Advice wanted for European holiday please.
  • Register
  • Help
    Cal

Advice wanted for European holiday please.

I am spending 6 weeks in the UK and Europe in July and August this year and looking for some guidance.
    I will arrive in London 4 or 5 days before the Goodwood Festival of Speed. I will spend a few days in London before I head down for the event. After that, I will have about a week in the north of England and Scotland before flying to Paris. I will be going to Donnington and perhaps Brands, Silverstone or Oulton Park.

Once in Europe I will have a rental car for a month. I ended up ordering a Peugeot 307 SW with the 2L HDi engine, so I can sleep in it. I will pick up & drop off in Paris. I will be going the German GP on the 2nd & 3rd of August, followed by the Old Timer GP at the Nurburgring on the 8-10th. The rest of the month will be spent touring. Obviously I want to make the most of my time and see as much as possible. I am looking for advice on where the best places to go are. Also, any old tracks worth visiting. At the moment I am thinking Spa, Monza, Reims & Rouen. Any motorsport events worth attending, tourist traps, bars, beaches....whatever you think is worth seeing.

Thanks in advance for any input you may be able to offer.

Cheers,

Cal.

Advertisement
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

...hmmmm.....i m originally from bosnia (sarajevo)
    so if you r looking for some crazy mountain roads thats where i d be heading (and no there are no more snipers to worry about)...another place to consider is the adriatic coast especially the croatian end...simply beautiful cruising with stunning scenery and would probably be well within your budget....people are not a bad lot either...

cheers
    dino

enjoy your trip (and dont forget to keep on the right side of the road)

Only problem is the car won't be insured if you drive down there frown

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    From Driveaway.com.au's Peugeot Leasing site:

Vehicles can be driven throughout Europe, including Britain & Ireland. The Peugeot insurance NOW covers travel into Hungary and Poland.
    No travel permitted into Albania, Algeria, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Ukraine, Georgia, Republic of Yugoslavia.

You're right Justin

Cal,
    How much is the 307SW? It's not listed on peugeot.com/sodexa or driveaway.com.au. I've not travelled in Europe so I'm not much help sorry - but the scheme you're getting the car through is fantastic. Remember you pick up the car with no fuel, and you can return it with no fuel. Both times I've leased cars I've dropped them back with the empty light on

Derek.

Im heading of to Croatia next month :p where you are allowed to drive the Peugeot's peugeot_ , plenty of twisties and crazy germans

Daniel
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

I reccomed you see Southern France, just beautiful. Also Ibiza and Monaco. lovely.
    In the UK, try to visit The PUG factory, i think they have day tours.? Also Cardiff in Wales is nice. Whilst in Eu, you will see so many frogs!! they are like Excels, and fords too.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

nJm
    Yes, the eurodrive type programs sound fantastic. I have relatives who had a Laguna 1.9cdi in France and Germany for a month last year, and they said it was great. It still looks like I'll be heading over to europe and the uk with family late this year, and so far we are planning to lease a C5 SX 2.2Hdi. It is a little cheaper than both Peugeot and Renault, and we figured a large hydrolic Cit would be a good car for 4 people to tour europe in .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Cal, just watch out for the kerbs in Europe man, they have a nasty habit of sneaking up on you
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Cal
    Phasis:
    Cal, just watch out for the kerbs in Europe man, they have a nasty habit of sneaking up on you
    moon
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

I'm not so sure about all that....

When I spent a week or whatever it was in Marseilles, I was amazed at the way the locals simply run up onto the footpath to park. Straight over the kerbs with their nice pliable Michelin tyres, nary a worry about any of it at all...

Ray Bell:
    I'm not so sure about all that....
    Well I am....I can't remember the number of times I bashed the Clio's external rear view mirrors on post boxes, light poles etc on the kerbs driving through villages....not to mention the joys of tackling head on traffic on streets where the distance between the vehicles is microscopic (in the end I ended up doing what the Frogs were doing...just charge onwards and rely on the other guy to miss you.)

Plus I managed to rip off the front passengers side suspension on a cunningly placed granite planter box after the first hour and a half on the "routes".....misjudged the position of the car by less than 50mm...lower arm torn off, front wheel totally buggered, rear wheel totally buggered. Otherwise the car was as new. Took 6 days to get it fixed, but I will say that everything promised in the lease contract was delivered on time...replacement hire car while repairs were made, 80km taxi ride to pick it up,
    all sorted in less than 24 hours. Everyone I spoke with from the locals on the scene, the local Garage Renault to the Eurodrive help desk in Paris were really decent and helpful people....and more than happy to put up with my less than fluent French.

Plus in some villages they have these cannon ball sized bollards lining each side of the narrow streets...thank Christ I managed to avoid those...then in some places driving through a village centre is like driving through a shopping mall in your car...ho ho.

You are better off if you buy maps of larger towns or cities (you can pick these uiip at the main servos on the way in)....because the old sections are really hard to fathom and can present real difficulties.

The autoroutes and secondary highways were fine and the autoroutes have realistic speed limits..although the mountain highways are a bit disconcerting, given that the mountains tend to be a bit more spectacular than ours and the locals tend to drive like French Fangios.

I don't know that I'd do it again without a great deal of thought. I think if I do then I'll catch the bus or train and hire locally when I need to.

On the Marseilles front, a mate of mine spent six weeks in France and Italy this year. He flew into Marseilles and picked up a Pug people mover...right on peak hour. The experience that ensued terrified the whole family, once they got to the villa where they were setting up house they were too scared to drive out and get dinner, they chose to go hungry instead...he had been a taxi driver in Sydney for some years while working his way through uni....but nothing he had experienced in that job went near preparing him for a Marseilles rush hour.

cheers!
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

If you are in Southern Germany go to Switzerland. Lucerne is a wonderful place and all around the lake(Vierwaldstattersee:I just like typing it). I lived there in '95. Zermatt at the Matterhorn is spectacular. So is the Como district in Northern Italy. Don't bother with Monza. Heidelberg is a nice German town. And you gotta go see daft King Ludwigs castle in Bavaria. Actually I quite liked Munich.
    The Donington museum is great.
    South of France has great pubs (around Cannes... Antibes, Juan Le Pins). Monaco is worth a visit, but you wouldnt wanna stay there.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

P.S. You did the right thing hiring a diesel, as they are so much cheaper to run its not funny. The cost of running a petrol car is distressing.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Thread Information