WHY?aren't more people restoring classic french??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

WHY?aren't more people restoring classic french??

I WAS JUST WONDERING...I went and saw a D special on the weekend (for sale, im looking to buy one)this one is in east st kilda and for a car that the owner is looking to get somewhere around $2-$3K i found it STRANGE that there isn t more INTEREST in these cars...i have just started looking for a ds to buy and i m considering purchasing the above ds and what I D LIKE TO KNOW is what your opinions are on RESTORING and keeping older cars...it seems these days everybody is interested in the latest and best but THEY r not nowhere as interested in buying and restoring older cars (as a collectible or a special weekend car)...We all seem to be RAVING on about how much we love some of the older french (no matter which brand) but you see so many perfectly restorable oldies on the road....ARE WE ALL going to sit on our buts and whatch them rust away????strange...
    we are not talking huge sums of money either...some people spend more money on antique furniture than it would cost to restore some of these cars....i just dont believe 404s, 504s ....hell even r12s etc etc,,,should be driven to the ground and than sold for scrap....
    i know this is a very broad comment but i d be really interested to know WHY people are not restoring more and AM I WRONG in thinking that most of these cars are not worth restoring as the
    general public seems to be shifting down the disposable road to the extent that our sons and daughters will not know a spark plug from a muffler....we r concerned about our heritage buildings, others JUST LOVE the antique furniture, people collect and restore all kinds of things...but older vehicles????i m just getting a bit frustrated seeing the old holden EHs and Dspecials sit in yards till they r virtually beyond the point of no return...

cheers
    dino

Advertisement

[ WARNING GRAMATICAL ERRORS WITHIN ]

sure completly agree with you..

it does seem quite wierd as we are quite pro-active in many ways looking after hertitge buildings that suposeably reflect our past cultural influences.. But Automobiles should be dam well up there to..

For these are in most cases a direct result of socity and cultural change on us.. and unlike Designed buildings.. are updtated with every model change
    and can cleary show the way, progression of society.. and western culture as a whole...

I do whimper when i see rusted out 504's sitting at teh wreckers and would just love to take them all home..

lets start a SAVE The 504.. or even 404 fund wink

idealy a simpleir way.. Restor some to competiton class and enter local car club days.. Win races.. and give teh 504 the Prestiges, honour and respect it deserves..

we just wont tell them bout teh 13b turbo lying under the hood head_ban

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

I agree there should be more Froggy classics restored but I think it's the old story of xenaphobia (please explain) mallet people scared of the uncommon/unknown things as well as the "legends" about difficulties working on them.
    It's strange, but at our place we have a reverse situation; I'm presently having to pay someone to work on a Ford due to no one in our house prepared to work "on one of those [email protected]#$%^&*! things!!!!" yet happy to spend hours working on Cits.
    I think the other big drawback is that to do a proper restoration, you need enough space to keep 1 or 2 wrecks or donor cars as the biggest problem can be acessing parts at a price making the restoration unviable even in the long term & taking the project out of someones price range.
    Nothing gives me the S.ugarH.oneyI.ceT.ea'S as much as someone wanting to sell a car for $300 and then wanting $500 for a few minor components if they decide to wreck it based on the fact that "Old George's car wreckers down the road would want $550 for the same bits." and then come out with the standard classic that if someone doesn't buy the car and/or all the bits, they'll throw the lot down the tip.
    Once there's a change in mentality & attitude, then the situation might change.
    I can at least say I put my money where my mouth is; we presently have 2 BX 16Vs and two CXs under restoration; both BXs were write offs, one is now re-registered whilst the other is being redone as a track car (due to being a statutory write off) whilst one CX is a bare metal bare shell restoration which will eventually be fitted up with 2.5 GRi mechanicals & electronics whilst the other is an ex Concourse winner that had $5500 spent on the mechanicals just prior to our purchase from Sydney. dance

There are some good buys && good cars available for restoration as well as use but space is a problem; I'm on 5 acres & am fast running out of trees to park them under a well as a garage 40ft X 30 plus car port; all full.

About time somebody else apart from me started buying a few I reckon. cry dance

Alan S 2_cents
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Did anyone see the article in the heraldsun on saturday that was about this old dude talking about his 1972 Mercedes 600 Grosser limousine and a brief story on the restoration?

