Ahem! Not three bad eh?!
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Ahem! Not three bad eh?!

CITROËN TAKES THE LEAD IN THE WRC DRIVER'S CHAMPIONSHIP - TWICE!

Not content with taking the lead in the Drivers' and Manufacturers' World Rally Championships in Corsica a week ago, Citroën now has two drivers at the top of the Drivers' league table with Carlos Sainz and Sébastien Loeb on equal first after the weekend's (24-26 October 2003) WRC Rally Caralunya in Spain!

Advertisement

Finishing in second place in Spain, Sébastien Loeb has joined his team-mate Carlos Sainz, who was seventh, at the top of the Drivers' Classification. Citroën team mates Colin McRae and Philippe Bugalski finished in ninth and tenth position respectively, enabling Citroën to maintain its lead in the Manufacturers' Championship.

The sun shone on the first two days for both the event and Citroën with Sébastien Loeb leading from stage 2 to 21, but the third leg took place under heavy rain, which soaked the special stages and flooded the Vic service area. The clouds also came to the Citroën team.

Setting his pace according to that of his nearest rivals on the final day, Sébastien Loeb kept a margin that could be described as 'sufficient', if not 'comfortable ' by the end of the first loop. For the second time round the loop, the young French driver set off with the same tyres.

"As early as the first special stage," he explained, "I noticed that my closest rivals, having selected softer tyres, were threatening my position. I really did the most I could, whilst bearing in mind that I had to finish the event. I will not pretend that I am pleased at being beaten in the final special stage. However, I stayed on the road, and I have taken the lead of the Championship. Everything will be decided on the final round in Wales, just as could have been predicted since Corsica. And I don't intend to give up!"

Having given himself a bit of breathing space over François Duval during the first group of stages, Carlos Sainz made an unusual choice of tyres: he had a set of extremely soft, Monte-Carlo style, dry road tyres, re-cut to evacuate the water. With this rubber, the Madrid-based driver appeared to be able to retain his fourth position. However, the water that was being sprayed upwards was most probably behind the electrical problem which stopped his engine for forty seconds during the final special stage, and which saw him slide down to seventh place. Although the faulty parts were changed during the final service, the problem reoccurred on the road section heading back to Lloret de Mar. He checked in one minute late - meaning a 10-second penalty - which did not affect the classification.

"I am used to being very careful until we have reached the finish line," Team Director Guy Fréquelin pointed out at the finish. "And the way this event finished is not going to change my mind. Our two best-placed cars had problems at the same time, and we lost the benefit of a race which had gone perfectly until then. We will obviously analyse exactly what happened, in order to learn any lessons. However, it is very positive that two of our drivers are leading their Championship, while we remain in the lead in the Manufacturers' competition. You can count on us to defend these positions relentlessly in Wales"

Telefónica Movistar, Michelin, Magneti-Marelli, Kinetic, OZ, AIS and Citroën Financement are the partners of Team Citroën Total in the World Rally Championship

RALLYE CATALUNYA WITH FIGURES

Stage wins :
    Leg 1 : SS1 : P. Solberg (Subaru Impreza) - SS2, 3 and 4 : Sébastien Loeb (Xsara WRC) - SS5 : Markko Märtin (Ford Focus) - SS6, SS7 : Gilles Panizzi (Peugeot 206) - SS8 : S. Loeb
    Leg 2 : SS9 : G. Panizzi - SS10 : M. Märtin - SS11 : G. Panizzi - SS12 : François Duval (Ford Focus) - SS13 : Richard Burns (Peugeot 206) - SS14 and 15 : M. Märtin - SS16 : S. Loeb
    Leg 3 : SS17 : P. Solberg - SS18 : Roman Kresta (Peugeot 206) - SS19 : Tommii Mäkinen (Subaru Impreza) - SS20 : M. Märtin - SS21 : Marcus Grönholm (Peugeot 206) - SS22 : G. Panizzi

Best performers
    S. Loeb, 5 fastest times - M. Märtin, 5 - G. Panizzi, 5 - P. Solberg, 2 - F. Duval, 1 - R. Burns, 1 - R.Kresta, 1 - T. Mäkinen, 1 - M. Grönholm, 1.
    Leaders
    SS1 : P. Solberg - SS2 to SS21 S. Loeb - SS22 : G. Panizzi

Overall classification
    G. Panizzi - H. Panizzi (Peugeot 206) 3 h 55 mn 09,4 s
    S. Loeb - D. Elena (Citroën Xsara) + 13 s
    M. Märtin - M. Park (Ford Focus) + 13,6 s
    F. Duval - S. Prevot (Ford Focus) + 55,4 s
    P. Solberg - P. Mills (Subaru Impreza) + 1 mn 10,8 s
    M. Grönholm - T. Rautiainen (Peugeot 206) + 1 mn 29,1 s
    C. Sainz - M. Marti (Citroën Xsara) + 1 mn 43 s
    T. Mäkinen - K. Linström (Subaru Impreza) + 1 mn 55,1 s
    C. McRae - D. Ringer (Citroën Xsara) + 3 mn 15,2 s
    P. Bugalski - JP Chiaroni (Citroën Xsara) + 5 mn 13,6 s

Manufacturers' Championship
    1. Citroën, 147points dance citroen_ - 2. Peugeot, 142 points - 3. Subaru, 93 - 4. Ford, 89 - 5. Skoda, 21 - 6. Hyundai, 12.

Drivers' Championship
    1. S. Loeb citroen_ head_ban , 63 pts - 2. C. Sainz head_ban citroen_ , 63 points - 3. P. Solberg, 62 - 4. R. Burns, 58 :p - - 5. M. Märtin, 49 - 6. M. Grönholm, 46 - 7. C. McRae, 40 - 8. G. Panizzi, 27 - 9. F. Duval, 26 - 10. T. Mäkinen, 24 - 11. H. Rovanperä, 18 - 12. T. Gardemeister, 9 - 13. D. Auriol, 4 - 14. C. Robert - 15. M. Hirvonen, 3 - 16. A. McRae, 3 - 17. A. Schwarz, 3 - 18. J. Tuohino, 2 - 19. Ph. Bugalski, 1 - 20. F. Loix, 1 - 21. A. Ginley, 1 - 22. S. Lindholm, 1.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

XTC
    It's a frog flood ... !!!

It's great to see Philippe Bugalski back in the picture .... but Gilles still proves that Richard and Marcus don't have a 100% safe place @ peugeot_ (nor does C.McRae @ citroen_ judging by his 2003 performances).

- XCT206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Mc Rae will be lucky to get a ride in a skoda next year .As for Pannizi, peugeot only expect him to win tarmac rallies, if he gets any points in other races its a bonus.Marcus on the other hand seemed to be more interested in his personal battles with Burns.

I am very dissapointed with Peugeots efforts this year, i think they thought success would just come like previous years.That said Citreon deserves every success it gets this year.....However i suppose it doesnt really mattter since we are the same company.

Wow, it's turning out to be tight finish! And there is one one rally to go, right?

Troy.

XTC
    TroyO:
    Wow, it's turning out to be tight finish! And there is one one rally to go, right? Troy.
    Yep ... Rally GB couldn't ask for a better scenario.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

great news isnt it craig. Sorry for trying to steal your book last night....

Thread Information