406HDi pollution control problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 406HDi pollution control problem

My 2001 406 HDi Pollution Control problem light is ON and the engine dies under even medium accelerator pressure. There is no water in the fuel filter but the rest is a mystery and no diesel mechanic will touch it apart from a dealer. I cannot get it looked at for at least a week and am concerned that it may be damaged by driving it till then. Is there any qualified comment or similar experience out there please?

UPDATE AUG 04 - The problem fixed itself after a week, then came back for several days and, following a tank refill has not occurred since. A competent dealer checked the computer and there were no fault latches set. A bit of a mystery, possibly fuel but?? The common rail diesels may be good but there seems to be very few experienced mechanics out there.

Advertisement

My 2003 206 Pollution Control Warning light has recently flashed on intermittently, I have been advised by a dealer that the fuel in some areas of NSW can be a problem.
    Last edited by ANDREW GIBBS; 29th August 2004 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Update

Tadpole

Icon4 406 HDI Polution light

Heh Andrew,

Exactly the same problem I'm experiencing with my 406 HDI right now!

Has your problem reoccurred?? Did you fix it?
    It seems only to happen when going up a hill, the light flickers and power drops right off. It then sorts itself out after a few kms and the light goes out.

I would be realy interested in your experience/any remedy etc.

Cheers,

Andy

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Andkor
    Heh Andrew,

Exactly the same problem I'm experiencing with my 406 HDI right now!

Has your problem reoccurred?? Did you fix it?
    It seems only to happen when going up a hill, the light flickers and power drops right off. It then sorts itself out after a few kms and the light goes out.

I would be realy interested in your experience/any remedy etc.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi

Sounds similar to the problem my father had last year with his 406HDI. It turns out the cat. was blocked due to the shit diesel we have here. According to the dealer who fixed it, when the cat is starting to block, the exhaust gases start to back up, and the engine mangement system thinks there is a problem with the turbo, and puts itself in "limp home" mode. After a while it resets itself and carries on as normal for a while before going through the same series of symptoms again.

New cat (under warranty even thoiugh the warranty had expired a couple of months previously) and so far no problems.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Tadpole

Default 406 HDI polution controll...

Thanks Kiwi!

That is begining to make sense, I've got it booked with Melb. City Peugeot on Thursday morning and keen to see if anybody had experienced a similar problem.

Loosing power under load may well be gass building up and the sensors shutting down. Cats arnt cheap though are they???

Cheers,

Andy

Tadpole

Icon11 406 HDI engine management - Update!

I took the car to City Peugeot on Friday and after much mucking around they discovered that the air meter had an open circuit and the resistor circuit was blown.
    The Air Meter regulates the air to fuel mix supplied to the engine - it was running quite rich. Which is why the exhaust was well sooted up. They told me that the excessive soot would have caused backpressure under load/acceleration, the engine management system would have sensed this and shut down power...which is exactly what I was experiencing -along with average consumption.
    So we had a wedding to get to in the Central Highlands and they told me it would take awhile to blow out all the soot and the EMS to stop tripping the power cut. They told be to stop and restart the engine (reboot) if that happens. So a fairly frustrating drive up ( as it did do the drop out a few times) and it felt like it was getting progressively better. On the trip home it was fantastic. Plenty of power blasting up the biggest of hills with no problem . Fuel consumption is now also great, I've got over 870kms done with 1/4 of a tank to go - previously I was getting ~700 a tank.

We have a trip to the farm this weekend, if I have any further issues I'll update this.

All up it was:
    Air meter device $264
    Gasket meter device $1.70
    Labour $135

Cheers

Andy K

Thread Information