Curb hopping
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Curb hopping

Curb hopping

Someone put a gutter infront of me when i was driving down a service road last week disappro

Advertisement

I hit the gutter at about 50 km/h so needless to say ive done a bit of damage. Apart from my strut tower being stretched 1/2" taller (the shocker actually dented my bonnet!!!!) and a mangled wheel, my hub now has play. When i drive the car, there's a whining noise and a smell of metal against metal.

Whats most likely damaged there? Bearing? Ive gotta get an idea on what i have to change by the week end because i plan on doing some panel beating on the weekend...... spanner spanner spanner cry

Thanks guys

Could be a number of things, id look at obvious things such as brakes, shafts, steering arms, sway bars, the wheel its self, were things are rubbing will be a little more obvious coz hopefully there will be two shiny surfaces were there has been some rubbing
    Drive slowly with a friend standig outside the car and see if you can determine were its coming from.
    Take care with brake items, also make sure none of the break lines have been wedged up against something,..
    did you get the details of the curb.. silly things really. cheers mate Xq
    ... ptui!

renaulturbo:

I hit the gutter at about 50 km/h so needless to say ive done a bit of damage.
    Get a 504 or 505. They laugh at all gutters except the rare 20cm+ versions.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

That's a pain.

I would just put it up an a hoist, maybe ask a mechanic nicely if you can borrow a hoist for 5-10 mins and get a lamp and give it a really good inspection under there, then you know what you have to do and what is broken.

I rember hitting a curb at about 50km/h or a tad quicker, except I hit it fully side on (I was still at school driving an old Mazda 121..and yes I was sliding sideways) I mounted the curb, both hubcaps fell off and I buckled both rims a bit (not too bad, tyres were ok) When I dorve it off the curb and up the street I relised I had to have almost full lock to turn slightly left, half lock to drive straight and just straighten the wheel up to turn right and the car wouldn't turn a hard left to save itself... the car was driving on all 4 wheels forwards, but the car seemed to be moving slightly on an angle. rofl. I bent the suspension a bit infact it was a fair bit. lol It still to this day has been my only accident on the road, hope it to be the last too wink oh apart from 5 years later I clipped a guys door as he swung it open infornt of me and took off my miror and dented my door a tiny bit.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Administrator
    davemcbean:
    renaulturbo:

Dave
    Pugeot 504/505 + 50kph + Normal Victorian 15cm gutter.......Go try it and see

Then see who's laughing......

P.S...I'll call the tow truck now to save you the trouble

davemcbean:
    renaulturbo:

Dave
    The damage would have been less had i still had stock springs (compressed springs added to the severity of the impact, i would say disappro ).

Wouldnt there be a straight forward answer to the wheel wobble? when i grab the wheel from the top/bottom or from both sides and try and shake, there is quite a bit of play question

renaulturbo

Wouldnt there be a straight forward answer to the wheel wobble? when i grab the wheel from the top/bottom or from both sides and try and shake, there is quite a bit of play question [/QB]
    Not 100%, but like i said, imno 105 genius on Ren's.
    Could be anything from loose strut to, broken bearing, hub split/crack, ball joint split, etc, id also check all steering arms, also the mounting point from strut to hub.
    good luck. Xq
    ... ptui!

mistareno:
    Pugeot 504/505 + 50kph + Normal Victorian 15cm gutter.......Go try it and see

Then see who's laughing......

P.S...I'll call the tow truck now to save you the trouble
    I wouldn't have said it unless I had already tried what you suggested, more than once and come off completely unscathed (but it wasn't on Victorian gutters). I've also crossed railway tracks, but only at about 20km/h and that was in a 404.

The trick is you need atleast 125mm of sidewall height in the tyres. You also need good sidewalls so they don't pinch themselves on the rims and develop a blister which will blow out after a while (been there done that). The shoulder profile of the gutter also has alot to do with it. The 15cm gutters commonly found around western Sydney have nicely rounded shoulders. The older parts of inner Sydney have nasty square shouldered gutters and some are as high as 30cm. I wouldn't try any of the square shouldered type at anything above walking pace.

