Big bandwidth shake-up in Broadband!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Big bandwidth shake-up in Broadband!

Comindico Network switched on this month & is offering unbelievable wholesale data to ISP's for ADSL users deal

When my contract runs up with Optus, they're getting the big A. I'm gonna buy me an ADSL modem approve

Advertisement

Starts at 35gig download per month @ $79.95 (metro)
    Offering a case of Red Bull for the person that can download the most!
    <a href="http://www.suckmypipe.com" target="_blank">http://www.suckmypipe.com</a>

Unlimited downloads. Company mentioned by Pugrambo.
    <a href="http://www.nella.net.au/flatrateadsl.php" target="_blank">http://www.nella.net.au/flatrateadsl.php</a>

Unlimited Again!
    <a href="http://www.ozforces.com/pnews.php?page=home_dsl_prices" target="_blank">http://www.ozforces.com/pnews.php?page=home_dsl_prices</a>

And another!!
    <a href="http://www.txc.net.au/adsl/adsl_pricing.htm" target="_blank">http://www.txc.net.au/adsl/adsl_pricing.htm</a>

Here is the carrier's site:
    <a href="http://www.comindico.com.au/dynamic/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.comindico.com.au/dynamic/index.htm</a>

2_cents snail

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i must say that the comindico network is bloody brilliant
    they have great service and a great system up and running
    i know nella (me bieng an agent) have great customer service
    i'm seriously thinking about flicking over to ADSL flat rate with nella
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts
    Gerry,

Looks good doesn't it.. I've been following the developments with these companies on <a href="http://www.whirlpool.net.au" target="_blank">http://www.whirlpool.net.au</a>

The modems to buy are the Billion ones from <a href="http://www.pcrange.biz" target="_blank">http://www.pcrange.biz</a>

You can buy a one port ADSL modem/router for $179 or a 4 port ADSL modem/router for $249 with a built in 10/100 switch.

Really good value and they've had great writeups!

I think I'll have to do something about Optus too.. just gone over the 3GB limit for this month, gewd it's slow once they cap your speed!

Derek.

Ummmmm.. this is looking good,
    same Deka we've just hit our 3gig limit (love to find a way of verifing usage??) 28k is soooooo sloooow. snail

I guess my Netgear RT314 router/switch becomes redundant with ADSL?? but 35gig limit ummm.. anyone want to buy a 4 port cable router/switch 10/100 :p

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

What's the speed and quality of ADSL? I was talking to someone at the last Peugeot Car Club meeting, and he was telling me about a friend, whose ADSL dies everytime it rains.

Apparently the telephone pit fills up with water and the ADSL goes nuts. I guess, copper wires were never really designed to take masses of data.

Have to say, I hope it's more reliable than Bigpond cable. Frankly, I found their dialup service to be more reliable.

I think you'll see some interesting moves in the broadband market this year

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    What's the speed and quality of ADSL? I was talking to someone at the last Peugeot Car Club meeting, and he was telling me about a friend, whose ADSL dies everytime it rains.
    We have ADSL at work, through Telstra Bigpond and the speed is great, especially compared with the crappy 28.8k connect speeds I get at home. However, reliability leaves a lot to be desired. Regular outages and problems with email at times. A real pain when you rely a lot on email for customer contact.

Customer : "How you received those files I sent you to look at?"
    Support: "Unfortunately we haven't received your files yet. We are experiencing connection problems with our internet provider, and they say won't have the problem resolved until 7.30am tomorrow."

D'oh!

I can't comment on other ADSL providers, but I have a mate going through Netspace, and he seems happy.

Troy.

1000+ Posts
    We've used Telstra ADSL at work for over 12 months now, and never had an outage of any significance that we know of. It's fast, reliable yada yada.

As for reliablity, it doesn't really matter which provider you use, it still goes through Telstra for the 'last mile' between the exchange and your place so I guess if there's something wrong with your line that's where problems could come in.

The funny thing is we've had a bit of line noise (screeching and crackling) on our phone lines when it rains (been fixed now) but the ADSL has always just kept going!

Derek.

Pug307:

Apparently the telephone pit fills up with water and the ADSL goes nuts. I guess, copper wires were never really designed to take masses of data.

Have to say, I hope it's more reliable than Bigpond cable. Frankly, I found their dialup service to be more reliable.

I think you'll see some interesting moves in the broadband market this year
    I agree the copper cable is hardly the best method. but neither is the satelite broadband. The most reliable system is fibre optics but thats harldy viable for the installation and hardware cost would be prohibitive.

If Telstra actually installed their copper infrastructure correctly half the rain related problems wouldn't exist. The satelite is still palqued by the visibility problems specially during strong rain. The other viable provision of data would be through the wireless service.
    On Whirlpool it has been heralded as one of the most promising ways of by-passing Telstra to reach the customers.
    I have ADSL through the Telstra lines and Telstra exchange and I'm using Internode ISP. 90% of the outages are caused by the Telstra Shasta (Nortel) authentication hardware which is totally outside of the Internode's control. One day I will have light (fibre optics) in my home... maybe when I'm ready to retire...

