RTA Safe-T-Cams
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: RTA Safe-T-Cams

RTA Safe-T-Cams

I don't know if anyone else heard this on the radio this morning, but on 2MMM in sydney they have a rumor segment where people ring up with rumors they hear, sometimes they are crap, but it can be scary how oftenthey can be right!

One of this mornings rumors was that the RTA Safe-T-Cams which are currently used to monitor truck speeds, distances each truck drives and that each driver is taking the required breaks are going to be switched on purmanently to monitor all traffic.

Advertisement

What that means if it happens is that all safe-t-cams across australia will now become speed cameras, but they are also going to monitor normal vehicles to see if anyone is driving unsafe distances without breaks or if they are getting between cameras too quickly with unsafe driving! snail

I know this is going to put a serious dent in Deka's long distance trips roll_lau for a start, but even on suburban roads around sydney there are HEAPS of these cameras, which is going to effect everyones driving!

Anyway, i don't know if this will definetly happen or when, but it is an interesting rumor to keep your eyes on.

Incidently this rumor did not win this mornings prize, it was taken out by a rumor that kylie minogue is going to open a brothel in the central coast region of NSW if anyone is interested wink

Edit: Actually its in camperdown, so you don't have to travel so far!

Ben

<small>[ 25 March 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: bennymarsh ]</small>
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

1000+ Posts
    bennymarsh:

I know this is going to put a serious dent in Deka's long distance trips roll_lau for a start, but even on suburban roads around sydney there are HEAPS of these cameras, which is going to effect everyones driving!
    All the more reason for me to get that cruise control fitted....

In my recent journey to Melbourne (twice...) I noticed a new Safe-T-Cam being installed just past the dog on the tuckerbox at Gundagai.

Interesting stuff!

Derek.

Why the cruise control Deka?
    Central coast isnt that far away?... wink

I have watched a Safe-T-Cams doco few years back and I tend to remember that the system is used to check that the same truck didnt travel between two cameras in a certain period of time. It uses expected-size-technology (thats my name for it) to check if the vechicle is a truck, then it zeros on the number plate of the approaching truck and sends that information to the central computer.
    Considering the cameras are on the outskirts of Sydney it would take one hell of a computing processor to check every car that travelled around the Sydney area passing those cams.

interesting rumour though in case RTA spends some serious cash on the IBM's BIGBLUE.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

They obviously have something in mind to do it if the rumor is in fact true! But your right, it would need a lot of computer power! Maybe they'll just use them as speed cameras, and anyone they catch speeding they'll monitor the other stuff for. It would pretty much just add a shitload of new speed cameras!

Ben

These speed cameras will put us all to sleep...

But I don't think the Safe-T-Cam setup is capable of giving speeds... only elapsed time between sites, and from that the speeds can be calculated.

One truck driver told me of a loop he does to avoid them, but they must be running out of these soon... can't remember what roads it involved, but it was up the north coast somewhere.

One of this mornings rumors was that the RTA Safe-T-Cams which are currently used to monitor truck speeds, distances each truck drives and that each driver is taking the required breaks are going to be switched on purmanently to monitor all traffic.

What that means if it happens is that all safe-t-cams across australia will now become speed cameras. but they are also going to monitor normal vehicles to see if anyone is driving unsafe distances without breaks or if they are getting between cameras too quickly with unsafe driving!

This as far as I am aware from the info I have is not a rumor so much as it is becoming a reality in melbourne. TOD and safe T cam are already on melbourne freeways. Were it is not there is still traffic monitorng equipment which can tell what speed you do. Not necessarely fine you for it but it means Dic roads have the knowlege to put speed cameras in areas that they know will give high revenue.

A good point, that could well happen...

There are, however, no restrictions on how far or for how long an ordinary motorist can drive.

perhaps you could spend some time at Kylies brothel if you needed to make up a little time between cameras

Thats true, but they are pushing the whole stop revive survive thing, and if they do get them going they could put "recomendations" on the distances and times all drivers can drive, and if they feel you've been driving unsafely do somethng about it.

But the putting in speed cameras where they think they can make money also makes sense!

Ben

There is, of course, a proven way to make the roads safer and reduce the time we'll drive at one stretch...

Eliminate open road speed limits.

UFO
    Well it seems like the rumor is true;

In addition, the Government will examine
    how existing technology such as Safe-T-Cam and
    SCATS could be adapted as speed monitoring
    and enforcement tools. Safe-T-Cam enables the
    RTA to monitor heavy vehicles travelling at
    excessive average speeds and drivers exceeding
    prescribed driving hours, and SCATS is the
    computerised system which controls traffic
    signals in major urban centres in NSW.
    deal

This is from <a href="http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/rs2010.pdf" target="_blank">Road Safety 2010 RTA Web Site</a>

Hmmmmm........... snail snail snail whip
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Administrator
    Ray Bell:
    There is, of course, a proven way to make the roads safer and reduce the time we'll drive at one stretch...

