My car came home!!
  • Register
  • Help

My car came home!!

Finally got my poor baby home from WA. It came home mostly intact, but it sporting several greasy marks on the trim from greasy handed truckines driving it on and off the truck, and the front tow hook has been nearly torn off from being tied down with it and it has broken the front spoiler . And a few nasty scrapes on its belly. Not overy happy, but the RACV should come to the party and give me new spoiler - I hope....

And the funniest thing is that the auto box is now behaving itself perfctly - just spent the day driving it about dance . I'm guessing it just doesnt like 500 - 1000 km stints at 120kph and overheats the auto

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

haakon what car is this and where was it coming back from?
    Do tell please, the full story..

Its a continuing saga regarding my R25 and its sulking at being driven to Perth and almost back again...

XTC
    At least it made the WA Aussiefrog cruise ... the ONLY eastern states car to do so (although we did have some other eastern state "nutters" wink make it as well.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts
    *sigh*

If only I'd had more time....

One day XTC!

Derek.

Certainly is an achievement driving from one side of Australia to the other and we met someone that did it from QLD!!!

How's the ol bank account feeling

SYD-PER $119 with Virgin Blue or $155 with Qantas. Expect lots of interesting fares prior to Virgin Blue's float

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

good to hear the R25 went from east to west really well...pity about its lack of return..

the auto box is now behaving itself perfctly - just spent the day driving it about --- - doesnt like 500 - 1000 km stints at 120kph and overheats the auto

Hi Haakon
    Yes this is odd behaviour for an auto trans to rise from the dead!
    Yesterday I was speaking to citroen_ mechanics to see if I could find out more about why BX auto boxes fail (see my thread) and co incidently this is what the ZF autos do when they get hot - they lose drive.
    I wonder if the modern transaxle autos generally have a problem with overheating themselves??
    So many projects - so little time.

Well, I drove to Castlemaine yesterday (70 km), and then down to Melbourne today (another 140 km) and it is driving like a dream!! dance Very odd, but I'm ceratinly not complaining (better not tell the Racv though... )

I did amuse myself this morning pulling the manual trans, pedals, gearlever etc out of the spare car. It will need a new clutch and an oil leak attended to, but the ressurected auto allows me a bit more leisure time as it were to get it all ready, which is very nice.

FWIW, there was a guy in the UK who had similar symptoms to Haakons in his Clio so I forwarded on the info as posted by 604tragic and this is his response. May answer some questions as this guy also works in the transmission business and apparently the failure due to overheating isn't the exclusive domain of ZF transmissions.

"Alan, firstly thanks for the prompt reply. As I said I work in transmissions (JCB) and from your second reply re: the guy temporarily losing drive, I can confirm that auto boxes, torque converters and the ATF oil do not like extreme temperatures in either direction. When it becomes too hot it is incapable of tranmitting the drive as the fluid just shears: and likewise when near frozen it would never be able to lose drive, noticeable by a heavy engagement from neutral to drive.
    Thanks for the advice re fluid levels, I intend to experiment as the Haynes manual is very vague and refers to specific Renault electronic equipment being needed to properly confirm fluid levels. I cannot see that the box is completely gone if drive is intermitent. I will let you know how I go on.
    Thanks
    Keith"

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

danielsydney:
    good to hear the R25 went from east to west really well...pity about its lack of return..
    I'm starting to think that if it had an industrial strength trans oil cooler fitted, it would have happily circumnavigated the country!!
    Would have for sure if I'd done the manual conversion prior to leaving...

But I still believe it is on its last legs (it has to be with 230K km on it). Previous owners took it to Cairns and back down through western Qld/NSW about 6 years ago with out a hiccup, but its clutch plates would have had a bit more meat on them then

<small>[ 05 November 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    R25's have the cooling for the tranny through the radiator ??

easy to fit an external one but the only thing you have to watch for is that during winter the tranny doesn't run too cold as you will suffer the same fate
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

They have an external cooler that runs coolant through it to stabalise fluid temp. Good point re. winter running. The factory setup is very good for most use and for long trips with a healthy box. But with a worn box and the extreme condition of 6 hours straight at ~120 kph (mind you, on the way over it was on the third day on hour 9 that it played up first), things must have got a bit warm...

Sorry to come in this at this late stage auto boxes have been talked about on this forum especislly by me adnauseum should the R25 box overheat that badly though?

I reckon it probably did by being worn and thrashed....

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    you just can't beat a good manual box

more fun
    more economy
    no need to worry about cooling in normal running
    engine runs cooler with a manual as it's not trying to drive while stationary
    all round much better
    autos are only good in taxis (as they are driving through traffic all day everyday) and those that have a dissability that only allows them to have an auto vehicle for transport

oh and i forgot
    some older people need autos to protect those poor clutches from the riggers of been ridden all the way down to the shops and back again
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Haakon,

Just a thought here.
    The BX16V have a problem with running too hot due to the thermo fans cutting in too late. They can be fixd by using a thermo switch off the diesel model which drops the cut in temp about 7 deg.
    I wonder if a worthwhile mod to your car could be something similar thereby keeping the temp at a slightly cooler level in case the heat being attained by the cooling system is just a shade too hot and breaching the limit for the shearing this guy in the UK speaks about? deal

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

that sounds like a great idea, would it work?

Alan S:
    Haakon,

Just a thought here.
    The BX16V have a problem with running too hot due to the thermo fans cutting in too late. They can be fixd by using a thermo switch off the diesel model which drops the cut in temp about 7 deg.
    I wonder if a worthwhile mod to your car could be something similar thereby keeping the temp at a slightly cooler level in case the heat being attained by the cooling system is just a shade too hot and breaching the limit for the shearing this guy in the UK speaks about? deal

Alan S cheers!
    good point, and would no doubt help in traffic, as the R25 does run a bit warm in traffic. But once moving, it runs right on the thermostat opening temp, and was not breaching this point even afetr a few hours of hard running.
    But I think it is well and truly worn out - it started slipping a couple of time this morning from cold. Overheating may have fried the clutchs, but they are permanantly fried now...

<small>[ 05 November 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

Just been to see Ken at Carrevelle. He has a nice Valeo clutch kit (worth the extra dosh, very crisp and light clutchs), some selector shaft seals, linkage bushes, rear main seal, input shaft bearing in the crankshaft. Will need to get flywheel machined, and my reco'd CVs swapped onto the manual shafts. I will clean and repack the front wheel bearings, and trim the strut lower mount thread to give a slightly lower ride height while I'm at it.
    I should be up for a bit under $400 and a couple of days work - and then a lot of more enjoyable and less stressful motoring dance

Thread Information