Any fans of the Tour de France?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Any fans of the Tour de France?

Great to see that Brad McGee has won the Prologue and hence starts the Tour wearing the Yellow jersey. Seeing David Millar coming second despite having the chain slip off was a pretty amazing sight.

Advertisement

I'd love to see the Aussies do well but I'm hoping for a fifth victory for Lance Armstrong - what more can you say about the man?
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

rek
    I think this is where the 'usual suspects' start chiming in :p

I think the only way to get to Armstrong is to break the US Postal team up; I wonder if we'll see some teams almost to the point of working in concert to break up their plans..

There are just too many 'what ifs' surrounding the major contenders to say if there's a clear threat to Armstrong .. Simoni and his recent muscle problems (and the fact he's already done, and won, a grand tour this year), Ulrich and the Coast/Bianchi saga, etc.. then again Armstrong had that crash in the Dauphine race which may or may not affect him ?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I did notice FIAT were the major sponsor and provided cars. You would have thought seen as how it was in France it would have been one of our brands.
    Im surprised that FIAT have the cash to sponsor such an event seen as how they are struggling...

FIAT and Alfa have sponsored it for a number of years now.

Yes, I'm a fan of the Tour

How strong was Ullrich in the prologue?? I've never seen him so fit and lean! He will be a threat, it's great to see.

Shame about today's news, with Tyler Hamilton and Levi Leipheimer out of Le Tour is not good at all for the GC race.

The Points race will be an awesome contest this year. Petaachi is in great form, so is Robbie, and Cooke, and...well, it's going to be exciting, that's for sure!
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

BTW, I think the only reason why McGee rode so fast was because there was a seriously ugly FIAT chasing him :p
    - Lincoln

Unfortunatly i missed the first stage (unless my mother managed to remember to tape, but she was more interested in the tennis probably cry ) but i'm hopeing to catch tonights.

I've been following it for years, i'm always happy to see an aussie get up. Aparently the crash in todays stage is wild, big big mess includeing taking out Armstrong and McGee.

Anyway, i don't think anyone will beat Lance unless he crashes out, but it should be closer this year than the last few have been. I think Simioni will finish second, considering he is climber and not a strong time-trialer, he did very well in the prologue! Can never count out Ulrich though, you have to feel a bit sorry for him, he probably thought he had the race sewn up for years after winning so young, who knew Lance would come back the way he did!

What really annoys me though is that Pantani and Chipo's teams werent included! They are always amazing to watch! I wish SBS showed the other 2 grand tours the same way they show Le Tour. One day ill make it over to see it live, i loved watching the tour down under this year! Was great fun!
    dance head_ban
    Benny

<small>[ 07 July 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: bennymarsh ]</small>
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

I hope Armstrong dosent win the tour a fifth time 'cos that would equal Indurain's 5 tours in a row. I hope he collapses in the mountains

I miss cycling, its a shame Australia isnt big on cycling but then again, its totaly understandable.

Go Beloki!!!

i think cycling is gaining popularity in australia. we'll get there eventually

today's stage was awesome. How good is Petaachi? That guy is incredible!
    - Lincoln

rek
    That crash sure looked nasty. Some high profile names got caught out in it pretty badly, Leipheimer is out of the tour, and Hamilton is vowing to continue as far as he can despite a broken collarbone eek! Armstrong and McGee fell, but no harm done.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

As i missed the first stage, and lost track of cycling after i left uni, did Ullrich end up at CSC?

I love those bunch sprints, its a shame that crash happened because it would have been a good one, but what was a kelme rider so far up the pack in the sprint??? Everone knows they are climbers not sprinters! snail

Anyway, things are looking good for the aussie boys, it's be nice if they could all win a stage! and robbie wins the green jersey again! dance

Benny

Well go Baden Cooke! A Aussie wins a stage and holds the White jersey (best young rider), another is in Yellow and another is in Green! Go Aussies!

Benny, the Kelme rider looks like he would be a sprinter of some kind, he's a big lad! But you can't predict a pedal coming out like that at 55kph plus.

Ullrich is in Team Bianchi, which is the new name for Team Coast after Coast ran into financial problems. He'll take to LA, I'd expect a top 3, but I doubt he'll threaten the GC...but that's a nice position to be in for him, no pressure at all!

<small>[ 08 July 2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

Miguel Injurain was a huge man and he was never a sprinter. The sprinters tend to be smaller and more compact, look at robbie, Stuey, Zabel etc. Chipo is the only HUGE sprinter i can think of who is decent!

Yep, a nice win for Baden, it'd be nice to dominate the tour again this year! But they are getting into the mountains early this year, so there isnt much chance for the aussie boys while the road is still flat! I expect Lance will try and smash them all in the firt day in the alps and sit on his lead for the rest of the tour!

Benny

Some nice french cars on the side of the road also I noticed. wink

bennymarsh:
    Miguel Injurain was a huge man and he was never a sprinter. The sprinters tend to be smaller and more compact, look at robbie, Stuey, Zabel etc. Chipo is the only HUGE sprinter i can think of who is decent!
    Benny
    Ofcourse he wasnt a sprinter; who needs to sprint when your that good??????

Who do you think wins the big races like the Tour, Giro and Vuelta??? Riders who can hold themselves VERY well in the mountain stages and are among the best or the best on time trials to make time on the rest of the field.

Sprinting is a side show, natural sprinters never aspire to win the Tour and the sprints never have a bearing on general classification.

Sprinters will only ever win the classics like the Paris-Nice, Bastogne-Liege and World championship.

I'd disagree that only sprinters win Leige Bastogne Leige. That was won by Tyler Hamilton this year and reading the current RIDE magazine it sounds like a very tough race.

