Window Tinting legality?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Window Tinting legality?

Hi all,

Advertisement

Summer is coming up and want to get my car tinted to avoid the harsh sunlight and heat...

I understand that in NSW the maximum "darkness" is 35% (or 30%?) light tramsission. However at that level it's not as dark as I would like.

Are mirrored/metallic tints illegal? If so is it because it's mirrored, or only when they fall below 35%?

XTC
    Mirror (like on the WRC cars) is a hazard for other drivers ... you can get metalic like tints that give soem of this effect ... but straight 3M blanktint is what I have (3M™ Scotchtint™ Color-Stable Automotive Window Films CS-35, Black) ... sure it's not as dark as some (seen many very dark illegal tints) but it works and has a good warrenty.

Watch the exclusion clauses of many tints .. they get you on things like internal moisture .. get real you are made up of 70% H2O of course there is internal moisture.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I was thinking of getting the darkest tint on my C3 but im unsure of how they actually put it in. I have all sorts of horror visions of removal of interior panels and such things...How do they do it..

UFO
    danielsydney:
    I was thinking of getting the darkest tint on my C3 but im unsure of how they actually put it in. I have all sorts of horror visions of removal of interior panels and such things...How do they do it..
    Ever seen the Mr Bean program where he paints the inside of his flat with a can of paint and a stick of gelly? head_ban dead

I reckon that would be a good method!! dance dance
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The "darkness" look does depend on the colour of the interior. The C3 wouldn't look dark as it's interior is so light.

The Solace F1 tint has quite a reflective layer on it that reflects most light, but still meets the NSW regulations. But I don't think it "looks" as good as something like the 3M black tint, but it is more effective. Depends what you're after in the end.

I'm looking at replacing the tint that I have soon, as it doesn't work very well and with my AC compressor about to go, I'll probably just pull out the AC stuff and lighten the car up a bit
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

XTC
    GTI124:
    I'm looking at replacing the tint that I have soon, as it doesn't work very well and with my AC compressor about to go, I'll probably just pull out the AC stuff and lighten the car up a bit
    AC Comfort v's weight ... in WA I know which one I'd go for.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

My car is becoming an occasional car, track days and the occasional blat. Once the intake, extractors, exhaust and r compounds go on there, it's not going to be the quietest thing out there...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Fellow Frogger!
    I don't really want full mirror tints nor illegal dark tints, too dark to be safe on some conditions I reckon. Something metallic that would reflect more light so less "see-thru" would be nice.

Have experienced Solace F1, quite happy with everything, and although it is somewhat reflective, would prefer if it's a bit darker (the car already had a dark gray interior)..

So 3M stuff is good?? It has been recommended to me before...

I think putting tinting films on does require some trim removal where required, so thinking about that I would really prefer someone who are good and experienced with Renault...just so they won't do some damage in the process.

i done my tints at solar tint for $250, they were 20% so they come out pretty dark...during the day time, the inside of the car is much darker, and at night its not as bad as ppl would think as you'd get use to it after a few weeks...
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

XTC
    rc968:
    So 3M stuff is good?? It has been recommended to me before...
    I have 3M (the 35% stuff) . very happy with it - costs more, but the warrenty is very good cause the product is good.

- XCT206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information