Regardless of the gutter type, with low profile tyres the rim will dent badly, the strut will bend and all the damping oil will pump out within a few kms (been there, done that too), but you still won't need a tow truck.

Please don't try this with any other type of car boys and girls. 504s/505s have VERY thick walled struts and castor bushes with ALOT of longitudinal compression which allows such stunts. 504 and 505 IRS equipped sedans also have close to 50/50 weight distribution which allows them to jump reasonable distances without the nose dropping and spearing into the ground. I've only tried small jumps myself, but I have witnessed others jumping much further than myself. Hampton khanacross track is an excellent place to do jumps if anyone else wants to try.

Dave

<small>[ 08 July 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I have a story for you that is totally insane but it's true.

I was showing my mate my 206 (he was thinking about getting one) It was parked in my driveway, I put the gear nob into neutral, started it up and let it run....he looked at car bla blah, then I turned it off.

Well we got chatting, then he said, yeah start it up again, so I did, turned the key...the car bunny hoped forward (whilst I wasn't looking he put it back into gear, I thought I still had in netral) well to my surprise the car didn't stall and ran away from me along the drive, it mounted a 45-50cm high retaining wall and knocked down my neighbours fence iron fence, drove through their yard, over some low rose bushes and came to rest on and incline where it FINALLY STALLED!.... the car when it went over the 45-50cm wall jumped up because even the front guaurd was too low to clear it!!! I thought "F*&K!!" ran to the car, the rims were fine, the tyres were fine and the front guard was fine bar 2 tiny little scratches on it.

I drove the car round the block, put it throuh it's delicate paces, all seemed to steer and handle fine. 2 days later I took it too a mechanic mate, put it up on the hoist and no problems at all, no damage at all and a bit of touch up paint from peugeot fixed the bumber.

I would have thought the car would have been screwed, I mean if you had have been there and seen the path of destruction the run away 206 eft behind it you would be left scratching your head too...

ANYWAY! Its had it's 60,000km service at the dealer about 2 weeks after that and the pug' guys say "gee it's in good nic' your car...like the exhaust, blah blah." engine runs well, still original pug' GTi rims and nohting ever broken, hehehehe am happy wink
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

God how awful for your car to do that-lucky its french and such good quality.. . snail

Yeah my friends were amazed. they call my car a "tank" now. hehehe

Infact I was sitting at the traffic lights about 6 months ago and the person in a Dihatsu Charade who was infront of me had her reverse lights on. I gave a quick brief polite toot to let her know she was in reverse, but just 2 seconds later the lights went green, she dropped the clutch and backed right into the front of my car!!! The dude in the ute behind me got out and was pissing himself laughing anyway there was not even a scratch on my car, I mean nothing! I looked as closely as I could, I examined every microscopic millimeter of the front of my car and could not find any damage to it...her charade on the other hand had a lovely dent the shape of my front bumper embeded into her rear hatch, she was going to need some serious panel beating! And that once again left me scatching my head
    I mean what do Peugeot make their cars out of?

My mate works at a panel beater in Balgowla and he was in the car with me, he couldn't find any damage either but said the charade would cost a good $1,000 to get repaired at the least! lol teach her to check what gear she is in wink
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Dave wrote:
    I wouldn't have said it unless I had already tried what you suggested, more than once and come off completely unscathed (but it wasn't on Victorian gutters). I've also crossed railway tracks, but only at about 20km/h and that was in a 404.
    Timing matters a lot here too. If you are on the brakes when you hit you will do far more damage than if you are not. If you find yourself unwillingly in a situation like this the trick is to come off the brakes and onto the power at the very last second (then back onto the brakes before you hit something else )

But Dave is right. 404's, 504's and 505's (and to some extent 403's and 203's) make anything else short of a serious 4x4 or a DS look silly when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 09 July 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information