<small>[ 28 March 2003, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

nJm
    Interesting! While my bigpond cable connection has been pretty reliable over the past year, I had a 14 hour drop out last saturday . However, our house seems to frequently go slightly over the 3gb cap, so the internet is costing around $90 per month for us, if not slightly more!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

GreenBlood:
    Ummmmm.. this is looking good,
    same Deka we've just hit our 3gig limit (love to find a way of verifing usage??) 28k is soooooo sloooow. snail

I guess my Netgear RT314 router/switch becomes redundant with ADSL?? but 35gig limit ummm.. anyone want to buy a 4 port cable router/switch 10/100 :p

Cheers
    Chris
    GB probably if we wait a while, Optus will up their limit to stay competitive. They did very wrong by me cutting me off without any warning for 2 weeks for excessive uploads so I canning them regardless

You have the same router as me wink
    It's simply a matter of unplugging the ethernet cable from the Optus modem & plugging the ADSL one in. There may be a few settings & obviously we can't buy a USB type.

This thread came at a good time!

Just last night I started looking at broadband solutions for our new home, to service a LAN of 6 machines with mostly early 20 yo users (read...big downloads)

When we started building, I requested that cable be incorporated into the house, but after looking at the deals these day, who the hell would go with Cable?

We've decided on iiNet 512K, which provides 6Gb peak/6Gb offpeak, and then the speed is shaped after that - which suits us fine. Data between iiNet users is not counted either, which is handy.

Now I just have to work out if we can go wireless on just the one base station. I think there will be a few key rooms that just wont reach

Those Billion Routers look the goods too!

1000+ Posts
    I'm online now on a 7 year old 28.8kbps modem to prove a point.

Optus Cable says they cap you to the equivalent of a 28.8kbps modem if you go over your 3GB cap. Why is it that this old modem is SO much faster than Optus' supposed 28.8kbps cap??? snail

Because we use Optus Cable (which used to include a free phone line - now they charge $25/mth for it), the biggest downside to changing to ADSL is cost:
    1. Need to get a telephone line reinstalled on the Telstra network (approx $175) - it could be with any company eg Telstra, Primus, AAPT etc etc, because our home phone line is currently on the Optus Cable Network which is not ADSL compatible.
    2. Need to pay a $100 - $150 ADSL installation fee
    3. Need to buy an ADSL modem (another $180)

Given the monthly fee stays about the same, that's about a $500 outlay for us to change to ADSL.

Something for all of us to think about anyway!
    Derek.

[EDIT: See point 1 - it can be any phone company as long as the line is on the Telstra network

<small>[ 28 March 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: DeKa ]</small>

My first experience with cable was back in 2000 when my friend got BigPond cable installed. Unlimited downloads but the speed was capped to about 512 I think. I was amazed by the speed and I wanted cable really bad. Then at the end of 2000 another friend got Optus cable, unlimited downloads and unlmited speeds, this was even better than Telstra!

After much convincing of parents, finally got cable in 2002. The plans had changed, now Telstra being on a 3GB limit but having unlimited speeds, and Optus having Netstats based on customer average downloads. Still the Optus deal was much sweeter than the Telstra one so we went with Optus.

Now that the end Netstats is comign up, DSL is looking a lot better, but choosing the right plan is the hard thing. Signign a contract these days isn't really like signing one at all as the ISPs can change the contract half way through! So unlimited downloads turn into limited downloads and extra usage can be counted instead of shaped.

Be weary of these unlimited download DSL plans because they will atract all the leechers and the network might not be able to handle it all. Needless to say, when my Netstat contract expires I'll be changing to DSL, the onyl thing stopping me is not having a Telstra phone line, if only DSL was available over the Optus HFC network frown
    1995 306 XR

Gibgib,
    Yeah I checked the specs on the RT314 and it does support ADSL, might need software in front something like BP Login wink I'll give Optus a chance to come in line before I make a move though.

Macquered, my son had his 16th. birthday a couple of weekends back I had to set up a LAN party for him, four testosterone filled boys played games for 48hrs straight with pizza slipped under the bedroom door at regular intervals (we weren't game to enter the room) eek!

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

DeKa:

Optus Cable says they cap you to the equivalent of a 28.8kbps modem if you go over your 3GB cap. Why is it that this old modem is SO much faster than Optus' supposed 28.8kbps cap??? snail

Because we use Optus Cable (which used to include a free phone line - now they charge $25/mth for it), the biggest downside to changing to ADSL is cost:
    1. Need to get a Telstra phone line reinstalled (approx $175)

Given the monthly fee stays about the same, that's about a $500 outlay for us to change to ADSL.

Derek.
    I'm facing the same problem of moving to DSL. The huge costs of getting phone line etc..

My parents are happy with optus local and tv, so they are willing to go on a 12 month contract for tv and local calls, to get the 100 free calls a onth which basically cancels out the monthly rental. I heard something on whirlpool about optus hooking up with the telstra network and being able to provide DSL as well, don't know when that will happen though.
    1995 306 XR

While this topic's raging, is there anyone out there with an Austar satellite internet hookup?

