Window Tinting
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Window Tinting

Window Tinting

was wondering any of u'z who've got window tints done to ur car...wat percentage tint did u'z use? or reccomend?

Advertisement
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

i got my done at oz tint(parra rd opp bob jane) the price was $240 and i`m very happy that the job he did that was about 2yrs ago
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

There's so many shades of tints nowadays...I saw a new black Pulsar hatch with a black tint which was as black as the car. Looked awesome! made me want to go and the GTi6 re-tinted.

I bought my car with the tint and my previous cars were tinted by the dealer for me, so I've never choose my shade of level.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts
    One thing I've noticed with the tinting in the 306XSi is it's ever so slightly worn around the edges. Is that normal? Doesn't worry me cos I either drive with windows all the way up (can't see it then) or windows all the way down (can't see it then either!) but yeah just wondering.

Derek.

I know someone with silver 35% reflective tint with another 20% put on top of that.

Cost $250.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Deka, yeah they're better at getting the tint all the way to the edge nowadays. The GTi6 isn't that good around the edges. There's also metal on the black paint stuff around the rear windows which causes rust under the tint. Not very sightly, but nothing you can do about it apparently (according to Yelo).
    - Lincoln

Yeah thats right what Lincoln said.

I spoke at length with the guys at the Car Styling Centre about it when we got the ex's GTi6 tinted. They spoke to Peugeot themselves and were told that the black check stuff around the edges contains metal which rusts with the water used when they apply the tint.

You can minimise it by repeatedly (meaning every day for a week or so till it dries properly) running your finger over that area pushing the water out.

Basically you will get it no matter what. Its just how severe that can be altered.

As for how dark, just get the darkest legal tint and the best tint. Don't go for the cheap ones. They are CRAP !!!!!!

Darren

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i had my GTi-6 tinted not long after i got it back in 98 and it was the darkest legal i could get at the time
    it was like a metalised tint the reduces glare and stops 60% of heat and UV's or something along those lines from passing through it
    the job cost me close to $400 nearly 5 years ago now
    as for the rusting effect around the rear windows mine after all this still does not show any signs of it
    but then for $400 i wouldn't like to see it start happening either
    worth getting done for looks and to keep heat out of the car
    also air conditioning works more efficiently as you are not trying too cool the heat coming into the car either
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Yeah, was talking to a guy at work the other day about getting my Xsara tinted who is knowledgable about these things. He's got one of those Holdon 5.7L 6 speed super-ute thingies and is therefore really up with the aftermarket scene.(seems to go with the territory roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau )
    He reckons you absolutely get what you pay for with tinting. Don't ever go for the cheap option as it will absolutely definitely look like [email protected]#$%te after about 18 months.
    He recommended going to a reputable dealer that specializes in car glass tinting and getting them to apply the best best tint that you can afford.
    Poor quality tint will peel on the edges after a shory time and scratches badly when the side windows are wound up and down a few times, especially if the window seals are dusty.

The old maxim - you pays your money...
    cheers!

The tint I have on the Berlingo is illegal normally but OK on a commercial vehicle. Having so few windows makes it near impossible to see inside.

Being this dark is not good at night, making visibility a problem for anything beside or behind me.

Even on the hotter days, I only need to turn the A/C control to half way which makes for better performance, espesh on those hill starts dead

<span>SOL-ACE have alwya served me well, they tinted my Alfa and my old Nissan. My S16
    came with the windows tinted and that was done by a <span class=ResizableText0>contractor</span> to peugeot but has since shut down and <span class=ResizableText0>apparently</span> moved to Melb?? sounds fishy to me. Either way 8 years on and the tint still looks awesome, not 1 bubble, not 1 bit of fade, no furry edges, not peeling, and no rust around the c- pillar window. I dont know how much it was, but its money well spent. Its not dark or mirror like either, but all this talk has got me thinking, Black S16, black interior, with black tints, black sun strip, black alloys, black exhaust trim,
    white on black plates, black <span class=ResizableText0>badges........ok</span> too far. ........ black key <span class=ResizableText0>barrels....<<Xq</span> cops a cyber-knock to the back of the head. cheers Xq</span>

<small>[ 21 March 2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>
    ... ptui!

UFO
    Na, I reckun ya goez and gits yaself wun u thoz do it yaself kits from KMart man, they are fulli sik. Its speshly gud win afta about free munfs it all starts ta peel n then it just looks so kewl! Its sik when ya gits lotsa air bubblez in ya tint and it makes ya car look like absolute CRAP!! mallet

On this note, I had a BMW M series following me through Sydney yesterday and it had a darkish tint in the windscreen, Surely thats not legal. Also the front side windows looked way too dark. Maybe the driver is really ugly and doesn't want anybody to see him?

I have been considering getting tint film on the XM. I think that silver reflective sort of stuff looks really good, but on a silver car it could be over kill. There is a reasonable amount of tint in the windows themselves. Is it (NSW) legal to have more applied?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Any idea how much it costs to remove a tint that is already on your car? (on top of a new tint, that is).
    - Lincoln

On this note, I had a BMW M series following me through Sydney yesterday and it had a darkish tint in the windscreen, Surely thats not legal. Also the front side windows looked way too dark. Maybe the driver is really ugly and doesn't want anybody to see him?
    Nah, being a BMW driver and all, he just didn't want anybody seeing him driving with one hand and furiously masturbating with the other. roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

UFO
    Nah, being a BMW driver and all, he just didn't want anybody seeing him driving with one hand and furiously masturbating with the other. roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau
    I hope that you speak from knowledge and NOT experience mallet Good response though head_ban
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

GTI124:
    Any idea how much it costs to remove a tint that is already on your car? (on top of a new tint, that is).
    about as much as getting it tinted
    you can do it yourself but it can be a pain in the rear job and anyone who has ever done it will know it literally stinks
    there is a chemical type stuff you can get like thinners but i can't remember the name of it to remove the glue
    have a day set aside for the job
    if you are lucky the tint will come off in large enough pieces not to be a pain but it can come off in the tiniest little bits that will test your patience
    you will save a few hundred doing it yourself if you have the time and patience to do the job
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

that place on para round opposite bob jane at summer hill has a big sing out the front: $88 for removal of old film

east_bay_punk:
    that place on para round opposite bob jane at summer hill has a big sing out the front: $88 for removal of old film
    that place is call oz tint,they are very good they did my friends limousines cars
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

if they take it off for $88 grab them with both hands and get them to do it
    sounds like a bargain
    but then again i do live in the bush and i haven't needed to do it to a car for about 4 years now
    i know the last one i did for a friend it took us most of a day just to do the front windows
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

thanks guys! that's great to know
    - Lincoln

Thread Information