Buying a 205Gti
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Buying a 205Gti

Buying a 205Gti

Righto. Some here may remember me from maybe a year or so ago (the guy who bought the volvo 740 turbo )? Haven't used the net much in a while, and having a volvo, i've stuck mainly to the turbobricks forums . However, i did reside in tassie, but moved to melbourne this year and the ovlov is just too big. i love it, but its big, and i am afraid the turbo is going to chuck it in soon.

To the point, I'm back into my old thinking of wanting a little 205 banger. Dont really care about the colour, but i'm thinking around $7500? is this too little? i know it'll be an 87 or an 88. my method in this madness will be to spend another grand on tidying it up once i have it. From what i remember and know, they are fairly reliable, fairly economical, and great fun to drive. Is it possible to get a reasonable one (less than 200,000kms) for $7.5k?

Advertisement

cheers,

Nick Chandler

may i ask why it has to be less than 200k...i m sure ther are some avilable in that price range...naturally lower k cars are dearer but i m sure there are lower k cars out there that have been mistreated more so than some high k cars....when i bought mine it had close to 260k but it was owned buy a couple in their 60s (go figure)that looked after it like gold...what i m saying is that you should not be scared of a high mile motor as long as there is at least some evidence that its been taken care of...i d highly recommend the purchase of a 205gti...at least u know it will not depreciate as much as some of the 7 series volvos did (and thats comming from a volvo nut 2)

cheers
    dino

good luck with your hunt...

Why would you want to move from the best place in Australia (Tassie) to a big urban jungle like Melbourne? mallet
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Yeah i dont have any problems with a few kms (it isnt exactly a typical small car engine anyways) but it would have to be a very very mint car, with some new parts in it.

As for the big move, a) i've lived in tassie all my 18 years, and it does get boring. b) melbourne is the only place in australia i can do my course. c) i still go back to tassie 4 times a year, and spend about a third ofthe year thear over those four times.

i contemplated changing the volvo for a jap A-B boring car, but i can't do it. i like cars with character (yes a 740 turbo does have character ) . a 205 would be perfect because i still do the occaisional long trip, i've got fantastic roads to make use of in tassie, and its a reasonable city car.

as for volvo depreciation, i'd say the 760 6 cylinder makes have lost value horrendously (stick to building 4pots volvo, its all you can do) but a neat 740 is still a 10 grand plus car. especially wagons.

chandler

<small>[ 14 May 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: nchandler ]</small>

For that sort of money you should be able to hang out for an '89-90 75kW model, with the later dash, or even a high km 90kW model. '87-88 models have been selling for $5-$6K in Sydney (inc. from dealers).

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information