I would love to know just how good or bad this alternative is.

With the whole package, you get Austar pay TV and the internet for a fairly acceptable monthly fee, but I'm not up to date with it and don't know the ins and outs of the download limits or charges.

It's something I'd like to do if I move to an area where Austar is available. Like the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, for instance.

DeKa:
    We've used Telstra ADSL at work for over 12 months now, and never had an outage of any significance that we know of. It's fast, reliable yada yada.

As for reliablity, it doesn't really matter which provider you use, it still goes through Telstra for the 'last mile' between the exchange and your place so I guess if there's something wrong with your line that's where problems could come in.
    Actually most of the outages we have have been state wide. I ring up their support number and I get a record message saying something along the lines,

"We are current experiencing problems in South Australia, Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland blah blah"

Maybe I am being picky as far as reliability is concerned, but I find 4-5 hour outages during business hours to be very inconvenient.

Troy.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i am going through nella on a dial up at the moment with unlimited hours and downloads and have found it pretty good
    i go through a software router which improves speed but i have been waiting (as i knew the deals were coming) for ADSL for better speed
    the thing i like is i don't have to get another phone line and i will be able to have the phone line available and have the net on at the same time
    obce you get over the initial setup of ADSL the cost isn't much more for ADSL than it is to have a second line
    plus you don't have to dial out and incur a charge everytime you dial
    nella have some great setup deals at times as they did just before xmas but i'll let you guys know when they have some more
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

The Comindico deal may well be magnificent, but from some of the stats I've been reading lately, it would be worth checking the actual throughput.

Plenty of companies will sell you an ADSL 512K service, but your actual download speeds may not always be up to spec.

Would be interesting to hear from people subscribing to Comindico, easy way to test - do a FTP download of a reasonable size (say 5-10Mb) and watch your download rate. Should be around the 50Kb/Sec mark if you are getting a decent 512 connection.

Hopefully it'll be right on the ball, which will make Telstra/Optus rethink their current packages!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

To see some feedback on many broadband connections check out the whirlpool forums. There are plenty of people whinging on there.

<a href="http://forums.whirlpool.net.au" target="_blank">http://forums.whirlpool.net.au</a>
    1995 306 XR

PULS8R:
    DeKa:

1. Need to get a Telstra phone line reinstalled (approx $175)

Derek.
    I'm facing the same problem of moving to DSL. The huge costs of getting phone line etc..

My parents are happy with optus local and tv, so they are willing to go on a 12 month contract for tv and local calls, to get the 100 free calls a onth which basically cancels out the monthly rental. I heard something on whirlpool about optus hooking up with the telstra network and being able to provide DSL as well, don't know when that will happen though.
    Just to clarify:
    1. You need a phone line with any provider (does not have to be Telstra
    2. Your local exchange has to be ADSL capable and you must not be connected via RIMM
    3. ADSL line will not interrupt your telephone usage (ie ADSL and Phone co-exist happily)
    4. Any copper cable problems will affect both the phone and ADSL (since ADSL runs at higher frequency it has a grater chance of being disrupted)
    5. Setup costs are negilgable if there has been a telstra line already installed to the premises (otherwise its $170+)
    6. Any ADSL modem will do as long as it complies with your ISP settings (90% of ISP's use the telstra duckpond compatible protocols).
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts
    Europa:
    The Comindico deal may well be magnificent, but from some of the stats I've been reading lately, it would be worth checking the actual throughput.
    Comindico are running a 'contention ratio' of 30:1 on their unlimited ADSL plans.

What that means is 30 ADSL connections each share enough bandwidth for one of those connections. ie 30 512kbps users have a total of 512kbps between them

Apparently that is extremely good in comparison to what other providers allow for.

The best place to go for all the info on this stuff is http:/www.whirlpool.net.au and <a href="http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au" target="_blank">http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au</a>

Derek.

That's really good news, but I'd like to see if anyone has tested it...

Just displaying a healthy dose of cynicism, please prove me wrong!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

And has anybody, please, tried Austar?

tekkie:
    ]Just to clarify
    1. You need a phone line with any provider (does not have to be Telstra
    2. Your local exchange has to be ADSL capable and you must not be connected via RIMM
    3. ADSL line will not interrupt your telephone usage (ie ADSL and Phone co-exist happily)
    4. Any copper cable problems will affect both the phone and ADSL (since ADSL runs at higher frequency it has a grater chance of being disrupted)
    5. Setup costs are negilgable if there has been a telstra line already installed to the premises (otherwise its $170+)
    6. Any ADSL modem will do as long as it complies with your ISP settings (90% of ISP's use the telstra duckpond compatible protocols).[/QB]
    Yeah, although currently I have Optus local over the HFC network, however there is a telstra line coming to the house and it the exchange is DSL enabled as Ive checked it before on the net (haven't rang up thoug so could be a different story)

The billion modem would do nicely, got great features and a good price.

I'mgona wait a while and see what Optus come up with as I've heard they are goign to change their plans and maybe even come up with theyr own DSL plans.
    1995 306 XR

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information