When im a bit older,wiser and and have money to throw, i'll be restoring a classic for sure. There's nothing like a classic car. That Mercedes 600 this guy was showing off made me drool.

I was gonna go see it yesterday at a Mercedes car day in Dandenong but my bloody alternator is playing up again dead . Did anyone go?

Classics not plastics

nJm
    Ah yes, the European Car Day, is meant to be one of the better 'motor shows' around in Vic, and is similar to the All French Day we had at Essendon I think. I didn't get to go, but Pug505Exec went I think.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

I'm doing my best...... Really I am .......

Between me & my father we now have not trees at all left, Ang gets VERY stressed if I even hint at the fact I might look at an old Citroen somewhere. And lets face it, there's only so many cars one person can have.

Me I'll be happy when I have:

1 very nice CX GTi turbo (daily car 1) You need one with a bit of grunt, to drag the others home with dance .
    1 CX2400 pallas (club rego).

1 DS21 ie pallas (daily car II) --you need two you see when there this old incase one breaks down spanner wink
    1 early DS19 (club car, it's to rare to risk in the daily traffic ).

1 modern car to keep Ang happy that she can drive :

that'll keep me happy. Of course between me & my father I've lost count of how many Cit's we have. They just keep multiplying while I'm not looking roll_lau

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Economics come into as well. I have a quandry at the moment WRT fixing up my R17TS.

The car really needs a new paint job, plus a repair to a damaged hatch & bumper. I've just spent a few hundred on fixing worn bearings etc. in the gearbox.

But I'm finding it hard to justify spending maybe an additional $2K to $4K on a car which will really only be worth maybe $3K if I sold it.

Doesn't mean I don't want to, it's just hard sometimes to convince myself that the money is well spent.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Hey Europa,

It's simple, you fix the car up, then don't sell it. That way how much it's worth has no bearing on anything roll_lau roll_lau

I'd rather spend $5000 on an old Renault 15 and get it right, than spend $14,000 on a Hyundi to drove for the next 3years

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Dino,

I think that there are people putting their money into some cars - I have seen Ds that have had a LOT of money put into professional restorations - and which will not be worth what the owners have spent for many years!

However it all depends on what you are looking at - the Pug 504 is a very nice car, but unless it happens to be a Convertible or Coupe is not really ever going to be worth a great deal.

Even with Citroens, as Alan points out cars like CXs and GS (which in my opinion is technically the most interesting Citroen - and the last 'real' one) are not worth much - look at the guy who tried to get over $30K for the CX Turbo 2 - you can still hear them laughing!

At the risk of being controversial I could say that most Renaults and Pugs of the 60s and 70s were interesting, but not what you might call 'outstanding' cars - the R16 is probably the best of that lot - but suffered in this country by being locally (and not all that well) built. (And the engine layout copied the D, with the styling stolen from a Citroen prototype!! whip ) These cars are only ever going to be of interest to a few devotees like us.

'Special' cars like Gordinis are probably not in this category - but the few real ones are being hoarded by their owners or have already been restored.

People who spend a fortune on restoring a 1965 Holden (and some do mallet ) do so because this represents something important to them - far fewer people in this country attach such significance to French cars of the same period.

Just out of interest this ad appeared in Saturday's SMH -

PEUGEOT 504 Cabriolet Very rare 1972 4 seat convertible. Unfinished project, currently with professional car restorer, over $50,000 spent, bargain asking $25,000 o.n.o. Phone 9960 4678
    I am wondering where one might spend that much on a 504 - even one with Pininfarina bits!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

DoubleChevron:
    Hey Europa,

It's simple, you fix the car up, then don't sell it. That way how much it's worth has no bearing on anything roll_lau roll_lau

I'd rather spend $5000 on an old Renault 15 and get it right, than spend $14,000 on a Hyundi to drove for the next 3years

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Fair comment, but I defy you to say that you haven't pointed at an "overly" restored 30 year old car and say "why would you spend that much money on that piece of crap"

It's hard to even justify the cost to oneself sometimes (let alone my partner in life - thankfully she's pretty OK with it! )
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!
    I agree Paul, I find it hard to see where $50K could go on a car like that, but if someone gets everything done professionally to concours standards the costs are horrendous, such as the $18,000 being charged by the Healy Factory for a concours paint job,

D's that are restored are now bringing 15k to 25k, which makes the restoration of these somewhat economical, and looking around there are some d's being restored, most of which only come out for club events and shows, which is why it may seem few none are being restored.

