Locked out
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Locked out

Locked out

Here is a little story I would like to tell;

My wife owns a R19 Chamade. While it is a generally reliable car, recently she was not able to engage reverse. So having little else on a Saturday afternoon to do, I decided to take a look. After lifting the gear selector boot on the centre console I discovered that a small cable connected to the reverse gear lockout mechanism had frayed and snapped. Relieved at not finding anything worse, I rang the excellent David from French Connection to order a replacement cable.
    This, unfortunately, is where my troubles began. David was not able to find the replacement part on his books and informed me that we may have to go genuine. With a shudder I told him to go ahead. A couple of days passed and I began to wonder what had become of the part so I gave Dave a call.
    He told me the that he had made numerous enquiries and no one knew what the part was,
    He had rung Renault Australia, and they did not know what the part was. They told him that there is a cable on the Automatic, but not on the manual- did the client know what he was talking about?
    Well, I have owned Renaults for nearly 20 years and have conducted most repairs myself, I would like to think, despite some at times unusual engineering, I know the difference between a manual and an automatic.
    Finally David rang Renospare and asked them to lift the selector boot on a car which they were wrecking. To everyone’s amazement guess what they found- one 90mm cable attached to the lockout mechanism. “Can I buy it?” asked Dave. “No”, replied Renospare, “You’ll have to buy the whole assembly. That will be $80 thankyou.” “I might try Renault again.” Said Dave.
    David once again rang Renault and informed them that such a part did indeed exist. They then replied by saying that I would have to buy the whole assembly, “That will be $300 thankyou.”
    I have since tried to have a cable made up but have found out that the cable ends are moulded onto the 1mm cable, and that I wont be able to get it done.

It now looks as though I will, for the sake of a simple cable, have to buy a complete assembly- a situation which I find completely ridiculous.

Any comments?

Advertisement

Thanks for your efforts Dave.

When you say the "cable ends are moulded onto the 1mm cable" what do you mean, Leigh?

(I'm trying to visualise them, and the molding). You can't simply swage a replacement "end" on somehow?.. How about splicing the existing ends onto another short length of cable? Or drilling out the old cable and getting a new one braised in? Or making up new "ends" from a block of alloy or something? Or replacing the cable with a short rod?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I had handbrake cables made when I adapted 504 rear discs to my 404 wagon... the people who make cables can do anything in this line.'

Just look them up in the phone book and be ready to shell out your $10.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Leigh,

it's good to hear other poeple have the same fun I do roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

Recently I had to buy an accelerator cable for the CX. $75 bucks later eek! eek! I find out the 'gueniune citroen' cable is a 'cut to length and screw a little tab on' on the end universal cable. Talk about me being seriously P!$$ED OFF. I could've done excactly the same sort of dodgy job with a bit of cable from a pushbike brake.

You must have friends in the yatch club that'll be able to form a couple of ends on a bit of cable. Failing that, just get a bit of cable and use a couple of 'screw down' ends on it like my OEM cable that was sent to me uses Hey this aint rocket science, it's only the reverse lockout. Failing that, remove the reverse lockout mechanism. I'm sure Kylie knows not to accidently put it in reverse now :p tongue

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Leigh that story is very much typical.

Its very frustrating isnt it? eek!

The cable is made by placing the end of a 1mm cable into a mold and then casting the T peace on. I have been told that braizing wont be strong enough, and crimping wont be an option either.
    It suprises me that this part isn't on Renaults list, If Renault 'creates cars' it begs the question from what?

p.s thanks for the suggestions

UFO
    I like Shane's last suggestion! Anyway, we all know that gear boxes need teeth sharpened and all that one way torque reversed every now and then tongue head_ban
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Definantly have a go at making up a new cable - I cant imagine a lockout mech would place a huge load on the cable, its not like a clutch cable or anything! Those screw on type end thingys grip pretty tight.

Doublechevron - that had to suck! I took one look at the throttle cable on my old 504 and immediatly headed for the bicycle shop!!!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

UFO
    Haakon:

Doublechevron - that had to suck! I took one look at the throttle cable on my old 504 and immediatly headed for the bicycle shop!!!
    What, to buy a bike cause it would be easier in the long run?!?!? tongue roll_lau a_drink moon
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

We were given a similar story on a throttle cable for a BX 16V; "can only use genuine; plastic ends that won't last unless installed by experts etc, etc."
    Went to see the local motor bike shop who is involved in racing & hence has to improvise/manufacture parts all the time & the response was"do you want to wait for it or do you want to call back in 5 minutes?" and that cost us about $10
    Morobike repairers do this kind of thing all the time & it's no hassle to them.
    That's where I'd be trying; there'd have to be heaps of them around Melbourne capable of doing it you'd reckon. cheers! cheers!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

You know, the very best throttle cable I ever used was a speedo cable!

A bit bulkier, but unbreakable and very smooth in action.

Won't wrap around that funny French thing on the carby, so a join there would be necessary, but that's no big deal.

Thread Information