PSA HDi engines
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: PSA HDi engines

PSA HDi engines

Guys,

Advertisement

Apparently in Oz we only get the 90hp diesel 307 and in UK they also get choice of 110hp ones.

What is the difference between these 2 engines. Beside the obvious power difference.

Someone has told me that the 90hp one doesn't have a intercooler. Is that true??

Cheers
    Billy peugeot_
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

UFO
    BW205:
    Guys,

Apparently in Oz we only get the 90hp diesel 307 and in UK they also get choice of 110hp ones.

What is the difference between these 2 engines. Beside the obvious power difference.

Someone has told me that the 90hp one doesn't have a intercooler. Is that true??

Cheers
    Billy peugeot_
    Mechanically they are different - not sure of the details, but the real issue is that the diesel fuel in Aus is low grade and would screw up the high output engines - there would also be about an $8000 price difference in Aus.

Until the fuel in Aus improves (which is happening) AND the market for diesel passenger vehicles increases (also slowly happening) we will have buckley's of seeing the 2.2l PSA HDi and their ilk here.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts
    The 2.0L engine is available in a 110bhp version as well UFO

BW205, UFO is correct... our diesel fuel is very poor quality (high levels of sulphur) and would damage the higher powered diesel engines.

BP has already released their Ultra Low Sulphur diesel (50ppm) here: <a href="http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuels/bp_ecoultra/eco.asp" target="_blank">http://www.bp.com.au/products/fuels/bp_ecoultra/eco.asp</a> but the Australian Government has been rather slow to enforce low sulphur diesels... the requirement for these 'new' diesels is that they be on the market by 2006 snail I buy a fair bit of diesel and haven't seen a single bowser in Sydney branded with 'low sulphur' diesel. I did see a few at Victorian servos in February.

Derek.

Yes, the 110HP HDI engine has an Intercooler whereas the 90HP version does not.

The 90Hp engine can easily be chipped to 110HP (still without an intecooler) and the 110HP engine there is a chip that gives 127HP!
    BX 1.7TD TZD 1993
    Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi 2004

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    the same as the engines used in the 306 and the 405
    the 405 has an intercooler where as the 306 doesn't
    apparently the sound deadening in the 306 compared to the 405 is quite noticable as well in the diesel variants
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thanks for the responses.

I am thinking more and more about getting a diesel. But the only drawback is their acceleration.

Is it hard and expensive to chip a diesel??

I thought BP is bringing in the low sulphur diesel by end of the year in Queensland.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Tadpole
    I have a 94 405srdt (180K kms) It is turbo intercooled. This motor is identical to that used in the 306xtdt of 95/96 (I regularly also travel in a 306xtdt)except for the mechacincal injection system.

The 405 has a German Bosch system.
    The 306 has the British CAV Roto system. Both motors are turbo intercooled.

As for accelleration, The first couple of metres are less than spectacular, bur when the turbo comes "on song" at about 2250rpm the the seat punches the spine and the car moves all the way through to about 4200rpm before peaking at 4900.(2800 rpm gives 110Km in 5th). I regularly top th fuel tank with about 50l after 700 - 800Km.
    Hill climbing is where these old diesels excell.

The only way to judge them is to get your bum into the drivers seat and have a good drive of one or two or three. (have been known to leave v8s for dead on some of the F3 climbs when accellerating from about 100Kph).

Ihave also driven a 307 Hdi. It is quicker of the mark but a lot smoother (neck brace not needed ) but produces the results.
    Try a PSA peugeot_ citroen_ Diesel, then Buy a PSA peugeot_ citroen_ Diesel

mallet
    Philip 40405040306

cool....I have always been told that moving off in 1st gear in a diesel, a pushbike can beat it off the mark...but when snatching it into 2nd gear you leave everyone behind (and a lot of black smoke.....heheh)

I just been to the FCD at UQ last weekend, and the Citroen being able to raise the suspension on harsh roads is good because the jobs involves me going to place where there is no sealed roads and middle of nowhere.....hmmm....I am tossed up between a 307 HDi or a C5 HDi (but C5 only in auto form)

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

XTC
    What ever happen to the HDi engines that dropped a cylinder when cruising ? I thought this was a great idea, was it only VW that tried it ? Awesome way to save fuel.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts
    BW205:
    and the Citroen being able to raise the suspension on harsh roads is good because the jobs involves me going to place where there is no sealed roads and middle of nowhere.....hmmm....I am tossed up between a 307 HDi or a C5 HDi (but C5 only in auto form)
    Billy,

Did you actually ask about this? I'm not sure with the C5, but I know that with the XM you are NOT allowed to drive the vehicle above snails pace at any suspension setting other than the standard height. This means that you can raise the car to ease it through a big rut, or up and down gutters etc (we used to do this routinely with our XM, used to get it parked in at work here) but I know you were not supposed to drive at speed with it away from the normal setting.

Do keep in mind that the C5 rides higher on rough roads at low speed than it does above 110km/hr (or is it 120km/hr) on hard surfaced flat roads.

The biggest advantage of diesels for you would be range. 1300km + range in both those cars!

Derek.

nJm
    I think the guy at the Melbourne FCD said the C5 will do 40km/h on maximum height?

The actual Citroen website says:

Above 110kmh Nose drops by 15mm and tail drops by 11mm, re-sets at 90kmh (where permitted).

Poorly Surfaced Roads Nose and tail rises by 13mm up to 70kmh and then re-sets.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information