Until various renaults and peugeots begin to be sold at high prices, it will continue to be the very keen that restore a car because they like it regardless of the cost.

another factor must be the roadworthy check standards, as i am finding out, the inspection in victoria now demands that an old car be in showroom condition as new to pass, there is the impression that vic roads is trying to force older cars off the road, this will be a deterrant to people restoring cars.

nJm
    On the vicroads thing, definately. A few friends of mine with old cars (well early 80s), both french and other have found getting a roadworthy hard and quite expensive. The previous owners of my car were obviously good friends with their local mechanic, as my 505 passed roadworthy last year with non functioning rear brakes and very worn rear tyres eek! . They did however get a new windscreen, steering wheel and gearknob (rubber all worn away).

Someone came up to me at the petrol station this week and said they thought I had a great car, and it was good to see one in that condition. I guess for an early 505 my car looks well cared for. Everything that is black on the outside is always black and shiny, it has all the original wheel trims and so forth. And considering over the past year I've spent around $3500 on mechanicals I think it is fair to say it is almost restored Only thing left is to respray the bonnet .

Thing is, after all this, even if I can advertise my car as having A1 condition mechs, immaculate interior and v.g. exterior, I could still only sell it for around $4k at the very most , I think I'll keep it for quite a while.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

It basically boils down to what you want out of a car. Do you see it as a mode of transport or is it more than that? Is it an expression of yourself?

With my 205GTI, its got good mechanicals but the exterior isn't perfect. But who cares? From a distance it looks great. Its not until you get up close to it that you can see it has a few problems. Now I don't propose to spend a single cent on the exterior. I've taken all the interior out only leaving the 2 front seats. To a lot of people it looks like crap. But to me its the racer that I want it to be.

I plan on spending heaps on the mechanicals though. Thats what I bought it for, to be a track car, that is still registered that I can take on drives when I want as well.

I, personally, don't see the point in restoring a car to such a degree that you do not want to drive it because it may get dirty or your scared of scratching it etc. If you spend that much money I'd want to drive it. Thats what my car is for, to be driven.

But, everyone is different. Lots would say its a waste spending the amount of money I will on a car that looks average.

Each to their own.....

Darren

<small>[ 31 March 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: YEL020 ]</small>

I forgot to mention that one should never restore a car with the intention of getting a good proportion of those outlayed funds back when you sell it. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!!!

If you cannot afford to say BYE BYE to those $$$$ you wish to spend on the car then don't do it. This is a general statement and there are exceptions.

Darren

u r right, ofcourse...horses for courses....i ve got a 205gti as well and have fixed many things on it myself already and i believe its still a fine car....its just that i cannot help but think that a well restored 404 or 504 still make for very good modern motoring...i saw a beautifull metalic green 504 a few days ago...and geez it looked sensational in the traffic sorounded by the camrys and falcons (although the same could apply to lets say a gtho)..so what freaks me out is why so many men and even ladies go out and buy NEW and disposable (which cost just as much to service if not more)cars when for half the money they could be driving a reasonably well restored merc, pug or even a torana...(yes i know a torana hasn t got much style compared to many other cars but hell at least you can still by most service parts for it at K mart)...my point is that there are a lot of old cars out there that have so much class and character (many of which we have grown up with)and majority of the population seems to be doing nothing about it....it wont be long before the only place we ll be able to see some of them will be at the movies or the shows and museums...they deserve to be fixed and driven on our roads...

cheers
    dino

ps...agree with shane on money issue....i m doing it not because i want to profit from the car but because i profit from the experiance.....
    pss...by the way...i ve restored an old merc almost fully (250)and believe it or not most of the hard work was done by me..ie..parts taken off/parts cleaned/parts polished or painted ...with resto jobs ...labour is more important than money needed for parts replacement or cost of paint...
    psss...also note that some people will LOOSE the cost of a very good classic the moment they drive their BRAND NEW vehicle from the showroom...(no matter what make or model)....on another note (eclectic thinking i know) ...but has anybody seen the hyndais new add for the accent...THE BEST JUST GOT BETTER...yeah rightttt...

darren brings up a good point as well...ie....SOME PEOPLE WILL LOOOSEE THE COST OF SOMETIMES MORE THAN THE PRICE OF A NEW HYNDAI WHEN THEY TRY AND SELL THEIR RESTORED CLASSIC...again there are exceptions...as there are certinly cases where people have made money as well...but like darren says that should not be the primary reason behind the excercise....

cheers
    dino

I really think that some are talking at cross purposes here.
    Are we talking "restoring" or "rebuilding/reconditioning"?