The classics are great though, Paris-Roubaix is an amazing race.

Go Lance!
    - Lincoln

Fellow Frogger!
    shoot me but i'd like to see lance get a series of unexplainable slow leaks in his tyres.... time for a new champion!
    ashleyt

--------
    1993 205GTI Sorrento Green
    1990 205GTI Red - Track Car ("431")

EC:2:02.18, WP:1:16.07, OP 54.27, OPGP 1:28.83, Huntley 32.34

/me shoots Ash
    - Lincoln

renaulturbo:
    bennymarsh:
    Benny
    Ofcourse he wasnt a sprinter; who needs to sprint when your that good??????

Who do you think wins the big races like the Tour, Giro and Vuelta??? Riders who can hold themselves VERY well in the mountain stages and are among the best or the best on time trials to make time on the rest of the field.

Sprinting is a side show, natural sprinters never aspire to win the Tour and the sprints never have a bearing on general classification.

Sprinters will only ever win the classics like the Paris-Nice, Bastogne-Liege and World championship.
    I agree, which is why it was weird this Kelme rider looked like he was trying to win the stage. For them there is no benifit in finishing high in sprint finishes. Kelme has always tried to win a number of the mountain stages.

And you are also right that the race is won by climbers and time trialers. To be quiet honest there are only so many days you can watch the sprinters go at it. Mountain stages are when you get interesting results, luckily we dont have to wait quiet as long this year. The only good thing about sprint stages is the fact the aussies are in with a shot of winning them!

Benny

Ashley T:
    shoot me but i'd like to see lance get a series of unexplainable slow leaks in his tyres.... time for a new champion!
    I'd like to see Lance get his 6 and reitre, but i wish it would happen more quickly cause your right, its starting to drag on. Its boreing knowing who is going to win (ie the indurain years). The interesting years recently were the years Riise, Ulrich and Pantani won becuase you couldnt pick who was going to win those years, and back in the 80's when Greg Lamond won by a few seconds. Those were when the race was interesting!

Not that its not interesting now, but we are all waiting for the inevitability of Lance winning!

Benny

GTI124:
    I'd disagree that only sprinters win Leige Bastogne Leige. That was won by Tyler Hamilton this year and reading the current RIDE magazine it sounds like a very tough race.

The classics are great though, Paris-Roubaix is an amazing race.

Go Lance!
    No i didnt say that only sprinters win the classics, i said:
    renaulturbo:

as in classics are the only races they can aim to win...never the tour.

There's 2 reasons why the maillot jaune never sprints:

1. The risks involved with sprinting (as we've seen the last few days!)

2. Gains in overall classification is next to nothing.

However, all cycling fans would appreciate how the eventual winner of Le Tour is well placed in the polka-dot jersey.... deal

By the way, the Bastogne-Liege is tough because of the terrain - cobblestone and dirt roads, not that there is any hard climbs

yes the cobblestones certainly require a good technique!

the tour is about more than just the GC. I enjoy the points jersey competition. the king of the mountains is a bit of a strange one for me. it's a great honour for the rider, but not nearly as exciting as the green jersey.
    - Lincoln

GTI124:
    yes the cobblestones certainly require a good technique!

the tour is about more than just the GC. I enjoy the points jersey competition. the king of the mountains is a bit of a strange one for me. it's a great honour for the rider, but not nearly as exciting as the green jersey.
    Are you serious? I can understand Aussie cycling fans attention to sprinting as thats the only virtue of Aussie riders....but who can blame'em, its not as if Australia features many 1st and second category climbs to produce a decent climber...

What can you say; there's not one sprinter that can hold his own in the mountains but then again, the majority of good climbers only shine when they're on a gradient. The difference is that champions in the sport (including Armstrong) are always strong in the mountains and on time trials; regardless of their sprinting ability.

Thats why i would rate a climber half a good rider. As a sprinter you would never be aiming to be the best in the world. Just the best in your craft.

And although personally i see more merit in winning the polka-dot jersey than the green jersey, they both enjoy about the same publicity and coverage as each other (in Europe, not in Australia...). How can you compare those flat, boring stages that end with a 3 minute sprint to the line to 3-4 hours of first category climbs where you see how the peloton gradually (or sometimes quickly) reduces in size (usually sprinters drop first ) until only the best survive. A struggle to the line where everyone really shows what they're made of. These mountainous stages (alped'huez, tourmalet etc) are where the favourites make it or brake it.

But let me just say that although i might be bagging the crap out of sprinting, sprinting is an art in itself where timing is the key.

Tadpole
    Just to add some info, Peugeot used to sponsor Le Tour back in the 80's and quiet surprisingly were replaced by Fiat for some reason, I think they renewed their sponsorship a few years ago but it's likely to be the last one.

Spriting is an art in itself, it's just a different style of cycling, like the various track disciplines. Just like the GC, it's a team sport, where the teams contorl the peleton. The tussle for the line is prtty darn good, the way the team can stop anyone breaking away at 70kph and then have somoene like Cipo or Petaachi basically time trial it out to the line, and is so fast that noone can pass him even when they have his wheel, is something i have great admiration for. It's not unlike the difference between marathons and the 100m sprinters in athletics. They're not really comparable, but each are entertaining in their own right.

Cadel Evans and Brad McGeee will be GC contenders in a few years. I don't think it's a bad thing that Lance is winning so much, it's not like he is a Merkxx that won EVERYTHING. He focuses on the tour and does it very well. He showed in Leige Bastogne Leige that he's not too good when he hasn't studied the circuit. He dropped Axel too early there and got shown up by Tyler in the end. I think he's a great cyclist who should be rewarded forhis focus on the tour. But to say he is dominating cycling is a bit off.
    - Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information