For fear of opening another ummm slightly hostile, pandoras box as happened in the "revenue raising" thread a few weeks back, I will refrain from commenting on the above post......................for now

Ray Bell:

... OK as long as driver training/testing is provided first IMO ...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

All this talk about redusing speed to save lives is absolute crap.
    It is about the Government making cash.its appalling.
    These RTA cameras I thought were just like speed cameras and were hooked up to the police somehow.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Ray Bell:

i will agree to a point but what happens when you are merrily cruising down the raod at 150-160 and you come over a rise and there is an old couple in a 120y merrily cruising along at 70km/h
    it happens now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

You'll fly over the top of them...

eek!
    mallet

<small>[ 25 March 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: silverexec ]</small>
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Down here in Tas they put speed cameras in a van and leave it parked just around a bend on a nice road. I heard of a bloke who pinched the plates off one of these vans and put them on his car. He then drove up and down at high speed in front of the van. The police sent themselves about 100 speeding tickets
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

pugrambo:
    I will agree to a point but what happens when you are merrily cruising down the raod at 150-160 and you come over a rise and there is an old couple in a 120y merrily cruising along at 70km/h
    it happens now
    You basically won't do that...

The thing about being able to travel at the speed you choose is that you learn how to do it safely. And you rapidly learn not to go beyond your vision.

I like that speed camera van story... wonder if I could make up some police number plates and put them on my car? Say some NSW police plates and use them in Qld?

Sounds like a bit more "Bullshit driven Legislation" for raising money in the guise of Road Safety.
    Again it is steroetyping drivers. Some can nod off after an hours driving whilst others can drive a 5 or 6 hour stint no problems. I can drive long distances & as soon as I am aware I'm getting a bit slow on the reflexes, I usually stop for a cuppa or grab a few nuts to chew on & if I don't liven up, I'll stop for a quick nap if need be. There must be plenty of others that do the same.
    What happens if you have a car with more than one driver? One sleeps and one drives.
    Of course, they will preach all the usual garbage; "Roll over in bed instead" & all those pearls of wisdom our geniuses at the Transport Departments spend time sitting in offices dreaming up, snail but when it comes to "Stop, Revive, Survive" (another Qld Transport word of wisdom) and you use one of their U-beaut "Driver Reviver" stops, some dopey copper is standing in the parking lot checking out tyres & general car condition as they drive in as happened at the Gunalda Range stop a couple of years ago; really gives drivers some incentive to stop hey?
    But then again, knowing the mentality, so long as it sounds politically correct it doesn't really matter if they don't stop because you have a better chance of booking a half asleep driver than an alert one & that's what it's all about; money. deal
    Just think, if our Governments were more efficient, they wouldn't have to stoop so low to raise money would they? moon whip

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Anyone written to their local member about any of this? No?
    Oh well, looks like we'll just have to wear it (again)I suppose......

perhaps you could spend some time at Kylies brothel if you needed to make up a little time between cameras

LOL!! So as not to pipetuate any rumor. It is important to relises with the TOD the distance is only three metres rather than camera to camera. However the brothel may be a future option if the camera to camera sh1t happens. tongue

I don't know...

I think you'd have trouble finding a pro that would have you with that nervous twitch you have.

Hi all,

Wouldn't Reven-U-Cams be a more appropriate name for them?

Cheers,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

More like:

Stuff-U-Cams

Guys,

This ‘speed limits are purely for revenue raising’ theme seems to come up every couple of months.

Time to stir things up a bit.
    You all live in fantasy land if you think that if you eliminate speed limits all drivers will drive within the constraints of their driving abilities, the road conditions, and the condition of their cars. There are enough people being killed and maimed now because they misjudge (or ignore) conditions or drive beyond their abilities that it should be proof enough. It’s also probably fair to say that most people’s assessments of their driving abilities range from optimistic to wildly optimistic (remember when you were 19 and invincible).
    Sure, a lot of you guys might be experienced and skilful enough to handle the ‘come over the rise at 160k/hr onto Granny’s 120Y or farmer Joe’s tractor chugging down the road’, but there are an awful lot of people that couldn’t handle it. The roads are for everyone with a legitimately issued license (and a lot of unlicensed users), including trucks, push bikes, pedestrians, joggers, 17 year old P plateters, grannies, etc.

Road rules and speed limits are based on the average driver, average road, average car, not the handful with CAMS licenses and race prepared motor vehicles.
    If you want to speed, go to a race track and get your fix. There are enough of them around and most could do with the extra business.
    Also, consider this. If no one was speeding, there would be no revenue from speed cameras, radar traps, etc. How long do you think government would be shelling out money for expensive cameras and equipment if they didn’t bring in any revenue?

Ren.
    cheers!

PS. And do me a favour and don’t roll out the 'I've been brain washed by the road safety ads' or ‘People having accidents were too busy watching their speed to concentrate on driving’ bulshit.
    Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t mean they’ve been brain washed. Have you ever though that you’ve been brainwashed by the car companies, tuning companies, speed equipment companies, etc. telling you it’s okay (indeed, desirable) to drive faster than you need to, (or in some cases, beyond your driving ability).
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information