If the former, then we are talking almost showcar standard and something that will end up being a Sunday driver or used as a display piece and effectively someone's full time hobby. snail
    If the latter, then it's a case of keeping it at a standard that even some bright idea thought up by a dodgy politician after he/she has been suitably bribed by the motor industry won't really affect. deal
    In neither case should the overall cost be a determining factor although in the latter, a comparison between the cost of purchase, interest, routine service and depreciation is usually considered as a reason to opt for this style & mode of transport. 2_cents
    Theories about what kind of car will appreciate in value are really just that; I can remember when a Harley, Indian or Army B.S.A. Motor bike pulled 15 pounds ($30) as did a Chev 4 or a Rugby or Mystery Overland rag top tourer. I also sold or traded a Graham Paige for about 100 quid because "nobody wants one a them bloody orphans."
    How many do you wish you had in the garage now?

Alan S wink
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

lets say we r talking about restoring to a level where the car becomes a HEAD TURNER but may not be tottally imacualte..ie concourse...hell i m not really interested in a concourse resto either...fix what needs fixxing...polish what needs polishing ...paint what needs painting...but try and make the car look good and worthy to an acceptable budget....anybody who pays somebody else 5-10k for a paint job cannot really be given the credit for the restoration (bit of a wank really)as the paint might make 80% of vehicle asthetics...so really somebody else made it look good!!!....me...i m going to paint my own....

cheers
    dino...

YEL020:

I, personally, don't see the point in restoring a car to such a degree that you do not want to drive it because it may get dirty or your scared of scratching it etc. If you spend that much money I'd want to drive it. Thats what my car is for, to be driven.

But, everyone is different. Lots would say its a waste spending the amount of money I will on a car that looks average.

Each to their own.....

Darren
    Reminds me of a dude that i know...get a load of this character :

As a HSV enthusiast, he took 3 years to find the most original Walkinshaw he could find; original tyres, original radio, 30k something on the clock, the kinda car that dosent get driven in rain. The original owner apologised for wetting the handbook slightly a couple years before!! roll_lau

This guy started his car 4 times last year. When he drives it he never takes it over 2500rpm....he's got a slight oil leak at the back of the engine but he refuses to let anyone touch it/work on it because he wants to preserve the car exactly how it left the Holden factory

He did win second prize for best Walkie in Australia but i think his a bit of a nut...Why not enjoy your car? Take it out every month at least and stretch its legs.

I told him watching your car in the garage all year and only driving it 4 times is a bit like going out with Britney Spears and to say it politely, limiting your sexual interactions with her to 4 times a year!!!!

heheheheh....the guys is a [email protected]@###r....at four times a year car should be considered to be under DRY storage...just imagine all those fluids and rubbers and moving components (no i m not talking about britney spears now)in the walkinshaw...car will be a pile of junk pretty soon...good old cast iron blocks...gotta love them...

cheers
    dino

Dino,

of course you gotta paint your own car. If you don't have the required tools, at least do most of the prep yourself.

I'm in the process of blocking off the small workshop area in my shed. It's the perfect size really. ie: Big enough for me to easily walk around a 'D' bonnet or roof. It's got one window which I'm putting two 8blade fans out of a CX in, with a chute out from them. ie: A primitive sort of paint booth. It's really hard to have a clean area in a shed when you do bodywork. Dust & shit from sanding filler, and stripping panels gets EVERYWHERE !!!. This small area has lined walls & roof, so when I get it blocked off from the rest of the shed, I should be able to get it nice 'n' dust free dance dance

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

dino:
    i just dont believe 404s, 504s ....hell even r12s etc etc,,,should be driven to the ground and than sold for scrap....
    Dino,

I couldn't agree more. This why in the last few years myself and a friend have been stripping cars which are beyond repair, so that we have our own stockpile of hard to get parts in the future, so we can keep driving our 504s for the rest of our lives. We keep almost everything. We now have about 5-7 504s worth of parts and have begun restoring my friend's 1974 504 (which he has had for about 20 years). All the rust (not much) has been cut out and the panels prepared for a respray in Argentinian taxi colours (he is from Argentina), so his car will be instantly recognised by anyone in Sydney's Argentinian community.

