rice question
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: rice question

rice question

not froggy but...
    Just wondering what you guys (and girls) think of the EUNOS ROADSTER? (MX5?)I have seen a few around recently and they look as if they are very cheap to import. I read that they were more torquey than the NA MR2's but not quite as fast in the EVO mag. Said they were a nice car in the comparison between the MR2, SMART roadster and the almighty old ELAN. the 1.8 looks especially nice, although they arent in the 15 year category qas of yet are they? THe V8 would be a beast, basically a little cobra? ^^ Dont know how they fit it all in there?! Anyway, as you guys are pretty savvy with cars and spend time at the track I thought I might just guage some opinion on the little beans? Anyone driven one? lookin forward to hearing what you all think.

<small>[ 03 November 2003, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: purplepugWA ]</small>

Advertisement
    Y^O^Y Banzai

I was under the impression than the Eunos Roadster was simply an MX5 with a bit more luxury, a removeable hardtop, and the same ol 4cyl with a couple more ponies.

As far as I know, they come in from Japan for undeer $10k, and being 1989, (with revisions to the import rules) they'll be eligible for import in late 2004? I think.

Nick

But aren't cars from the Japanese market much newer than that?

I thought four, five or six years old was about the usual...

O.K that is cheap ^^ so how is the MX5? Nice car or not?
    Y^O^Y Banzai

nJm
    IT is generally regarded as one of the more fun soft tops to come out of Japan. I know that many journos love it.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

XTC
    Any age they are pretty much a "fun in the sun" car - the older 1.6 litres units are not a rocket, and have manual steering, but they have a huge following here (even if the summer sun is too oppressive to have the roof done). The WA MX5 club is huge - with a lot of knowledgable members.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Aren't 'the older 1.6 models' still faster than the Elan?

The joy of the journos with this car is that it recaptured all that the Elan set out to do, but did it with more integrity, potentially more durability and at relatively lower cost.

XTC
    Ray Bell:
    Aren't 'the older 1.6 models' still faster than the Elan?
    I doubt it ... but don't know the figures. The 1.6's I've driven didn't feel that fast.

<strong>
    and at relatively lower cost.
    BINGO ... even though they now push the $45K mark ... nothing could compete with a MX5 in the value for money stakes ... numbers purchsed and numers still running is testiment to that. anyway ever seen a rolled MX5 ... no ? Maybe owners didn't dare push that hard - no roof = no head !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Cal
    My father has had a 1989 model since 1991. They are an awesome car. The 1.6 has 85kw. This can be increased too 100kw with the very readily available Loch Stewart kit. In fact most cars in the MX5 club will have this kit. Airbox, extractors and a bigger exhaust. Then put Koni yellows and King springs on it. You will have one of the sweetest and purist handling little sports cars ever designed. Sure there are faster cars, but the balance of these things is suberb.

Cheers,

Cal.

PS They are not quicker than an Elan in standard trim.

<small>[ 03 November 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Cal ]</small>
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

I'm interested in the 15 year rule, a cheapie MX5 would absolutely rock.

Things like this will get pretty popular I reckon;

<a href="http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/details.asp?StockID=743" target="_blank">http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/details.asp?StockID=743</a>

I just don't think I could bring myself to purchase a 15 year old grey import. Especially with a RWD car, too much propensity for it to be absolutely thrased, used for track work (drifting! eek! ), and the Japs seem to treat their cars like sh*t. They're all fairly rough.

Nick

Cal
    By the same token. MX5's have proven to be very robust for such a lightly constructed car.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Fellow Frogger!
    try and find a car that hasn't been thrashed. i've seen cars new and old driven by young and old thrashed.

many people simply don't care as it's not their problem when they trade in/sell the car.

Im sold!! ^_^ Anyone wanna swap a 1.8 MX5 for my pug? hi hi hi. Oh well I will save up I think. I am not big on ragtops though. Thanx for the replies. Cj
    Y^O^Y Banzai

Thread Information