Point to Point cameras on the Hume
  • Register
  • Help

Point to Point cameras on the Hume

I see they are introducing fixed point to point speed cameras on the Hume in Victoria.

Advertisement

Located maybe 60k's apart, if your average speed exceeds the limit between the two cameras you get a ticket.

I guess people will be able to work out where the second camera is located from the number of vehicles parked on the approach side in the emergency lane!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm
    Rofl, but then any slight (and I really mean slight) improvement you'd get in arrival time by going over the limit will well and truely be cancelled out by having to wait on the side of the road . These sort of speed cameras, if have a reasonable tollerance level I don't mind (well, not until I get a ticket roll_lau ). It's the cameras that catch you doing 64km/h for a couple of seconds to get past something (or just not staring at the speedo) that peeve me off.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Rod Hagen:
    I see they are introducing fixed point to point speed cameras on the Hume in Victoria.

Located maybe 60k's apart, if your average speed exceeds the limit between the two cameras you get a ticket.

I guess people will be able to work out where the second camera is located from the number of vehicles parked on the approach side in the emergency lane!

Cheers

Rod
    Maybe a bit of insulation tape the right colour would sort that out simply enough.
    Turn a 9 to a 0 & vice versa; 6 to an 0 and letters aren't all that difficult either.
    It's what was happening wholesale in the Territory when they introduced speed cameras up there & was apparently quite sucessful. cry
    Probably a bit illegal and far be it for me to even suggest such a terrible thing; I mean these politicians & Governments need the money to pay all those big salaries. I mean wouldn't you feel mean & nasty if poor old Braxy had to try & live on a couple of hundred grand a year; almost livin' in poverty mallet moon
    Might just get a bit expensive if you got caught though roll_lau

Alan S whistle
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Where is there along the Hume that they could put them and you couldn't cover that stretch on a side road, the old highway or something?

At one end of the 60k or the other you'd get a chance, surely?

1000+ Posts
    My thoughts exactly Ray.

The other option is to take off into the centre of the road (that is SOOOOO wide south of the Victorian border) to go around the camera wink

Just watch you don't hit a tree or anything.

Derek.

rek
    If I remember correctly they use a similar scheme in Britain, however the distance between camera points are much shorter; only a few kilometres or so.

I must say I had a cynical smirk on my face as I read this news. The state budget is in the red and it looks like they're attempting to bridge the gap by making motoring more expensive; tolls on the promised "toll free" Ringwood freeway extension thing, indexed rate increases for motoring costs and fines, etc.

Ray Bell:
    Where is there along the Hume that they could put them and you couldn't cover that stretch on a side road, the old highway or something?

At one end of the 60k or the other you'd get a chance, surely?
    That's what I would be thinking. You could divert just long enough to miss one of the camera gantries and the system would be rendered useless.

And if that's not an option, I think food outlets along the 60km 'measured' path might get a bit of extra clientele from high speed motorists who strategically plan their rest stops wink I can just imagine people fine-tuning their trip computers and stopwatches to Formula 1 pit-stop precision :p
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

UFO
    This is just getting absolutley bloody stupid! I think it is high time we all put some keyboard effort into contacting anybody and everybody who will listen. We sit here day after day hypothesizing about how this should be done and that should be done blah blah blah blah and about the only one who seems to have the ballz to do anything is Alan.

How about ALL aussiefrogs that have any guts about them get busy. Contact your state and federal policitians and tell them how pissed off you are. Contact your state motoring organisation, write to the newspapers, call up talk shows yadda yadda yadda.

When are these idiots we seemingly elect to "power" going to realise that some people on the road are not safe at ANY speed (as can be witnessed on 7 every Sunday night at present)?

We (the general population) are all sitting here like a big pack of dummies being fed all the crud in the world about increasing road deaths while in fact they are DECREASING and during the last Easter period there was no difference to a non holiday period.

There must come a point where we have to expect a certain number of road deaths. The same way that deaths and injuries are "budgeted" into major building works.

The thing we need to get our elected trough grazers to do is to make sure that people can DRIVE - that is handle a car in every situation that they could be likely to encounter. Oh, and while they're at it, they should be tested again - at least every 10 years if not 5. Yeah sure, this will cost money, but to quote a pollie or 70 "it will save lives"

I peeved and will be firing off letters tonight.

Stupid bloody point to point cameras blah blah blah. Flaming idiots wound up with too much power!!!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig,

If you'd like a copy of my submission to the Parliamentary Inquiry that went in last week, just say the word.
    If nothing else it gives you some ideas as to how to approach it and actually uses the stupidity of how certain aspects of the law is administered in other States as examples.
    It must have been accepted as a valid document as I had two calls from "above" today which amongst other things thanked me for the amount of effort I had put into the compilation of the document; I don't think they expected anything as complex & researched as this coming fron a private submission.
    Whether they take any notice is another thing. mallet

Alan S

UFO
    Alan

You've got my email addy mate - fire away! Do you mind if I plagiarise it? deal

Congrats on the good response so far! dance

Perhaps all AFs would like a read?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I sure would...

Please send it to [email protected]

<small>[ 12 May 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Ray Bell ]</small>

I'll send it out directly tommorrow as being what it is (12 pages) it is a bit too large to post on here.
    Not only that, but a certain amount of protocol has to be observed so that it doesn't become public knowledge before the committee has a go at it, but I can see no harm in private distribution amongst anyone privately interested in it.
    It's a bit radical & aims at a small percentile of drivers but a very important one & makes some suggestions that are a change from current thinking by working on an incentive principal. It also addresses the revenue lost by Governments due to losing the preoccupatiion with speeding.
    Not the kind of document likely to gain too many friends in the ranks of the so-called "senior advisers." mallet mallet mallet

Alan S

12 pages??!!! yeah send me one two!

Cheers
    Marc
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

yeah chuck a copy my way please Alan cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

I wouldn't mind a read of it too Alan, if you could send me a copy. Thanks.

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Cal
    Why don't they just buy a few satellites? Surely the budget would allow for a half dozen or so. Then we can get a ticket from space! Scum

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

You wouldn't be pissed at the police by any chance would you Cal? whistle
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Cal:
    Why don't they just buy a few satellites? Surely the budget would allow for a half dozen or so. Then we can get a ticket from space! Scum

Cal.
    Cal, don't put ideas in their heads mallet

Your right though I can see a time when speed sensors would be fitted to cars, automatically deducting $$$ from your bank account for infringements cry roll_lau cry

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Heh he...

Confronted with a judge shaking his head and asking, "Mr Norman, what are we going to do with you, always in here wasting the court's time?" the famous Eldred Norman answered:

"Well, how about we start a monthly account?"

Administrator
    GreenBlood:
    Cal:

Cal.
    Cal, don't put ideas in their heads mallet

Your right though I can see a time when speed sensors would be fitted to cars, automatically deducting $$$ from your bank account for infringements cry roll_lau cry

Cheers
    Chris
    lol...It would be a bit like playing a video game.

Game Over insert more money!!

Don't laugh at this people, has already hit the movies, Bruce Willis' The 5Th Element had both fines & points lost & if ya ran out of points the vehicle would no operate with you as the driver.
    whip Do as ya told sonny whip whip
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Cal
    Today's jokes and science fiction may very well be tomorrow's reality. George Orwell may have been correct.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Cal
    Phasis:
    You wouldn't be pissed at the police by any chance would you Cal? whistle
    No mate. It's not their fault. They have a job to do, just like everybody else. Have met some real pricks though. You meet them in all walks of life. The blue ones just concern me more because they have a hand canon on their hip!

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Thread Information