radar introduction
  • Register
  • Help
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

radar introduction

as the heading states
    i was told the other day that radars or even speed traps were around in the late 50's
    i find this a little hard to fathom but i may be wrong
    can anyone shed some light on this ?
    i was also told that speed cameras were also around in the late 50's
    again i find this a little strange but very willing to listen to those who may know more about this than i do

Advertisement
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Radar certainly made an appearance in early times... maybe not the fifties, but prior to me getting a licence in 1963.

They were gone again very soon after their arrival, none existed in NSW at the time I started to drive, but they were still in use elsewhere.

Speed cameras? No way... absolutely no way!

VIP Sponsor
    Yes, speed cameras were introduced fairly recently.
    They were invented by Maurice Gatsonides who won the Monte Carlo Rally in the early fifties in a Ford Zephyr!

Graham Wallis

I believe I read somewhere that he first tested radar on the main straight at Zandvoort in mid-1960... but that may not have been the first application of radar to speed assessment.

'Gatso' also drove big Humbers on the Monte, from memory...

The early speed traps were done by a copper hiding behind a telegraph pole waving a hankerchief to a mate down the road with a stop watch. Trick was if you saw him in the rear view mirror you simply stopped & then started again.
    The next trick was what was affectionately known as the "bar - b - que" which was a bloody great thing that resembled a 3 burner barby & was about the same size. It also needed a large bank of batteries to operate it and they had limited life, so as soon as the batteries went flat, they all went home. They used walkie talkies to communicate the speed from the unit to the one writing the ticket. It used to be claimed that thses had a limited top speed that they could register and I'm inclined to believe this could be true as I was once at the skiing at Moogerah Dam when a mates wife took ill with a suspected appendicitus. I was driving a GTHO Falcon so pointed it in the direction of Ipswich Hospital and floored it. As I crested a rise there was the boys in blue setting up the radar (BBQ) and I just appeared over the hill doing close on a ton but on a totally deserted road, mainly due to the activities at Moogerah and this was the "reception" for when they all headed home. This poor bloody whalloper was looking at me whilst hitting the side of the Barby that obviously had gone spac on him whilst his mate at the other end was standing there, eyes popping out of the head & screaming into the walkie talkie obviously calling for a reading on my speed. eek! deal
    The mate's wife almost had a hemmorage when she saw this & screamed "Stop Quick, you're going to be in trouble" but my response was I will be if I do, coz I couldn't imagine a Kingswood getting too close with the head start I had. eek!
    In between times we had the motor bike brigade which after the "Terror of the Tweed" a guy called Dickinson who had a reputation for even booking his fellow coppers and was an expert at riding in the blind spot checking speed. This came to an abrupt end when a few of the locals down the Tweed fitted wide view internal mirrors and braked suddenly causing aforesaid Mr D to suffer a few bruises & breakages. mallet cry
    The hanky brigade was the late 50's to early '60's, the Barby brigade from the late 60's, the bikes from about 57/8 about the time the Tiger 110 became popular. Subsequently these were replaced for a short term with the BSA Super Road Rockets and then the Norton Commanders, but the Trumpies were the favourites.

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I don't think Gatsonides had any 'upper limits' on his device... he was timing Grand Prix cars on the fastest part of the circuit.

If the subject's drifted to the other weapons in the taxation department's war against reasonable motoring, then the Cooper Ss, XU-1s and Chargers of the NSW jackboot corp between '66 and '73 must be remembered...

They are a revenue raiser I thought? 2_cents

Originally posted by danielsydney
    <strong>They are a revenue raiser I thought? 2_cents
    Has anyone implied they're not?

But it must be added, to be most effective, they needed the outright speed limits to be legislated... this didn't happen in NSW until the seventies. There was some 'speed zoning' in the late sixties, but not everywhere.

VIP Sponsor
    Gatsonides company makes the speed cameras (he died a few years back). They are known as Gatsos in the UK.

Graham Wallis

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    so i take it that people were not really caught speeding by radars or the like in the late 50's ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Well, I'm not sure. Probably the very early sixties in NSW, right through the sixties in some other states.

But there was no such offence as speeding once you got out of town in NSW.

pugrambo:
    so i take it that people were not really caught speeding by radars or the like in the late 50's ?
    That's correct, they didn't exist. As I say, it was the stop clock & the hanky trick.

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information