Drove a Ferrari 360 Modena the other day
  • Register
  • Help

Drove a Ferrari 360 Modena the other day

I know this is not a very French topic, but some things just have to be said...
    This 360 was a fairly exciting car. I've driven a couple of V12's and V8' Ferrari's in the past, however this car was the wildest, and nicest of the lot. It had the F1 paddle (as per Alfa selespeed) gearshift. Gearchange was crap when cold and at low revs, but it was great at higher speed. Dunno why anyone would buy a straight manual. The engine: jeepers. Holden make motors as powerful as this, however this thing is amazing. It pulls like a BUS-load of schoolboys to 9000 rpm, and makes an amazing howl. Would it be daggy to call the noise spine tingling? It howls like 10 high-revving motorbike engines glued together,
    The problem was, it was so scary driving $330,000 worth of used car it was hard to enjoy. But not impossible.
    Steering was quite good also.
    Most noticable characteristic of the car??? The nose barely dipped at all under hard braking.
    What a car. After a teenagers first opposite sex grope this was the most memorable tactile experience I have had. That's why people buy cars like this instead of that incredibly good, but very unspecial and therefore dismal failure of a Honda NSX. The one with fake Allen screw heads on the console.

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

nJm
    Lucky you! head_ban

I've never been in a Ferrari, however I've been in my uncle's 2002 BMW M3 a few times while it has been driven around its redline. Awesome sound. It is almost spine-tingling, although I'd imagine a Ferrari would be more so wink .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I've driven a Lotus Elise around the winery region in South Australia. Awesome experience.

And at the Wakefield track day just last week I went in a current model Elise on the track as a passenger. Awesome once again.

I'd love to drive a Ferrari. I don't think anything else comes close.

Darren

All I can say is moon

The closest I have been to a 360 was when it's 4 angry exhaust pipes roared past my window on it's way to a happy place.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

I owned a 308 GT4 which was silver with blue leather and factory sunroof,lucky for me I worked in a Ferrari workshop so was able to maintain it with huge savings...I will never forget the pleasure of the gears snicking in the gated slot.
    the howl of the quad cam V8 high in the revs...
    a year and 6 months of pleasure before I sold it to buy a shop/dwelling to live in....ahh domestic pleasures!!...one day..some way
    Andrew cheers! whip citroen_
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Cal
    dogboy:
    I owned a 308 GT4 which was silver with blue leather and factory sunroof,lucky for me I worked in a Ferrari workshop so was able to maintain it with huge savings...I will never forget the pleasure of the gears snicking in the gated slot.
    the howl of the quad cam V8 high in the revs...
    a year and 6 months of pleasure before I sold it to buy a shop/dwelling to live in....ahh domestic pleasures!!...one day..some way
    Andrew cheers! whip citroen_
    I love 308 GT4's. Hard to justify the running costs though. Been for a good run in one of those and a glass bodied 308 GTB. Certainly different from home grown V8's....lol. The best though was a 365 GT4 V12.

Warwick, you lucky bastard. I would love a spin in a 360.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Can we ban Warwick for a bit? I think a one week suspension from Aussie Frogs is called for. evil Perhaps just a note to a moderator about that unacceptable behaviour of our members n this forum at times...

OK...can you tell I'm just a WEE bit jealous???? Sigh... Anyway, have you driven in a F355? The're both awesome cars, I'd love either of them.

blush
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

forgot to mention...working in a Ferrari workshop I got to drive...355 targa roofed,246 dino,a queen mary V12,348(boring),328's of various types
    and moved! a 356 daytona...of course there was the odd maserati to move as well..
    drooled over some rare V12's but was not allowed to drive them!! bugger..had Nicole Kidmans 956??
    porsche for a day...awesome!!
    cheers! citroen_
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Went away with a group of people up the Blue Mountains and one guy had a 246.

Parked it outside with all the other cars.

Then we went for a drive back into town one day and you should have seen how this car stopped traffic. My god!!! Nearly every person that walked down the footpath stopped and looked it over before continuing on their way. Old or young, it didn't matter. Such is the aura of a Ferrari.

Oh, how I would love a Dino. *sighs*

Darren

dogboy:
    forgot to mention...working in a Ferrari workshop I got to drive...355 targa roofed,246 dino,a queen mary V12,348(boring),328's of various types
    and moved! a 356 daytona...of course there was the odd maserati to move as well..
    drooled over some rare V12's but was not allowed to drive them!! bugger..had Nicole Kidmans 956??
    cheers! citroen_
    You know, talk like that should get you banned too wink
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Warwick, the exhaust note, on the 360's is really something above 5000rpm ha?!!
    I've had several blats in the car park at work of a 360 Spider and man its loud in a under-ground car park!!
    What did you think of the tiny reverse selector? i thought i was going to break it, but feels tough once you use it.
    I also liked how the car goes into N neutral when you open the doors, good safety, incase you forget to pull on both paddles.
    How cheap do the window buttons feel compared to the rest in the cabin.... but it didn't matter. the motorbike like exhaust note was almost enough for me...
    Several times i thought about sneaking it out around town and just fuc#@ng my job off, who cares a 360 Spider around sydney for 1 night, worth my job???......mmmmmmmmmm....
    The same set of guests also own a 360 Challenge, a 355 F1-GTS,(both spider and 355 are yellow) and a red DINO..... what a collection.
    I just druel sometimes at work.
    Once on the drive i had a Light blue 360 Spider, a dark blue Bentley, a black SL55 Merc and a orange GT3!!!, farrr rout were's my camera ahy!..
    cheers
    Xq

ps, also i like the GTA 156 alfas!! nice too.
    ... ptui!

Cal
    dogboy:
    ..had Nicole Kidmans 956??
    cheers! citroen_
    Probably not. The 956 is a Le Mans car. wink 356 maybe?

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

nJm
    Or more likely a 959. Awesome cars. I think they were Porsche's first AWD?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

993 I think...last model before the water cooled version
    Andrew mallet cheers! citroen_
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger!
    I was on the way to the loacl cafe near my house and there was a 308 out the front of it....I sat down and a girl was bragging about her ride in a porsche when she had finished the older man looked at her across the table and said with the most dead flat voice "its a ferrari"....

[add sound of deflating balloons]

hahaha - I laughed out loud - could help myself - it was very funny.

My girlfriend couldnt/wouldnt let herself understand but I thought it was funny - actually I thought my interceptor was cooler...

Thread Information