I plan to get a 504 to restore myself in a couple of years when I have somewhere to garage it. Unfortunately most 504s will have gone overseas by then, but I have enough parts to restore even a basket case. All I really need is a shell. I've already got every other part twice over in good condition (and many others in OK condition).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    my 2c

Older cars are more:
    - costly to keep
    - cheaper to buy
    - fun to drive
    - hassle to find parts for
    - slow to acceleration
    - fun to over-take in
    - annoying to your partner
    - attractive to everyone else

theyre just more!!!

I dont claim to know alot about cars, however I have had a variety of older cars and just about everyone has an older car that they like and will talk about even if they have never owned an example of it. I think people are just too quick to economically rationalise an older car out of the car buying equation..

I am happy to tell people that I pay more for the up keep of my cars and that I am honestly happy to loose some money for the experience of driving them.. I enjoy it! (maniacal laughter follows).
    I think theyre worth it! and its always nice to spend some quality time with them and satisfying to see them leave me in better condition than when they arrived.

I am lucky to have driven a variety of mercedes from many different periods and I would rather a nice 60 or 70s merc than almost any of the newer mercs of the last ten years - theyre boring!
    I would rate the 60's mercs as close to the most reliable and stylish cars of the era.

<small>[ 31 March 2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]</small>

I have my little collection of 504s too... one that's got a bit much rust to attract much attention (restoration wise) at the moment, but if I can keep it on the road for a few years it might be one of the good ones somebody will be looking for then. The rust is not in the really hard places, fortunately.

There's another that's pretty good, which I will probably progressively do up when I have somewhere to do this, then make it into a nice TI with the bits out of the first, I suppose...

The TI I've just bought needs painting pretty badly, but little else. It will be put into daily use and get a paint job when I can get it done.

The familiale I'm driving I will probably keep on driving for a very long time. It's got a huge mileage behind it, probably 800,000kms, but it's always been looked after and needs little at the moment to bring it up to spec.

Mind you, 'up to spec' for me doesn't mean concours.

Another similar familiale I have has been painted the same colour, but some rust is bursting through again due to having been stored on the Gold Coast in the open. I really don't know what to do with this one... it's not so perfect internally, but not that bad. Rust in the lower rear quarter is the main issue. If I can learn to use the MIG I have it might be easy to repanel it, but the fluted panels might go by the board.

Then there's the old wagon. I had ideas of turning this into a campervan for my many travels.

All of these vehicles will have 5-speed gearboxes and TI engines when I'm using them. A couple of them, including the rough sedan and the rough wagon, will probably do service with my stepsons for a time. Or indefinitely, if that's the way it pans out. As long as they pay the bills...

Biggest issue with restoration, as far as I'm concerned, is being able to do the bodywork yourself. Otherwise it costs a mint. Except for some doortrims, I have sufficient seats etc to do the job.

Picking up wrecks works well... but you need somewhere to keep the stuff. I also (naturally!) have some spare front panels just in case things go wrong... even some spare wagon tail lights.

And I think there's a towbar on every one of them...

I have always been a fan of older cars.
    The newest car I own or have ever owned is my 1980 604, and the oldest is a 1951 Land Rover.
    I am trying to restore the cars I have, but it is difficult when you don't have a decent shed to work in.
    I am lucky enough to have some storage for a few cars on the farm next door, but I have to make do with the driveway to fix my cars on.
    The thing which almost brought me to tears was the driving into the ground of 404s in recent years. Only a couple of years ago one was cut up and dumped on the local tip, along with a Volvo 142 and a solid '62 Falcon ute.
    I got my 404 for free when the bloke who was going to get it for $200 never showed up. I drove it home from the Great Lakes on a temporary permit. My 403 cost $200. Admittedly it was not in very good condition, but after fixing the brakes and electrics it was a good daily driver.
    I always want to spend more than a car is worth, but it can be hard to find $1,000 in new bits only to have to find another $1,000 in a few months time, so I spend what I can.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information