Day of the Jackal
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Day of the Jackal

I taped Day of the Jackal on Monday night on Ten and watched it today while I have been off work crook. Not a bad movie and I remember watching it years ago.

There are some howlers of time versus car model errors in it though. The movie is set in 1963 and at the start you see a fleet of DSs with various options on them (such as bonnet handles) They were all single headlight models though - they got that bit right.

Later during the movie you see plenty of series 2 DS (closed in headlights) and lots of Renault 12 and 16 - these were not around then I believe. I'm sure I saw a few Pug 504s as well!

Not too sure about the Italian models shown, but I bet there were some gaffs there as well.

I saw a real good gaff in a doco about WWII a couple of years back. The scene was allegedly Paris during the war and there was a heap of Tracion Avants going down the street - with a white DS in the middle of the crowd! Early prototype testing maybe??

Do you know of any other gaffs like these?

Advertisement
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig,

I remember another doco that was supposed to show Paris in the 20s - and the streets were full of Tractions! (Can't remember the name though)

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    you saw all those cars and failed to notice the 203's and 403's running around as well
    mind you it was hard to believe a 203 actually spinning wheels and then bieng chased by a 403 doing same and leaving a little tyre smoke behind
    must have been dirt on the road
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

The movie to see when it comes to French cars is the Angela Lansbury one called Mrs 'arris Goes to Paris...

Lots of stuff in there, and good fun identifying some of it.

UFO
    Pugrambo

Yes I did see the 203s and 403s in there, as well as some Panhards (2 go by just before the assasination attempt early in the movie) but I was only commenting on cars that were out of place for the period. There were also some Simcas amongst the crowds.

It is a veritable froggy car lover's paradise watching that movie. dance
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

nJm
    If you want to see heaps of froggies have a look at The Fench Connection II. I've also spotted pugs in some american movies - there is a blue 404 that crashes during the ridiculously long car chase in the original Gone in 60 Seconds, and the other night while I was channel hopping I saw a 505 being used as a New York yellow cab!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

VIP Sponsor
    All of the main cars in Day of the Jackal were correct, they just saved money by not setting up the street scenes to the period.
    The Odessa File movie (written by the same author and made around about the same time) also used this technique.
    The ABC recently had a program on the Heidleberg School of artists, late 1800s, which was shot in modern settings.

Graham Wallis

There's an episode of McLoud (or is it McCloud?) where he walks out of a building right at the finish and goes past a parked 404 wagon.

I thought that was pretty good.

Anyone remember the ad for New Caledonia that featured a 504 Coupe in the front of a luxury hotel?

Thread Information