fuel savings
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: fuel savings

fuel savings

There was just an ad on TV where a chap said that for every $10 of fuel you put into your car $4 is lost out the exhaust!! eek!
    Then he went on to say that he had a way of halving the amount you loose!! dance
    The way was to put a fan type object into your air inlet you'll get better economy and more power.
    I thought this was too good to keep to myself and had to share with as many people possible.
    Hey it might even work.
    <a href="http://www.fuelsaver.com.au" target="_blank">real fuel savings</a>

Advertisement

cheers!
    Andrew
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Was it on this forum just recently that someone said they tried something like that and it worked?

10% better fuel consumption... but I don't know what brand it was.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i saw and posted something similar i think a while ago
    the one i think i saw was like a little powered blower fan thingy (yeah technical aren't i ? )
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Not a hiclone is it. It is the quickest way to remove uneeded cash from unsuspecting buyers. Surely 10$ of the 10$ worth of petrol eventually goes out the exhaust, unless you have a leak. The important thing is does it give you 10$ worth of by product, ie motion.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

It's hard to know what to think.

On one hand, it's very easy to be sceptical of this sort of thing. After all, if vehicle manufacturers could increase power, emissions and efficiency simply by fitting a small metal ring or two in the intake, then don't you think they'd all be doing it?

Also, we know for sure that the makers and distributors of this product are making plenty of money. $160 for a small metal ring with some vanes in it? Sounds like a scam...

On the other hand, it does have those 2 good reviews. I'm not familiar with either of those magazines, so I can't comment on their reliability or impartiality.

JG.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Sounds like a product from the late 70's, made of it sat under the carby, light gauge metal with turbine like vanes, pressed into it. The idea was it caused better atomization, therefore more power developed, less accelerator required so better economy.
    It was claimed as an outstanding success, however, i never saw any test results produced. It disappeared of the shelves after a few years. cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

what ever happened to the funnel type fitting that you could get to fit over the tail pipe on your car ?
    it was claimed that as you were driving along it would create a venturi type effect and suck the gasses out of your exhaust
    end result was again more power and better economy
    anyone remember that one ???
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    I remember seeing on A Current Affair or Today Tonight, where they have tested HiClone and other fuel-saving add-on devices. Who are interested can probably look up their archives for the story.

Don't remember what the results were, but probably does save fuel, at least on modern EFI cars, otherwise I would have remembered it and possibly bought one already...

The 205 inlet/intake is already pretty restricted i don't see how something that works on its own power could reduce that restriction
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

I think I'll wait till it's on the Bert Newton show before I'll consider buying one. whistle

cheers!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Originally posted by 2 pugs
    <strong>I think I'll wait till it's on the Bert Newton show before I'll consider buying one.
    I know what you'll be looking at during that ad...

The same thing that sells most products to keep Berty fat.

The idea is that by causing swirl in the air charge, it mixes better. Whether or not it works, I have no idea, but it is possible in theory.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

1000+ Posts
    The distibutor's advertised the Hiclone in WA papers every Saturday for years. From looking at the pics, at least, it looks like it goes before the carb/throttle body. Therefore the air flow would be re-polarised by the throttle body and butterfly (petrol cars) and lose its swirl anyway. All I can see these things doing is adding drag on the intake air.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I got one at a garage sale a few years ago... unused, and it still is (it's lost, actually...) and the instructions clearly showed it between the carby and the manifold.

But I don't know what brand it was...

Sounds like a Hyclone! Have not seen any figures ie results for them? From my learning thow, I would want more than 10 percent change to verify that it was working. In my experiance 10% veriation in economy results is normal for every day driving.

I must say I doubt the hyclone has any effect! They are normally placed in the air filter box. and are surpose to generate a vorticy.

However, weather that continues long enough down the inlet to effect turbulent airflow at the combustion chamber seems unlikely! (to me) If a hyclone were in each runner I would have thought that it would probably yield some result. good or bad. question

1000+ Posts
    Ray, yours was probably different to these...check out:

<a href="http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/installation.htm" target="_blank">http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/installation.htm</a>

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

XTC
    You people wouldn't be doubting it's powers if a well known multiple Bathurst winner was promoting it ... roll_lau

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Stuey
    From looking at the pics, at least, it looks like it goes before the carb/throttle body. Therefore the air flow would be re-polarised by the throttle body and butterfly (petrol cars) and lose its swirl anyway. All I can see these things doing is adding drag on the intake air.[/QB]
    I agree Stuey, just looking at it with the eyes open, common sense shows the flaws. On top of that for EFI motors, they recommend one before and another after the Airflow sensor, with both before the throttle body. It dosen't take much to work out that any possible chance of SWIRL, would would only occur in wide open throttle situations, even this would be debateable, as the spring loaded Airflow sensor vane, applies pressure againt airflow, and could be caused to fluctuate by the swirling air. Stuffing up the EFI Tuning completely.
    cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

XTC206:
    You people wouldn't be doubting it's powers if a well known multiple Bathurst winner was promoting it ... roll_lau

- XTC206 -
    ah yes
    now let me see
    where did i put those magnets
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

two-oh-philic:
    The 205 inlet/intake is already pretty restricted i don't see how something that works on its own power could reduce that restriction
    I don't know where you got this idea....

<a href="http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug2058v.htm" target="_blank">Pumaracing</a> seem to believe the standard inlet manifold etc are more than adequate for the stock engine (exhaust system too, I might add).

Hi,

Guess there is only one way to find out if it works is too buy it but by that time you have already had your money flushed and you still just complain. I really wouldn't touch it, if it did work wouldn;t every car out there have one of these things??

Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

1000+ Posts
    I reckon you'd save more fuel by being light on the throttle.

I'm absolutely appauled with my 306 - but maybe it's my driving.

330km from 41L BP Ultimate.
    That's over 12L/100km! Yikes.

I'll be covering a few thousand km of highway distance over the weekend so shall report back but ugh I hope it gets better.

Derek.

DeKa:

Derek.
    eek! Jeeezzz, that's more than my automatic 504 in and around the suburbs! And I stir it along to, though I would rate myself as a smooth driver.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

DeKa:
    I reckon you'd save more fuel by being light on the throttle.

I'll be covering a few thousand km of highway distance over the weekend so shall report back but ugh I hope it gets better.

Derek.
    I got that on the trip to Young in the 604 :p roll_lau

cheers!

DeKa:
    Bloody hoon

DeKa:
    According to the Australian Government's <a href="http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/cgi-bin/transport/fuelguide/fuelguide.pl?querytype=vehicle&vehicleid=8827" target="_blank">Fuel Consumption Guide</a> you're a bit over what is typically expected from a 2.0 16V manual 306.

Based on research, in reality add 15% to the city fuel consumption, which gives you 11.5l/100. You're on 12.4 which is a bit high.

For the country, add 34%, which will give you just over 8l/100km. The average speed of the highway fuel consumption test is 77km/h, which is fairly low.

I think you'll have to move to a diesel

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information