too low or they'll think something's wrong with it & nobody'll come & look at it. Probably still got a lotta life in it bein' a Peugeot & all.....good luck with it." (Talked him down well she did.) mallet

NEXT CALLER:

Hello....I've got a Toyota Camry Auto 1999 model with 72,000 on the clock in very good condition, air/con etc etc how much do you think it's worth?"
    "Gee a '99 Camry with that sort of mileage isn't going to be easy to shift, particularly as they're discounting them like crazy at present; start off at 14 but my guess is that 12,500 will pull it up!!" eek! cry

How can you figure them out??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan S:
    I heard a ripper on the State ABC this morning that demonstrates how little the tyre kickers know about froggys as well as a reverse instance of values for kilometres. whistle
    They have a guy on their, a used car dealer who gives on air valuations. (WE used to refer to them as 'crystal ball appraisals') deal A woman comes on seeking advice; she describes the car as a 1987 Peugeot 504 with 374,000 klms in average condition but needs about $500 to make it capable of getting a RWC; should she spend the money or should she sell as is.
    "Aww Gee!! I wouldn't spend the dough on a car with THAT mileage....no way; I man I know it's a Peugeot but aww, gee....no just let it go as is I'd reckon.....yer gunna probaly get 2 1/2 to 3 for it." (she butts in) "That's selling it 'as is??' I didn't think we'd get anywhere near that; are you sure?" (voice getting very excited and going up a few decibals) "Aww.. well...ahhh...what's the paint & bodywork like? OK? (little bit of rust in one door and paint slightly off but basically tidy) yeah....see what ya mean, perhaps 15 to 2 might be a bit closer....ya'll possibly finish up gettin' an offer around a grand...ya know that dontcha? But don't start too low or they'll think something's wrong with it & nobody'll come & look at it. Probably still got a lotta life in it bein' a Peugeot & all.....good luck with it." (Talked him down well she did.) mallet

NEXT CALLER:

Hello....I've got a Toyota Camry Auto 1999 model with 72,000 on the clock in very good condition, air/con etc etc how much do you think it's worth?"
    "Gee a '99 Camry with that sort of mileage isn't going to be easy to shift, particularly as they're discounting them like crazy at present; start off at 14 but my guess is that 12,500 will pull it up!!" eek! cry

How can you figure them out??

Alan S
    Alan,

You can't. Ignorance is bliss.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980