Tyres......Yet again, again
  • Register
  • Help

Tyres......Yet again, again

The van requires some new tyres.
    Is there a site I can visit for a ball park figure on costs per corner?
    Size is 175/ 65, 14in.

Advertisement

The standard Michy's have next to bugger all traction when taking off in the wet on an incline so I will look at other brands to compare.

There are no sites I'm aware of in Oz that have accurate prices.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Get on the phone & start ringin'

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

You can't buy Michelin tyres for the Berlingo.
    Quite amazing

Sure, I can buy 175/ 14 but not light truck rated (88).
    In fact, the only tyre I can purchase is a brand called Continental by special order & in short supply (aparently). They are $157 each.
    A warning for Berlingo drivers.

nJm
    Continentals are very good. Usually OEM on BMWs.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

gibgib:
    Quite amazing

In fact, the only tyre I can purchase is a brand called Continental by special order & in short supply (aparently). They are $157 each.
    A word to the wise; if the boofheads from Queensland Transport decide to have a blitz(kreig) and you are driving a van without LT rated tyres, they'll hang a ticket on you and put you off the road on the spot.
    Toyo used to put out a good range of LT tyres as did Bridgestone although I found Bridgestone to be very "'ows yer father" on CXs in the past. I wouldn't be too worried about Contimnentals though; usually a good tyre. Got a local Bob Jane near you? Might be worth a phone call.

Alan S

UFO
    gibgib:
    Quite amazing

What a load of crud! I was in Bob Jane T Mart this arvo waiting for them to fit 2 new MXV8s to the XM and I had in my hand a whizzo looking Michelin brochure that had a light truck tyre listed for the CitroŽn Berlingo. Of course not needing that brochure I left it behind. But I KNOW what I read.

I assume you have checked michelins site <a href="http://www.michelin.com.au" target="_blank">Mich Aus</a> to confirm this and if proven otherwise, I will gladly be howled down.

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO
    What a load of crud! I was in Bob Jane T Mart this arvo waiting for them to fit 2 new MXV8s to the XM and I had in my hand a whizzo looking Michelin brochure that had a light truck tyre listed for the CitroŽn Berlingo. Of course not needing that brochure I left it behind. But I KNOW what I read.

I assume you have checked michelins site <a href="http://www.michelin.com.au" target="_blank">Mich Aus</a> to confirm this and if proven otherwise, I will gladly be howled down.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

With Michelins track record of late, they probably decided to call them "classics" like they have with GS tyres.
    Personally, I think they've done you a favour, after all, how many ks on the clock of that Berlingo? I couldn't imagine too many, not enough to justify wearing a set of over-rated Michies out! mallet mallet
    Do yourself a favour & buy a decent tyre.
    dance
    Alan S cheers!

Michys show up on their site being available for the Berlingo
    <a href="http://www.michelin.com.au/tyres/tyr_pas_cata_agilis.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.michelin.com.au/tyres/tyr_pas_cata_agilis.cfm</a>

Not sure what they're telling me at the tyre place but I had 3 of the staff looking everywhere for a set to no avail.

I'm happy to give these Continental tyres a try.
    Hopefully they will be fitted tomorrow arvo.

Alan, I have 63km's up on the van now.

UFO
    I had a set of Continental's on Deb's Magna - great performing tyre but they only lasted around 20k km. Bit expensive!

I would say you are caught in the trap where the dealer is not a preferred michy supplier and therefore does not want to put the effort in. I would reckon that 63k km out of a set of tyres in your situation is pretty darn good.

Call the michelin 13 number and you will get onto their nearest preferred supplier.

BTW - with the tyres I got from BJTMart today, because the XM has solid centre mags (no hole) they couldn't do the standard machine balance "without pullin' the machine apart mate to fit tha adapta plate" so they asked "so when are you bringing it back for the on car balance?" It was 5.10pm, so they were none too keen to do it then.

I asked "so this is included in the standard price" "um er, I'll check with the boss - yeah she'll be right!"

So I think I did pretty darn good! roll_lau Back on Sat morn for the OCB and while they do that I'll wander down and pick the crap out of the german and swedish cars at the dealers down the road. Should be good for more roll_lau !
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO
    Well forget about Bob Jane and on car wheel balances - they couldn't work out how to do it without the other side wheel not turning. So then they decided they'd better put the adaptor on the off car machine and do them that way.

Well a three year old could have done a better job! I should go back and tell them that I could do better working in Dad's tyre service when I was 11!! The car drove like crap on the way to the Tech Day on Sunday. Vibratronic mallet

Anyway, it is going to a professional next Monday morning. He looked at it and said "yeah, as long as I can put the suspension on high she'll be fine."

ANWYAY - Gib Gib - I have got a copy of the Michelin brochure and the tyre you want is the Michelin Agilis 41 in 175/6514C. It has the comment "Agilis 41 reinf". It also the correct tyre for the MB Vito.

Hope this helps.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I had the Continentals fitted this arvo & while waiting in the waiting room I flipped through a Michelin brochure.
    They are in there alright, but they are not available according to Quik Fit. Quik Fit have the Michelin man out the front of their joint too.
    Anyways, the "Conty's" are really good so far. No wheel spin in the wet, which was a real problem with the Michey's (even when new) & I couldn't get them to skid under fairly heavy braking, also in the rain.
    I guess I'm a happy camper.

UFO:
    Well forget about Bob Jane and on car wheel balances
    I agree - I had two Certi fitted to my R25 by the BJ clowns here in Bendigo. They mangled my alloys with their rattle gun (I eventually got a cheque for $160 as compensation out of em', but still bloody annoying). They thumped about like mad from day one. I wasnt game to take it back to them, so I forked out extra dosh for my old local Michelin bloke in Melbourne (Eastland Tyre Centre in Ringwood - Stefen is a legend. Just bought himself a Clio Sport, so he doesnt bag your french car which is nice) to balance them for me. He got it spot on first time. That will teach me for being lazy and not waiting until I went to Melbourne to get tyres....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

The choice of tyres for 14" rims these days is really bad. I have to source myself a set of 15" rims so that I can get a decent tyre. Went to Bob Jane in city and the guy was obsessed with the P6000s, saying they are the best etc etc, and they were the only 'performance' tyre he sold in 14" for the 306.
    1995 306 XR

1000+ Posts
    PULS8R,

The P6000 is much much better than the Certis don't get me wrong Especially in the wet.

Derek.

nJm
    Let me guess, it isn't available in a 185/75 is it?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information