Distance covered in the old thing's
  • Register
  • Help

Distance covered in the old thing's

Really a quick comparison of how many Km's that people have put on their choice of transport.

Personally I have my '84 Auto with 285,000 Km. And i've added 80,000 of those km's. In four years of ownership. And about $3000 worth of recepts for the bl00dy thing (but I love it blush )

And my '83 Manual with (wait for it)...... a newly run in 442,000km's deal . So thats about 6,000 since december 2002 for me and the rest from Gus and his Dad wink . So while swapping a radiator and front struts out of my '84 the lovely thing has cost me $80 in oil, coolant and filters. Best purchase I've ever made (THANKS GUS!!) whistle

During semester for uni I will probably add between 500 - 800 km's a week. Most of which is freeway miles.

Compared to my friends 1995 crummydore that is heading west at 188,000 km's (fully serviced and treated nice) and anothers 1996 Magna at 165,000 they seem to be no patch on my old pugs for life and running costs deal .

What are others experience's? Cit/Ren/Pug the best you've owned for value/distance and comfort? Or are we all decieving ourselves???? a_drink

Jono

Advertisement
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

dad bought the 505 STI with 120.000kms in 99.. has now seen 430,000

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Current 504 Familiale was bought for my wife about six years ago. It had put in 560,000kms to that point and had been used to cart wholesale jewellery all over Queensland.

The seats, aft of the front ones, had been wrapped in plastic in the owner's garage for sixteen years.

It became my regular transport in September, 2001. I've put perhaps 230,000kms on it since, it's well over 800,000kms into its life.

Along the way it had two engine rebuilds before we got it, and a new diff, a respray etc. In May 2001 it dropped a valve head and at that time I set about converting it to TI engine (using the original block) and BA7 5-speed.

18 months ago a young kangaroo decided to suicide through the bull bar and has left it toothless.

nJm
    Well despite using my car every day, in about 1 year of ownership I've only put on 15,000km, and in that period the car has cost me around $4000 (including a set of new tyres).

The previous owners drove the first 255,000km only on country roads, and they could only think of one or two occaisions in the past 20 years when someone had sat in the back, so understandably the rear seat is still in perfect condition. Actually, appart from the smallish tear on the driver's seat side bolster (which has only appeared since I got the car) the interior looks like new.

I'm hoping to put plenty of more ks on it though - it needs a good long distance trip.

EDIT:

I just thought I'd go sit in the back seat of my car (haven't really done that before!), and would have to say they are extremely comfortable. However, two problems I can see with being in the back of an early 505 on a long trip are:

1. No rear headrests. I've spent quite a bit of
    time in the back of a 505 Executive, and having the rear headrests is a must I think.

2. Head room is a little limited for me in the back (although if you had rear headrests I'm sure you could slouch a little more and lean backwards).

However, appart from that it is great. Heaps more leg room than our Magna (and the 505 is definately smaller on the outside) and a nice big centre armrest wink .

<small>[ 14 May 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts
    nJm:
    and a nice big centre armrest wink .
    Nick what do you need an armrest in the back seat for? :p

I did 30 000km a year in my 306XR - nice cheap economical motoring really

The XSi - well, it's done 6 000km in 2 months so far. A bit of the 'new toy' status still there though!

The XM we had did around 120 000km in 4 years with us. Fantastic highway car that - which is why it did so much travelling I think!

The 504's done about 200 000km since we've had it too. Suffered 3 chronic auto transmission failures but you get that.

Derek

I have not done many miles in my Pugs, but the 604 has 325,000kms, and the 403 is reading about 35,000. There is no way the 403 is only 35,000 miles, so it must be 135,000 or 235,000. Judging by the condition, I am inclined to think the latter.
    All frogs seem to go on for ever, though.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I know I've waved this under noses before, but some of these have done star ship mileages

<a href="http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2685&SearchTerms=900,000" target="_blank">http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2685&SearchTerms=900,000</a>

There is a Taxi driver in the UK who responded to an item from someone with 560,000 miles on a BX and basically reckoned that wasn't all that unusual as he had "parked" one at 780,000 miles.

I have a couple of CXs that would be 5 - 600,000 klms, a 1.6 litre BX Trs I had that was going strong at 250,000 when I sold it & a BX 16V series one that had a problem after it was used in a sprint event at around 120,000 miles (200,000 klms) but is basically like new everywhere else & is presently having the engine rebuilt. The sprints only showed up a problem caused through a bit of dodgy work in its earlier life, possibly whilst owned by the original owner who was possibly unaware of what had been done.
    The difference between the froggys & the average car is that they are engineered & built to last; the niggling complaints we sometimes have are just a reminder to keep an eye on servicing & maintaining them. mallet mallet

Alan S dance
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The early Pugs were designed to cope with the French North African colonies. Ever seen a documentary with pics of 404 utes with 15-20 people hanging off the back, usually being driven flat out?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

i know its not french but i had an old (69) 250 se that had 400 000..wait for it "miles"...the car was obviously serviced and looked after by somebody that took care and pride in their work....beside the kind of drivers and other factors that influence the life of an engine (some are lemons right out of the factory)nothing seems to destroy engines worse than BAD mechanics....probably one of the reasons why french cars havent been as susccessful down under as they should have been...

cheers
    dino

1000+ Posts
    My old 12 has now done 480,000.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The previous owners of my 504 kept a detailed list of what was spent on the car, when and at what milage. After going through it I worked the car has done about 480,000 k's. The motor was done up about 80,000 k's ago.
    The wifes 505GTi has 300,000 k's on it.

cheers!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

My oldest the '86 505 GTi 5 speed has done 212,000 km, wonderfully comfortable to drive(and be driven in back seat), back seats unmarked and car in Club concours condition. Still on original clutch and rear disc pads(I Think). Extremely cheap to run.
    Wife's 205 CTi Cab has done 113,000 miles, is a totally reliable and robust little gem, has had all shocks replaced at 97,000m, front suspension rebushed soon after, CV boots,disc pads & tyres.Is her daily driver-205's rule!
    My Mi16 405's are both high mileage-89 rally car has 218,000km and came with a huge bundle of receipts a year ago, and has cost plenty to bring up to Targa standard. prone to overheating(radiator changed, everything else replaced with new inc. w. pump, thermo, hoses,gaskets, the lot).
    The 91 Mi16 is a daily driver,with 169,00 miles on, and has also cost plenty in maintenance. Overheating(again)-new radiatior, etc,etc,etc. Rear brake caliper,front pads,steering rack boots and CV boot, gear lever when knob disintegrated from sun damage, tyres. Conclusion-405's driven harder,- more wear & tear(figures !), engines strong but prone to overheating, gearboxes and clutches strong, peripheral parts subject to high wear & tear, need careful watching & replacement before they fail. These high performance cars dont have the same durability factor as 505 for example but have much higher performane, are lighter and the fun factor is better and cost more to own.
    Probably just reflects life if we are honest!
    Don

dino
    nothing seems to destroy engines worse than BAD mechanics....probably one of the reasons why french cars havent been as susccessful down under as they should have been...

cheers
    dino[/QB]
    a truer word was never said - most of the repairs I did on my R25 when I got it was to recitfy all the stupid, lazy and incompetent work the local country garage had done on it. If they dont consider it a "proper" car, they dont bother making an effort to understand it or take any care
    But with 225000 km and still going strong nontheless. Mostly original from what I can tell, only really replaced the front shocks and reco'ed the head (only really needed exhaust valve guides, but it was off anyway for the classic head gasket oil leak) and general service stuff like tyres, mufflers, pads etc.

<small>[ 15 May 2003, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

A recent example of oldies & big miles.

<a href="http://citroen.aceonline.com.au/citin/" target="_blank">http://citroen.aceonline.com.au/citin/</a>

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Alan,

there probably '88 model 2CV's (ie: newer than all my cars !!) roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau mallet dance
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If they dont consider it a "proper" car, they dont bother making an effort to understand it or take any care
    My local NRMA (No Reliable Mechanic Available) bloke who doubles as the local mechanic, calls both of our Pugs "Camel Cars". peugeot_

Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Thread Information